Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What do YOU have against Vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 10, 2007 3:52:07 AM

Yes, what do you hate. I don't care about what a stupid site says.

I've been using Vista Premium OEM for 6 hours now. No blue screens, no driver problems, no decrease in performance compared to XP. Why is everyone against Vista!?

More about : vista

March 10, 2007 4:37:48 AM

Here are my reasons I have concern with vista:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.h...

Not to say I hate vista --- only that I believe it negates or slows innovation in the pc industry while increasing costs. Time could prove me wrong as it is new --- i'lll give you that. But so far --- its been rather a strange new breed of operating system with a lot of negative reviews from sources that I respect--- we may have to wait a year to see what really happens.

I'm glad that your pc is doing ok ---perhaps its new pc --- unlike past upgrades for windows --- vista really needs a new pc (less than a year old) unless you want to do major upgrades. Curious what type of pc you are running as all technical data I have reviewed indicates around a 20% decrease in performance vs. xp. Perhaps, you could do some of your own testing and time how long it takes to load a large photo shop file or something cpu intensive (other than superfetch stuff - which relates to application opening).
March 10, 2007 4:47:37 AM

Most of those cons are small.

Yeah, my system is pretty new.

E6600
P5B Deluxe
Kingston 1 GB DDR2 533
7600GT

Vista runs so bad on my Dell 3000. It's horrible, and that computer is only 2 years old.

Pentium 4
2 GB DDR-400, Corsair, then it was $100! NOW IT'S $250 8O
Onboard graphics...I think that's the problem. :lol: 
Related resources
March 10, 2007 5:13:32 AM

I agree with you that your older systems intergrated graphic cards would probably be problem--- There are a lot of questions in my mind ---- dont know if you read the link i posted ----- but it brings up issues that are not "small" ---- at least to me.

Main thing is if microsoft removed all the drm stuff from vista --- it would be great ---- the drm stuff is whats causing all the driver and performance problems as much of the resources of the pc are used in "protecting content" even if not being used.

Would be good to hear from you a month from now once you have games, videos, and other things running so we could all here a complete review ---i certainly would appreciate it

To be honest with you, I have heard a lot from both sides and really dont know what to believe other than for myself i am holding off. In vista's defense, I can say its new and this always happens when a new operating system is unleashed on the market From a general standpoint, I can say that I dont like all the new drm stuff in vista as it just complicates things from every perspective and increases costs of hardware and software.

For now the verdict is still out---would just like to hear real experiences rather than all the fluff stuff I sometime hear in hear (on both sides) - not saying qwazzy that you are fluffing --- just want to hear good opinions from others also.
March 10, 2007 5:57:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, what do you hate.

Not much. Had some problems, but they've been working themselves out as time has gone on. A few games won't play, and one won't even load properly anymore after playing fine for weeks.

Other then those things haven't really had many other issues. Sound quality is a bit better, and I haven't run into any digital rights management issues either, even when I thought I had. I must just have gotten lucky. Too bad I don't believe in luck.
March 10, 2007 6:21:41 AM

Last night I uninstalled (deleted my Raid0stripe) Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade. I Installed my Windows XP Pro back onto my pc which I had installed the vista upgrade over and did the standard telephone XP activation without any problems or hassles. I installed the same windows vista home premium upgrade onto another older pc of mine
not specific specs but
amd64 Athlon 3700+ 2.4ghz clawhammer
asus k8v se deluxe socket 754 mobo
3x1gb sticks of kingston (single channel)
geforce 6800 vid card
160gb western digital hd

using the same vista disk as the upgrade method and the activation tech asked the same questions and give me an activation code without a problem. I really hated wasting my time lagging in pc games and not getting the most out of my 8800gtx video card. I had disabled most of the senseless administrator prompts and tried to put up with compatibility mode properties with xp software but I just couldnt do it anymore. I still like vista alot but I want to wait til stuff gets ironed out and more vista software/drivers are made FOR vista. The pc that I installed vista on will just be used to visting websites, chatting, basic non gaming stuff.
March 10, 2007 2:59:46 PM

