Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battlefield 2 Demo

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:47:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

I've only played the Battlefield 2 demo in single-player, so far. It's
fairly addictive.

I've got a 3 Gig P4 Processor, 1 Gig of RAM, SB2 Live and a GeForce 6600 GT
and I had to turn the settings down to medium at 1024x768x60hz; otherwise,
slowdowns were untolerable. Having some graphics settings on high actually
caused a CTD at the same resolution.

It's quite a bit of fun in SP. The A.I. is pretty good, now. Just stay out
of the way of friendly vehicles, 'cause they'll run you over without
thinking much of it. (They'll have the courtesy to honk first, though.)

All bullets seem very weak unless you aim for the head. Accuracy even when
prone looking through iron sights seems all over the place. Maybe I'm just
shooting at guys with body armor using the anemic 5.56mm NATO...

Ragdolls aren't the best, but they aren't the worst, either. Vehicle
physics seems a lot better than BF2. Various vehicle types go over
obstacles the way I expect them to.

Artillery is just plain deadly. If you're caught in the zone all you can do
is go prone and pray. Sometimes you live. Heh, once I was on a roof and
got hit dead-on by the first round, so I didn't even hear it coming. Got
launched.

Enemy A.I. is very aggressive with the knife. If they are up and running
and within knife range they'll switch to the knife and cut you down if you
let 'em.

Seems like even tank engagements will be taking place at much closer ranges
than Desert Combat. Might just be the way the perspective/FOV is drawn.
Main gun going off near an infantryman jars his noodle.

Either I haven't discovered the tricks, or it seems like there should be a
lot more hiding places in the buildings than there are. No helos in SP, so
maybe I need to take a chopper in.

More about : battlefield demo

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:01:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

After meddling with the BF2 Demo for alotta hours yesterday. Gettin past GFX
setup and gettin it to run something remotely like smooth. A bud and i,
setup a 64 player lan server to test it out, with all the demo-availible
vehicles. First off, while the game looks good, they took realism and
absolutely tossed it to the wind. Weapons are not balanced, and do very
little damage, all the way up to the 120mm Gun on the M1 Abrams tank. The
64player area, while significantly larger than the 16, and 32, is still not
large enuff for the Aircraft. And the demo's controls for the aircraft has
an issue, lotsa posts in many forums about the mapping for controls. Then
again, the game is not supposedta be based on realism, from what i'm to
understand. Just use real world weapons and vehicles, then something that
resembles squad based tactics, into a mindless arcade-console game.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:59:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

>I've seen both tracers and bullet impact indications (puff of smoke or
>something) in BF2. What do you have your graphics set to?
I never saw any tracers in this game (maybe from tanks a bit), the
puff/smoke is nothing special thats what we can expect at least.
y graphicssettings were 1st at default, then i also played it with
medium details and a high resolution, I have a directx 9 graphiccard.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

I saw BF2 for the first time last week for about 45 seconds.

<sarcasm>
I love the way tanks completely disintegrate.
</sarcasm>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:59:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

That's nothing new to BF

Yeah, I would personally love to have wrecks all over the place, but imagine
how wrecks might actually prevent movement on the map and result in broken
gameplay.

OFP is a lot more open than some of these BF maps.


"Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:8-ydnc8GJrKVnF3fRVn-uQ@magma.ca...
>I saw BF2 for the first time last week for about 45 seconds.
>
> <sarcasm>
> I love the way tanks completely disintegrate.
> </sarcasm>
>
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:16:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

"Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p aSxe.215230$w15.111036@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> That's nothing new to BF
>
> Yeah, I would personally love to have wrecks all over the place, but
> imagine how wrecks might actually prevent movement on the map and result
> in broken gameplay.
>
> OFP is a lot more open than some of these BF maps.

That's why I hate games that just respawn things endlessly.

I love to mow down an entire enemy squad in OFP, load up all their stuff in
a truck or two, then move on to the next group with the extra resources,
knowing they're not infinite...
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
> "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p aSxe.215230$w15.111036@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>>That's nothing new to BF
>>
>>Yeah, I would personally love to have wrecks all over the place, but
>>imagine how wrecks might actually prevent movement on the map and result
>>in broken gameplay.
>>
>>OFP is a lot more open than some of these BF maps.
>
>
> That's why I hate games that just respawn things endlessly.
>
> I love to mow down an entire enemy squad in OFP, load up all their stuff in
> a truck or two, then move on to the next group with the extra resources,
> knowing they're not infinite...
>
>

Absolutely right
Respawning endlessly is for kids
That's why I loathed BF1942 with a passion. I still can't believe I was
daft enough to waste money on it.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:51:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Mort<TZW> wrote:

>> I love to mow down an entire enemy squad in OFP, load up all their stuff in
>> a truck or two, then move on to the next group with the extra resources,
>> knowing they're not infinite...
>
> Absolutely right
> Respawning endlessly is for kids
> That's why I loathed BF1942 with a passion. I still can't believe I was daft
> enough to waste money on it.

They're also two very different types of game. One is a straight arcade
kill everything that moves game and the other is more of a war simulator.

Although some people don't get that.
!