Sign in with
Your question

NO BSOD Virus,Spyware, etc.YET??????

Last response: in Windows XP
March 9, 2007 9:31:57 PM

Ok, i have been running Windows XP Home for about two to three years and I still have not even gotten a Virus,Spyware, BSOD, or any other OS related problems. Is this possible? I have kept an up to date copy of all my data, so losing data is not a problem,(Daily back up to a External 150GB HD). I have not herd from any one running XP who has not had problems for 3 years. Is it possible there is some thing wrong, such as a hidden Virus,etc that gives me false information about Virus status?

Here are the software I use:

Firefox 2.0(Rarely use IE7)
AVG 7.5
Trend Micro PC Cillin
SpyBot S&D
Acronis True Image 10 (Back UP)
CCleaner
AusLogic Defrag
Paint.NET
VB.NET Express
PCMark2005
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 6.0b, ACID XMC 6.0, DVD Archetect Studio 3.0 [All Solny Software listed above)
PhotoShop CS2, Acrobat, Flash, Shockwave.
AVS DVD Player
HP Printer Software
Call of Duty2
Halo CE
DOOM III
Office 2003 and Office 2007

*All Software and Windows is up to date*

These are all the software I am running on this rig. Surprised that I still have not had any problems with XP :o  . Any one else have run XP for over 3+ years with out problems? Just curious to know. :D 

More about : bsod virus spyware

March 10, 2007 12:14:09 AM

Yes, that is perfectly possible. With some regular maintenance and an understanding of where virus' come from and how to avoid them, XP is a very good operating system.

I also have never had a virus detected or spyware on my XP rig. I don't recall every having it crash either. I always use well known software and I stay away from file sharing programs such as Kazaa. I also defragment my hard drive and clean my registry on occasion.

Once you get into file sharing, cracks and things of that nature, you are in for a rough ride. People tend to blame that on XP.

The problems that I read about here are generally caused by the user, failing hardware or inadequate hardware (crappy or undersized PSU's to be specific). It's hard to blame the OS on those, but people often do.

I'm not saying that XP is perfect, but I think it takes more of a beating than it deserves. I'm sure people will disagree.
March 10, 2007 6:11:04 PM

XP's biggest problem (IMHO) comes from setting an administrator account by default for all users which makes it easier for viruses to infect and for inexperienced users to mess the system up.

How many Unix/Linux/BSD users that you know use the root account for everyday use?
March 10, 2007 10:40:18 PM

Quote:
XP's biggest problem (IMHO) comes from setting an administrator account by default for all users which makes it easier for viruses to infect and for inexperienced users to mess the system up.

How many Unix/Linux/BSD users that you know use the root account for everyday use?

None :D 
March 11, 2007 10:05:45 AM

Anyway I think that that is no longer the case with vista (haven't tried vista myself this is what I've heard)
No mtter how well MS designs their OS their is going to be more compromised systems because of the popularity of the OS and the fact that the computer literacy of the average MS windows user is waaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than that of someone using an alternative OS>
March 12, 2007 10:26:35 PM

Quote:
Anyway I think that that is no longer the case with vista (haven't tried vista myself this is what I've heard)
No mtter how well MS designs their OS their is going to be more compromised systems because of the popularity of the OS and the fact that the computer literacy of the average MS windows user is waaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than that of someone using an alternative OS>

Very true indeed. Tested Vista out my self (have an Vista RTM on my dedicated Beta PC :D  ) Wont upgrade my main till SP1 or 2.
March 13, 2007 4:20:59 PM

Me i'll wait till there is a directx 10 game that I must have (and i'm not a big fan of fps)
March 19, 2007 9:41:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, i have been running Windows XP Home for about two to three years and I still have not even gotten a Virus,Spyware, BSOD, or any other OS related problems. Is this possible? I have kept an up to date copy of all my data, so losing data is not a problem,(Daily back up to a External 150GB HD). I have not herd from any one running XP who has not had problems for 3 years. Is it possible there is some thing wrong, such as a hidden Virus,etc that gives me false information about Virus status?

If there are no signs that your PC is being compromised by the presence of stealth viruses and spyware (i.e. slowign down of your PC), I think your PC is clean. You best practices aside from installing your anti virus and anti spyware are worth emulating.
March 20, 2007 12:01:47 PM

Quote:

I use the root account fedora for daily use, dunno why always have. its an old version so not so fussed if it breaks, just re-install!

NOTE: All new systems since then get a proper usrename/password combo and I also don't advise using the root account unless you know what it can do!

Oh, I reinstall my XP install every 6 months or so, I use lots of programs, so a fresh install gets rid of all the stuff those utilities don't find....., also guards against any viruses lurking (haven't used a virus scanner for over a year, never been infected!
March 20, 2007 12:12:12 PM

Quote:

I use the root account fedora for daily use, dunno why always have. its an old version so not so fussed if it breaks, just re-install!

Confucius say
Quote:
He who play in root eventually kill tree
:) 
March 21, 2007 11:35:10 AM

Nope, never, but my best run was 1 and a half years til the hard drive failed.

I use most of the programs you have listed, spybot brings up some stuff but nothing big. One program you haven't listed(so i'm assuming you don't use it) is Lavasoft Ad-Aware. I run it every couple of days and it finds a few things that others don't. Best one was the Generic.Prondialer it found once.
March 21, 2007 9:30:29 PM

I love that quote... Good stuff... 8)
March 22, 2007 6:27:01 AM

Thanks it's one of my favourites too
!