If I install Vista in my xp pc will I lose everything

dos1986

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I got a dell dimension 9200 pc a few months ago that came with a free upgrade to vista premium when it comes out.

So now I want upgrade it to vista but dont want to lose all the programs I have installed,as I dont have a serial key for all them.

The video files and other documents can be easily backed up so that doesnt bother me its just that some of those programs are worth a lot and I dont want to lose them.

So is there any way of installing Vista without losing those programs.

Im not sure about dual boot etc......it seems very complicated and im not the greatest at pc's so I doubt I could do it even If I wanted to.

So am I stuck with Xp

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I also have a free upgrade path to vista but am more concerned that vista is just not tuned up enough yet to be my primary operating system --- would still like to use it --- just to try and learn about it.

One option I was thinking was using vpc 2007 which is free and install vista on my xp machine in a virtual machine --- I currently use a virtual xp machine with xp as host on my computers and dont notice any difference in speed --- i'm sure vista might prove different (slower).

One part of the problem is that if I installed vista in virtual machine under my xp system is that it could invalidate the activation (as you would need to activiate vista in the vm --- so if you wanted to install it on the host --- i would not be able to --- but you could try it and not activate it to see it works - you would have 30 days before activation is required).

Other option might be for you to try the opposite --- ie:install xp as a vm in vista --- but you say that you dont have serial key for programs???? Only option if this is case might be to try vista in a vm using xp as host. If your computers have virtual hardware support --- they may run quite fast --- at anyrate there's no charge to try it.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Another option I just discovered can be found on vmware.com. Website.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

There is product vmware calls vmware converter 3.0. From what I was reading it can convert an existing hard drive into a virtual machine (does not "destroy or overwrite" your existing machine. Thus, you might be able to convert your existing setup to a virtual machine --- dont know enough about it to say if it will actually work in your situation or to give you all the tech stuff behind --- but it is interesting. If it would work -- you could convert your existing os system to a virtual hard drive --- back this up and then copy back to your vista system and use the virtual machine to access your old xp system.

I believe the vmware converter is free --- but you may need vmware work station to run it which may cost you some money - i think its $169???not sure on this.

Hope all goes well

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
P. S.

One another note with regard to vmware --- have seen some papers recently written where microsoft is restricting use of vmware with regard to vista --- I think it primary relates to using vista in a vm vmware machine but not to using vmware to run xp under a vista host. May want to confirm this if you elect to go this route. (In my opinion, all this is due to microsoft licensing in attempt to further eliminate competition (ie:vmware) --- but thats a topic for another discussion)

More can be found

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_licensing_wp.html

Hope i'm not confusing you or getting to technical for you here as virtual machines are easy to use once you get use to them. Just dont want to lead you down a dead end.

Yes, you will lose EVERYTHING! Your house, your car... kiss them all goodbye. Then, when it seems it can't get any worse, Bill Gates himself will come to the hole you're living in (dressed up as The Great Satan) and force you to watch him eat your babies!

The horror!!

All kidding aside... as long as your programs are compatible with Vista, you shouldn't have any issues. Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor to be sure. It could potentially tell you that you have to upgrade some hardware (most likely video card); but as long as you can run Aero, you should be able to politely ignore this advice.