Problem with Windows 98 backing up

rjmiller15

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I recently went over to my aunt's house to peek at her failing computer. It's running Windows 98 and keeps freezing and crashing. I can get the computer to open up enough to get to her documents which need backing up.

I tried plugging in my usb device, which the OS didn't recognize b/c it's Windows 98 - it keeps asking for a driver. Did the same thing with my usb portable hard drive. What can I do to get these devices to work enough to get the data off the computer?

Thanks for any help

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You'll need the drivers for these USB devices. Download them and burn them to CD, or if they are small enough, put them on a floppy. Next time you stick in your USB drive and Win98 prompts for the driver, insert your CD/floppy and point Windows to the necessary files. This is my primary reason for using Windows ME over windows 98. Among the many improvements, Windows ME doesn't need drivers for USB storage drives. If you can get a copy of Windows ME (they should be almost free by now), I highly suggest you install it over Windows 98.