Great posts guys. I'm happy that I haven't had a problem for 2 days now. My games work great. Haven't really tried videos yet. I need to get them from my external HD. Anyway, I was really against Vista, but then I decided to take the plunge. :lol:  For me, as of right now, there's only one con, and that's the UAC. I haven't run into any DRM pproblems yet.
March 10, 2007 5:00:14 PM

qwazzy,

I have heard a lot of complaints about the UAC ---- can this be disabled so it does not pose problem --- unsure if turning this off poses security risk as you still have firewall ??? Also heard that some people are turning surperfetch off to increase memory from swapping in and out --- be curious to here from users as to how you can fine tune vista to make it run better. Hope microsoft fixes the UAC as here a lot about this.
March 10, 2007 5:27:29 PM

Everyone whines about UAC! WHO CARES!?! It can be turned off in 10 seconds from the Control Panel.
March 10, 2007 6:43:14 PM

qwazzy,

did not mean to rile you --- this is what i thought ---- that uac could be turned off making it none issue ---- which is good
March 10, 2007 7:05:05 PM

Lol, it's not what you said, don't worry. :p 
March 12, 2007 9:33:30 AM

UAC can be turned off, but its the usual microsoft thing. When you turn it off and reboot, you get an annoying pop-up saying 'UAC has been turned off, click to turn it back on etc..'

Once someone can disable that annoying pop-up for me then i will be happy. :D 
March 12, 2007 9:23:50 PM

Quote:
UAC can be turned off, but its the usual microsoft thing. When you turn it off and reboot, you get an annoying pop-up saying 'UAC has been turned off, click to turn it back on etc..'

Once someone can disable that annoying pop-up for me then i will be happy. :D 

I disabled UAC once and never had any pop ups.
maybe you just suck, you know what I mean? Yea yea buy the OS first before trolling.

Been running vista for a couple of weeks, excellent OS. I realy like it over XP.
March 12, 2007 10:56:38 PM

Yeah there's some pop ups, but I put my system in sleep mode, I don't turn it off. :) 
March 13, 2007 10:56:06 AM

What the hell are you on about sir?

I bought Vista 3months ago and while i am happy with it and would love to keep it installed, i am reverting back to XP today because it's a waste of resources.

And i was talking about Security Center popping up everytime i logged back on to tell me UAC was disabled.
March 13, 2007 11:10:38 PM

I really think MS had probs with burning Vista to CDs. :lol:  Why are we getting these problems, and sometimes our systems are the exact same.
March 13, 2007 11:19:17 PM

I will tell you ==== i really dont know whats going on with vista --- heard a lot from everyone--- some for ---- some against ---- some that are just frustrated and some that just plain love it.

When you guys figure it out, let me know
March 14, 2007 1:02:43 PM

If you go into Control Panel - Local Security Policy

Under.. hmm. Account and Security I think?

The last 6-7 security policies you can disable and the other set to elevate rights.

That will remove your pops up. I do that standard on Vista computers to remove the annoying pop ups.

As far as resources. yeah, it is a hog. I'm debating that when I install Vista on my home computer if I'm going to just skip installing Aero. Outside that, it shouldn't be too much more of a resource hog.

But, Aero is a big part. I would expect a patch to be out in a few months that will either reduce the resources required or allow you to customize it so its not so draining.

I really believe Aero was targeted more at the work computer than a home user feature though - Those not playing games.

Other than that, I haven't seen any hardware problems. I have some software that won't run on Vista yet but those companies are working on getting a compatible upgrade out.. so I can't hold that against Vista.

As always, wait the standard 6 months to 1 year to move to a new OS in my opinion. Everyone who has switched over already is experiencing all the first time problems.

Those who switched over are the real Beta testers. All those complaints, Microsoft will hopefully take a look at and adjust.

Businesses will switch in 1-3 because of the licensing agreements they get from MS. That way, by the time they switch all us home users who were quick to swtich will have ran into most of the problems. :p 
March 14, 2007 7:55:57 PM

Yes, Vista is a resource hog. I am running pretty new hardware but with 1 GB memory. It sucks. And I don't even have many apps open. 2 GB is definetely what everyone should get.
March 15, 2007 1:13:38 PM

Good old Gates said you'd never need more than 1MB of memory. :) 

I think they're trying to make the OS too powerful with little benefit in return.

I think when you install Vista you have the option to install Aero or not. You can't turn it off after its been installed.. that's the resource hog.

Yeah, it looks nice but I gain nothing from it. I wouldn't install it if I had the choice. When it becomes worthwhile, then I'd go back to installing it.
March 15, 2007 1:50:59 PM

You can disable Aero - it just constantly lets you know you did.
March 16, 2007 1:00:46 PM

This I see now. You can disable that notification in the group policy or security policy. Refer to Tips and Tricks thread I posted if you want more details on it.
March 20, 2007 9:32:06 PM

what do I have against Vista and MS in general? They are the top company in their market(s) right now, so they are the embodiment of evil! DOWN WITH MS! On a side note, I really hate sony and their PS3 and I can't wait until the Xbox 360 crushes them.
March 24, 2007 2:26:28 PM

Well, here's how much I love Vista. My brand new laptop with 1GB of RAM that came with Vista Basic is now running XP Pro. Here's what I really hated about Vista:

Vista in Safe Mode used 230MB of RAM.
XP with all my security programs: 260MB of RAM
Vista (Aero was disabled via services.msc, and everything was turned off via msconfig) with just Norton used 400MB of RAM
XP plus Yahoo, MSN, GAIM, Media Player 11, and Word 2K3 used 420MB of RAM

I just bought the thing to do Word on the go. I just hated the fact I was doing more in XP with less memory than I was just running Vista.
March 24, 2007 9:02:21 PM

I hate that I can't start it with out it blue screening half the time.
I hate that I can't do multiple things at once without it blue screening.
I hate that I can't get stereo sound out of all my surround sound speakers.
I hate that I can't get sound from my DVDs.
I hate that the one game I tried to install and play would not work.
I hate that for some reason, it won't even recognize my network adapter anymore (ergo, no internet).

I want a downgrade.
March 25, 2007 3:40:04 PM

Quote:
I hate that for some reason, it won't even recognize my network adapter anymore (ergo, no internet).

Calm down, you can get those Geek guys from CiruitCity to come by and fix it for you. I understand they are nice and have reasonable prices.
Maybe you should try cooking as a hobby.
May 1, 2007 6:02:21 PM

Quote:

Calm down, you can get those Geek guys from CiruitCity to come by and fix it for you. I understand they are nice and have reasonable prices.
Maybe you should try cooking as a hobby.

OK, To be fair, I reinstalled Vista, and inexplicably most of those problems are gone. It still wouldn't recognize my network adapter (had to buy a cheapo expansion card), and actually the game wouldn't play originally because it blue screen during installation. Now that I've been using it for about 4 weeks with no blue screens, Vista's actuall pretty cool.
May 2, 2007 2:47:11 PM

Open all your programs in XP, find out how much memory you use.
Go into Vista, open all your programs.. you'll notice very little additional memory being used, over that of XP loading up a bunch more memory.

Why?

Vista is caching used programs so they open faster and work better. You have 1gb or 2gb of memory, what good is 400mb sitting around unused, even by the paging file?

Ah-ha!
May 2, 2007 9:48:58 PM

Quote:
Open all your programs in XP, find out how much memory you use.
Go into Vista, open all your programs.. you'll notice very little additional memory being used, over that of XP loading up a bunch more memory.

Why?

Vista is caching used programs so they open faster and work better. You have 1gb or 2gb of memory, what good is 400mb sitting around unused, even by the paging file?

Ah-ha!

I agree. People are complaning about Vista hogging resources. What good is your RAM if it's not being used? I'm running Vista on a crappy box at the moment and it's only got 512mb of RAM and runs with about 87% of the RAM being used at with a few IE windows open and MSN running and so on. But I go to play a game and it still runs fine. Vista just borrows the RAM to run faster and gives it back to any programs that need it when they ask for it if that makes sense.
May 6, 2007 8:47:45 PM

as title

Slow, expensive, buggy worse than XP Vista ultimate costs £370 I would want my money back!
May 6, 2007 9:16:21 PM

I was going to make a comment about getting REALLY screwed w/VAT but I like your post better.
May 6, 2007 9:31:22 PM

Quote:
I was going to make a comment about getting REALLY screwed w/VAT but I like your post better.

Nothing makes me happier than posting a link to the price of an OEM product when someone tries to say that Vista is more expensive than XP.

One could actually argue that Vista

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119986/rb/27564776247

is cheaper than XP

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119986/rb/27564776247

For the same feature set.

People always pull the Ultimate costs £400,000,000 OMFG that suXXoRs teh big one argument when they're not comparing apples to apples. Basic = XP Home, Home Premium = XP Pro and Ultimate is a new product and has no equal in the XP range. Compare the prices of XP Home to those of Vista Basic and those of XP Pro to Vista Home Premium and you'll see it's very much the same. Perhaps Microsoft shouldn't offer a higher spec product (Ultimate) just to shut up the people who go on about the cost. Perhaps nVidia shouldn't offer the 8800 Ultra just because of the cost. :roll:

If people want to spend money on Vista Ultimate then it's their choice. No one is forcing anyone to buy Ultimate or Premium or even Vista. Go buy Linux or even better go buy a Mac and go pay 300x what you'd spend on a normal PC to get a white PC that's inferior.
May 6, 2007 9:47:27 PM

just noticed myself that XP home slightly more expensive than Vista Home basic from ebuyer.

I also heard that MS are pulling OEM versions of XP, but Ebuyer still has it! Are these old stocks or was it just PC world who told me that OEM XP is recalled??

Is Vista cheaper considering support costs? (an augument MS likes to use in arguments over Linux)

Is vista a good idea for an office PC considering hibernate feature and others is faulty?

p.s OEM versions have no MS support and are tied to Motherboard (and others) (sometimes a phone call can reactivate an old copy, wonder if same is true of vista.

It was intresting that I spotted Vista ultimate on the same day my "copy" finished downloading!
May 6, 2007 9:55:23 PM

Quote:
just noticed myself that XP home slightly more expensive than Vista Home basic from ebuyer.

I also heard that MS are pulling OEM versions of XP, but Ebuyer still has it! Are these old stocks or was it just PC world who told me that OEM XP is recalled??

Is Vista cheaper considering support costs? (an augument MS likes to use in arguments over Linux)

Is vista a good idea for an office PC considering hibernate feature and others is faulty?

p.s OEM versions have no MS support and are tied to Motherboard (and others) (sometimes a phone call can reactivate an old copy, wonder if same is true of vista.

It was intresting that I spotted Vista ultimate on the same day my "copy" finished downloading!

As with XP you can call up and reactivate as long as you state that you're only using it on one PC.

Hibernate works fine :) 

XP is still available. MS hasn't stopped producing it just yet.

PC world are a bunch of twats who don't know anything about PC's at all......
May 7, 2007 3:18:20 AM

Can you guys tell me if its better to use the full version or upgrade version of Vista Ultimate? Or does it really matter in the slightest bit? BTW, I do have the full version of Windows XP PRO.
May 7, 2007 5:14:19 AM

I vote for the full version, it costs more money ergo it must be better!
May 7, 2007 7:15:57 PM

A little late but I haven't been around.

I've had an intern in here last week and this week working on and off with me. His impression was Vista sucks. So we jumped into Vista to take a look around.

I showed him how much memory my XP laptop uses up having IE7 and Lotus Notes running, with standard apps in the background (antivirus, a few other work related programs.)

We tested it out on Vista. Most of the memory was cached, little free. Lotus Notes opened faster than my XP system.. a lot faster. Plus we had *50* seperate windows (not tabs) of IE7 open, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and a Microsoft game running.

Free memory was down to about 20MB, cache was sitting around 1100, ~900 in use. The computer still ran great.

I had to explain that the paging file was most likely using spar memory (you can enable that under the HDD section of Device Manager/properties) and that it was utilizing the system better. He was even flipping through with Aero.

Now he likes Vista a lot after I showed him how to disable UAC. I'll admit, I'm impressed with Vista. I think its a good OS.. though I don't have much of a reason to upgrade at this point.
May 9, 2007 6:19:02 AM

I thought you bought two copies of Vista Upgrade at the end of April, are you going to do the Instant-upgrade thing? I don't really know but I've heard that some people were having problems doing that...
May 10, 2007 5:58:58 AM

Quote:
A little late but I haven't been around.

I've had an intern in here last week and this week working on and off with me. His impression was Vista sucks. So we jumped into Vista to take a look around.

I showed him how much memory my XP laptop uses up having IE7 and Lotus Notes running, with standard apps in the background (antivirus, a few other work related programs.)

We tested it out on Vista. Most of the memory was cached, little free. Lotus Notes opened faster than my XP system.. a lot faster. Plus we had *50* seperate windows (not tabs) of IE7 open, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and a Microsoft game running.

Free memory was down to about 20MB, cache was sitting around 1100, ~900 in use. The computer still ran great.

I had to explain that the paging file was most likely using spar memory (you can enable that under the HDD section of Device Manager/properties) and that it was utilizing the system better. He was even flipping through with Aero.

Now he likes Vista a lot after I showed him how to disable UAC. I'll admit, I'm impressed with Vista. I think its a good OS.. though I don't have much of a reason to upgrade at this point.

Thanks for illustrating a point that some of us constantly try to make. Having unutilised memory is not necessarily a good thing! :) 
May 12, 2007 10:30:33 PM

What I've noticed are business rejecting Vista, due to the manhours involved in upgrading this and that. I have a high end scanner and so forth, to do high resolution work and there are no Vista drivers anticipated. To switch over to Vista means replacing virtually every piece of hardware, several thousands dollars worth, to replace a system that works just fine. Since MS has been withdrawing XP privileges soon they will be able to say it is obsolete, and I will busy myself with Linux drivers that will stay put.
May 13, 2007 1:06:29 AM

Just because MS retires an OS... doesn't mean all of a sudden that OS is dead and cannot be used anymore. Sure, perhaps you can't buy a brand-spanking new computer with it preinstalled... but what's stopping you from wiping Vista off and deploying XP? All you need are the licenses.

If a major bank can use Windows 95 twelve years after it's release... what's stopping you from using XP? I can't recall how long 95 has been retired... but I'm sure it's been at least 7 years now.
May 13, 2007 3:47:07 AM

23z
Quote:
Just because MS retires an OS... doesn't mean all of a sudden that OS is dead and cannot be used anymore. Sure, perhaps you can't buy a brand-spanking new computer with it preinstalled... but what's stopping you from wiping Vista off and deploying XP? All you need are the licenses.

If a major bank can use Windows 95 twelve years after it's release... what's stopping you from using XP? I can't recall how long 95 has been retired... but I'm sure it's been at least 7 years now.

Were that only true, the plans Microsoft has to encourage migration include the reduction and eventual elimination of privileges and the denial of critical updates, the way they just got rid of Windows98, no factory support. That will mean outside vendors will stop writing drivers too. If only it were the case that XP will still be usable a few years from now.
May 13, 2007 3:56:07 AM

Quote:
What I've noticed are business rejecting Vista, due to the manhours involved in upgrading this and that. I have a high end scanner and so forth, to do high resolution work and there are no Vista drivers anticipated. To switch over to Vista means replacing virtually every piece of hardware, several thousands dollars worth, to replace a system that works just fine. Since MS has been withdrawing XP privileges soon they will be able to say it is obsolete, and I will busy myself with Linux drivers that will stay put.

That's kind of a silly statement don't you think? Do you think MS spent the last five years and untold amounts of money cleaning up their client security model just to piss off CorpUsa? lol. I think that MS did exactly what it had to do to so its Windows product would remain a viable product moving forward. MS didn't have any choice but to cave-in to the demands that they have a secure product.

I think they have just done what they have been trying to do for at least the last 15 years. Now they have single client that has the potential of being adopted by almost all users and appplications across the board, including the smallish consumer market. Vista is the single product MS have wanted since W2K was released that will _finally_ rid them of the w31 curse and advance the winNT core (what win95...winXP has always been moving towards - but never quite made it).

Re: the scanner - the mfg now gets to say it is officially obsolete an you can get a new one. Their app was probably a 16-bit win31 port anyway (only reason I can see that they would quickly drop support for such a 'high-end' product).
May 13, 2007 5:01:17 AM

I only hope you are right. The MS employee I talk to said MS plans to discontinue security updates in 2009 for XP. Actually there are drivers I discovered but they didn't work on my initial Vista install. Yes, I can wait for them to sort it all out, Epson is pretty good about fixing drivers eventually. My friend said they will be stopping actual production of XP early next year. He also said if Vista doesn't sell as expected to the business sector they will delay said changes, but MS is so much more profit oriented than responsive to consumer demand. One thing is clear, the sooner they drop XP the sooner they will sell oodles of Vista. Actually I'm gambling they will maintain support, I just bought another copy of XP. I can't really verify the above info but I will be watching closely.
May 14, 2007 12:13:48 PM

I have pretty good sources at MS because of the large contract I support. I don't necessarily know how accurate the info is (they may not be in "the know"), but it seems to follow other things that I have read. We were told by several mid-high level managers that the business license sales in Vista are at where they internally expected it would be at this time. Personally, I think its because of the way that MS finds a way to count nearly all sales after the release of a new OS to be for that OS, even if it isn't necessarily so. Home OS sales were just below internal expectations, however if you look at new hardware sales across the industry, no one is hitting expectations so that will hurt OS manufacturers. Sales should end in early-mid 2008 for XP, security updates end by mid 2009. This is because of the end of 2010 expected release of the next MS desktop OS. They had begun development of the next OS before Vista was released. Vista SP1 should be released before October 2007. It would appear that, contrary to the many people who thought that the lack of Vista hardware support would cause MS to drop all of their future plans, MS will just continue their plans and force the driver manufacturers to catch up.
June 23, 2007 4:38:38 PM

The hype that vista is more secure against spyware/malware/viruses is not true , it gets just as many not only that but it can disable vista there are atm 6 rouge antivirus/antispyware programs that can send vista into an infinite loop explorer has caused an error and close explorer every 6 secs.

And yes these machines had third party antivirus and anti-spyware installed most customers have norton and ad-aware professional or spysweaper.

Xp and other os's do not suffer from this maybe microsoft will fix this in a security update but most customers ask why this happens, and why can't they run antivirus or spware cleaning programs, only way to clean is yank the hd and scan it in another machine.

And no you can't go into safemode in vista and run programs because it loops here as well.

I clean from 5-10 systems a day and have noticed that vista might repel some spyware or viruses but spyware programmers have made spyware that infects vista then prints a msg saying if you want to be able to use your computer send us 68 bucks while it loops can closes explorer every 6 secs.

Most of this stuff is on free porn sites but telling customers to stay off them well i guess it's an addiction for some people. :twisted:
June 23, 2007 11:16:04 PM

Vista is more secure.... most people either ignore warnings or disable them altogether. It makes no difference how secure an OS is... because security begins and ends with the user. If the user has a blatant disregard for safe computing practices (or is ignorant of them), then any OS with any antivirus won't help.
June 24, 2007 1:59:00 AM

i have been to alot of free porn sites all over the net and Vista is still ok even when i had xp my pc was still ok now its ok an looks pretty cuz of aero theme
!