Install Vista Ultimate over Home Premium

Dapsone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
Hey -

I may buy a new notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed.

I can buy an academic version of Windows Vista Ultimate for $5.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to just install Ultimate "over" Home Premium? Or would you strongly suggest to clean install?

Thanks!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If you don't need any specific features, I recommend not upgrading. For me, notebooks are a little too restricive (memory, drive speed & space, etc.) to put a hungrier Vista version on. If you ever plan on having a desktop - I would get the Academic version and wait until then.

If you do upgrade your notebook, I would install it over Home Premium. Vista is designed to be version upgradable - so it should only install the new features, without disturbing the initial install (In theory - I haven't tried this - nor do I know anyone who has.).

I wouldn't do a "Clean" Install on a prebuilt system. There is a chance the OEM uses a custom driver, or has a custom chip or component. In which case, tracking drivers down could be a real pain. Plus, if you got any incuded software (such as Office) on it, you may not be able to re-install it since most OEM's no longer include the disks.

Dapsone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
If you don't need any specific features, I recommend not upgrading. For me, notebooks are a little too restricive (memory, drive speed & space, etc.) to put a hungrier Vista version on. If you ever plan on having a desktop - I would get the Academic version and wait until then.

Actually, I did some research online today on the differences in versions, and I think I see where you're coming from. Although, I am considering a fairly pimped out notebook build; I'll keep this in mind.

If you do upgrade your notebook, I would install it over Home Premium. Vista is designed to be version upgradable - so it should only install the new features, without disturbing the initial install (In theory - I haven't tried this - nor do I know anyone who has.).

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

I wouldn't do a "Clean" Install on a prebuilt system. There is a chance the OEM uses a custom driver, or has a custom chip or component. In which case, tracking drivers down could be a real pain. Plus, if you got any incuded software (such as Office) on it, you may not be able to re-install it since most OEM's no longer include the disks.

Interesting point; I've always built my own PC's, this will be my first notebook (which I suppose you could build... if you wanted?) and so I never thought of this point.

Thanks for your advice, it is well taken!