What do YOU have against Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Yes, what do you hate. I don't care about what a stupid site says.

I've been using Vista Premium OEM for 6 hours now. No blue screens, no driver problems, no decrease in performance compared to XP. Why is everyone against Vista!?

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Here are my reasons I have concern with vista:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Not to say I hate vista --- only that I believe it negates or slows innovation in the pc industry while increasing costs. Time could prove me wrong as it is new --- i'lll give you that. But so far --- its been rather a strange new breed of operating system with a lot of negative reviews from sources that I respect--- we may have to wait a year to see what really happens.

I'm glad that your pc is doing ok ---perhaps its new pc --- unlike past upgrades for windows --- vista really needs a new pc (less than a year old) unless you want to do major upgrades. Curious what type of pc you are running as all technical data I have reviewed indicates around a 20% decrease in performance vs. xp. Perhaps, you could do some of your own testing and time how long it takes to load a large photo shop file or something cpu intensive (other than superfetch stuff - which relates to application opening).

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Most of those cons are small.

Yeah, my system is pretty new.

E6600
P5B Deluxe
Kingston 1 GB DDR2 533
7600GT

Vista runs so bad on my Dell 3000. It's horrible, and that computer is only 2 years old.

Pentium 4
2 GB DDR-400, Corsair, then it was $100! NOW IT'S $250 8O
Onboard graphics...I think that's the problem. :lol:

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I agree with you that your older systems intergrated graphic cards would probably be problem--- There are a lot of questions in my mind ---- dont know if you read the link i posted ----- but it brings up issues that are not "small" ---- at least to me.

Main thing is if microsoft removed all the drm stuff from vista --- it would be great ---- the drm stuff is whats causing all the driver and performance problems as much of the resources of the pc are used in "protecting content" even if not being used.

Would be good to hear from you a month from now once you have games, videos, and other things running so we could all here a complete review ---i certainly would appreciate it

To be honest with you, I have heard a lot from both sides and really dont know what to believe other than for myself i am holding off. In vista's defense, I can say its new and this always happens when a new operating system is unleashed on the market From a general standpoint, I can say that I dont like all the new drm stuff in vista as it just complicates things from every perspective and increases costs of hardware and software.

For now the verdict is still out---would just like to hear real experiences rather than all the fluff stuff I sometime hear in hear (on both sides) - not saying qwazzy that you are fluffing --- just want to hear good opinions from others also.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yes, what do you hate.

Not much. Had some problems, but they've been working themselves out as time has gone on. A few games won't play, and one won't even load properly anymore after playing fine for weeks.

Other then those things haven't really had many other issues. Sound quality is a bit better, and I haven't run into any digital rights management issues either, even when I thought I had. I must just have gotten lucky. Too bad I don't believe in luck.

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Last night I uninstalled (deleted my Raid0stripe) Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade. I Installed my Windows XP Pro back onto my pc which I had installed the vista upgrade over and did the standard telephone XP activation without any problems or hassles. I installed the same windows vista home premium upgrade onto another older pc of mine
not specific specs but
amd64 Athlon 3700+ 2.4ghz clawhammer
asus k8v se deluxe socket 754 mobo
3x1gb sticks of kingston (single channel)
geforce 6800 vid card
160gb western digital hd

using the same vista disk as the upgrade method and the activation tech asked the same questions and give me an activation code without a problem. I really hated wasting my time lagging in pc games and not getting the most out of my 8800gtx video card. I had disabled most of the senseless administrator prompts and tried to put up with compatibility mode properties with xp software but I just couldnt do it anymore. I still like vista alot but I want to wait til stuff gets ironed out and more vista software/drivers are made FOR vista. The pc that I installed vista on will just be used to visting websites, chatting, basic non gaming stuff.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Great posts guys. I'm happy that I haven't had a problem for 2 days now. My games work great. Haven't really tried videos yet. I need to get them from my external HD. Anyway, I was really against Vista, but then I decided to take the plunge. :lol: For me, as of right now, there's only one con, and that's the UAC. I haven't run into any DRM pproblems yet.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
qwazzy,

I have heard a lot of complaints about the UAC ---- can this be disabled so it does not pose problem --- unsure if turning this off poses security risk as you still have firewall ??? Also heard that some people are turning surperfetch off to increase memory from swapping in and out --- be curious to here from users as to how you can fine tune vista to make it run better. Hope microsoft fixes the UAC as here a lot about this.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
UAC can be turned off, but its the usual microsoft thing. When you turn it off and reboot, you get an annoying pop-up saying 'UAC has been turned off, click to turn it back on etc..'

Once someone can disable that annoying pop-up for me then i will be happy. :D

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
UAC can be turned off, but its the usual microsoft thing. When you turn it off and reboot, you get an annoying pop-up saying 'UAC has been turned off, click to turn it back on etc..'

Once someone can disable that annoying pop-up for me then i will be happy. :D

I disabled UAC once and never had any pop ups.
maybe you just suck, you know what I mean? Yea yea buy the OS first before trolling.

Been running vista for a couple of weeks, excellent OS. I realy like it over XP.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
What the hell are you on about sir?

I bought Vista 3months ago and while i am happy with it and would love to keep it installed, i am reverting back to XP today because it's a waste of resources.

And i was talking about Security Center popping up everytime i logged back on to tell me UAC was disabled.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I really think MS had probs with burning Vista to CDs. :lol: Why are we getting these problems, and sometimes our systems are the exact same.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I will tell you ==== i really dont know whats going on with vista --- heard a lot from everyone--- some for ---- some against ---- some that are just frustrated and some that just plain love it.

When you guys figure it out, let me know

riser

Illustrious
If you go into Control Panel - Local Security Policy

Under.. hmm. Account and Security I think?

The last 6-7 security policies you can disable and the other set to elevate rights.

That will remove your pops up. I do that standard on Vista computers to remove the annoying pop ups.

As far as resources. yeah, it is a hog. I'm debating that when I install Vista on my home computer if I'm going to just skip installing Aero. Outside that, it shouldn't be too much more of a resource hog.

But, Aero is a big part. I would expect a patch to be out in a few months that will either reduce the resources required or allow you to customize it so its not so draining.

I really believe Aero was targeted more at the work computer than a home user feature though - Those not playing games.

Other than that, I haven't seen any hardware problems. I have some software that won't run on Vista yet but those companies are working on getting a compatible upgrade out.. so I can't hold that against Vista.

As always, wait the standard 6 months to 1 year to move to a new OS in my opinion. Everyone who has switched over already is experiencing all the first time problems.

Those who switched over are the real Beta testers. All those complaints, Microsoft will hopefully take a look at and adjust.

Businesses will switch in 1-3 because of the licensing agreements they get from MS. That way, by the time they switch all us home users who were quick to swtich will have ran into most of the problems. :p

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Yes, Vista is a resource hog. I am running pretty new hardware but with 1 GB memory. It sucks. And I don't even have many apps open. 2 GB is definetely what everyone should get.

riser

Illustrious
Good old Gates said you'd never need more than 1MB of memory. :)

I think they're trying to make the OS too powerful with little benefit in return.

I think when you install Vista you have the option to install Aero or not. You can't turn it off after its been installed.. that's the resource hog.

Yeah, it looks nice but I gain nothing from it. I wouldn't install it if I had the choice. When it becomes worthwhile, then I'd go back to installing it.

ronin_cse

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
what do I have against Vista and MS in general? They are the top company in their market(s) right now, so they are the embodiment of evil! DOWN WITH MS! On a side note, I really hate sony and their PS3 and I can't wait until the Xbox 360 crushes them.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Well, here's how much I love Vista. My brand new laptop with 1GB of RAM that came with Vista Basic is now running XP Pro. Here's what I really hated about Vista:

Vista in Safe Mode used 230MB of RAM.
XP with all my security programs: 260MB of RAM
Vista (Aero was disabled via services.msc, and everything was turned off via msconfig) with just Norton used 400MB of RAM
XP plus Yahoo, MSN, GAIM, Media Player 11, and Word 2K3 used 420MB of RAM

I just bought the thing to do Word on the go. I just hated the fact I was doing more in XP with less memory than I was just running Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.