Reverting from Raid 0 to separate drives

smokeo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
System info: Intel MOBO D975xbx, P4 dual core E6600 Processor,two Gig dual channel OCZ Ram, Two Western Digital 250 Gig HD's, Winxp Pro O/S

Current Configuration is Raid 0

The need for Raid 0 has diminished, I would like to have separate HD's, with their own O/S.
Can the info on both drives be combined on one, without losing data? I plan to install OEM Winxp Pro x64 on one drive and keep winxp pro on the other. I want to test 64 bit computing befor I decide on which version of Vista I purchase.

If the data can't be transferred to one drive, what is best option on how to install O/S on each drive. Entire drive backed up on external H/D.

The reason I don't want to lose data is most of my program disks were lost when I moved

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I don't think its possible to transfer from RAID0 to a single disk. The only thing to try would be to use Norton Ghost or a similar program to make an image from that array and save it to an external USB drive or a network drive. But....to my knowledge I don't think Ghost will work with RAID. You're best bet is to back it up, and then go into the RAID BIOS utility and remove the drives from the array. Then, you will have two separate drives that can be used for different OS.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

smokeo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I don't think its possible to transfer from RAID0 to a single disk. The only thing to try would be to use Norton Ghost or a similar program to make an image from that array and save it to an external USB drive or a network drive. But....to my knowledge I don't think Ghost will work with RAID. You're best bet is to back it up, and then go into the RAID BIOS utility and remove the drives from the array. Then, you will have two separate drives that can be used for different OS.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

Thank You for your answer, it was what I expected. Also you were right about norton ghost, it only works on single drive systems

I'm afraid that XP Pro x64 won't give you an accurate picture of the state of 64-bit computing. While things have improved because of Vista being 64-bit almost out of the box; driver support for XP Pro x64 still lags behind driver development for Vista x64.

The hardest to find will be anti-viral / security software. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there for 64-bit OSes at the moment.