Votes: 21 58.3%
  • AMD

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

JiggaJigga

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Hey guys,

I know this is a very un-accurate question because people will wonder, which processors to compare. So let me give you guidelines.

-Which company makes longer lasting processors

-Which company has the best processor

-Who has better prices

-Which company makes better heat sinks for their processors

Thats about it. Try not to be Biased about it. To explain the reason for wanting to know this would take too long. So again don't say AMD just because you own one and what you have is the best. Tell the truth and if you don't know what your talking about, don't say anything please.

Thank you.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Don't do it! Just don't!

This is where you are gonna end up with this.

1530418-karate-wtf2.gif

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hey guys,

I know this is a very un-accurate question because people will wonder, which processors to compare. So let me give you guidelines.
Its really arbitrary. Average life for a processor is about 5 years (?), but you'll only be using it for 3~4 years at most, before moving on to the new technology. However, at this rate, I would say Intel's processor (Core uArch) is longer lasting, since their processors run cooler, with less power.
Intel has the undisputed performance crown at the moment. We'll see more once AMD's K10 reveals.

-Who has better prices
At the lower end, AMD's pricings are pretty competitive. However, Intel's price drop just recently may offset that advantage. At the higher end, Intel owns that part of the segment.

I really don't know about this one. I would say Intel's better, because currently Intel's stock HSF were designed to accomondate Pentium 4, which runs considerably hotter than Athlon X2s. Also, with Intel's stock HSF, you'll be able to overclock Core 2 by a decent margin, before you have to switch to higher end HSF.

Thank you.[/quote]

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Hey guys,

-Who has better prices

Thats about it. Try not to be Biased about it. To explain the reason for wanting to know this would take too long. So again don't say AMD just because you own one and what you have is the best. Tell the truth and if you don't know what your talking about, don't say anything please.

Thank you.

About 75% of the market buys Intel for some reason, but Baron Matrix likes AMD processors. So it is a tie.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

It's a tossup now, AMD use to have the good overclockers and there for the processors with the longer lasting potential, but now Intel has a very good line of overclockers. AMD is usually better about making several lines that work with the same slot, so....

Right now Intel, better high end chips with great Ocing potential.

-Who has better prices
AMD better mid and low range CPU prices.

From experaince and from issues I have read AMD. the AMD Opti I got, I had no heat problems, but with my current system (see sig) I had to get a better cooler because the temps were reaching 80C to 83C at stock settings under full load.

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Ya dingus! You missed the mark with that comment. Jack currently uses Intel equipment (can't remember if it is dual or quad core). You opened yourself up to a flame war with this thread..Go away!

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Uggggghhhhh

Flamethrower_5.jpg

Hey, Spiderman 3 comes out in a few weeks.

I disagree and you are obviously an AMD fanboy. Why don't you just look at the facts and stop spewing FUD. :x

just warming up
oh really?
the facts you present are nothing more than biased statement from a diehard Intel fanboy.

why don't you get a life too.... nerd boy :p :p

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
AMD, then Intel, then AMD, then Intel, then AMD, then Intel . . . .

In building my Video Editing Systems I've had to use intel because of incompatibility of AMD chipsets with lots of hardware. For general-purpose use I just want fast, cheap, and couldn’t care less about brand. Upgrade ability is a bonus but it always seems that Sockets and\or Ram specs have changed by the time there is a worthwhile upgrade available in my price range.

I like what Intel has done in the last year. Before C2D I think both companies were overpriced on the high end and slow to produce performance-enhancing processors. Hopefully AMD will have a good answer and competition will continue at a good pace.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Since this is the internet, and the worst thing that can happen is I get flamed by some 30-something living in his mother's basement, I'm going to say AMD.

*Looks for the nearest nuclear fallout shelter*

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I have not voted in this poll because I believe they both deserve their merits. The tables are turning all the time to who has the faster processor. I have mostly used AMD processors in my desktops and I am currently using a overclocked 4400+. My performance is still good, so I am not planning any CPU upgrade any time soon. If I was in the market for a CPU now it would be a Core 2 Duo.
In the Mobile laptop sector I do believe Intel make great CPU's. My current Core Duo offers nice performance and is apparently power efficient, which is important where battery life is concerned.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
just look at the intel p1 through p3 and tell me that it didn't get confusing. AMD cept using the same slot for most of that time. 940 is a server line, and 939 and AM2 take about the same thing so far.

eav

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
wow, had to see it to believe it. Seriously, i think you should go for an IBM Aptiva p2 300mhz or so. pretty awesome stuff. has like 131072 bytes of memory. Smells like Koweit is in flames!!!

Hey guys,

-Who has better prices

Thank you.

Based on my experience - none of the above. I vote for Zilog. We have 20 year old Z-80s still working in a military environment.

I still have an old Intel P233 running at 300 MHz. And last December, while cleaning out my junk bin, I dumped a functioning 486 motherboard.

Semiconductors pretty much become technologically obsolete before they die of old age.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
VIA, of course. I'm now a 100% VIA fanboy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VIA is working on secret upgrades to it's S3 Chrome series of GPUs and it's C7 line of CPUs. Once this combination is unleashed VIA will quickly take market share from AMD and Intel and both will BK by Q2'08! :lol: