Which OCZ memory to use for E6600 overclock?

yellowb

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I'm in the process of buying a new processor and RAM, and I have never done the overclocking process before. I have read quite a bit about how to overclock and I think I understand the process for the most part. I would like to take my e6600 and overclock to 3.6 Ghz, or 400 FSB. I am looking at buying OCZ PC2 6400 and 800 Hz, which comes in gold and platinum. They suggest Platinum for overclocking and gold for gaming. By doing the math, overclocking the e6600 to 400 FSB would be at operating frequency for the 2Gb OCZ, 800 Hz. Since the RAM would be at operating frequency at 400 FSB, I would assume that there would be no need to overclock the memory or change any of the frequency for the RAM. If this is the case, could I just use the OCZ Gold since RAM overclocking would not be necessary? Also, would using the standard heatsync/fan for the e6600 be sufficient cooling to overclock to 3.6Ghz if the memory does not need to be overclocked? I will be using a P5b Deluxe Wifi board and a geforce 7950gt graphics card if that information is needed. Thanks for any help.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
6400 will give you less problems with overclocking, and My E6600 was running at 80c to 83c on stock settings at full load with stock cooler, so I suggest you get a good 3rd party cooler Just in case.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
The newest version of core temp I could find at the time, and another software that I only had for trail (sorry I can't remember what it was called).

Problem is Tat won't run period and never has, even from first build, and SpeedFan never finds any temps other then my hard drive.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
CoreTemp 0.95 might be off about 15C.
http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

In case you're too busy to read all:
According to one of the more interesting threads I've read in Intel's open Dev forums, a very unpleasant picture arrises. Desktop/Server CPUs DON'T have a constant Tjunction temperature, unlike many Mobile CPUs which contains the Tjunction information in bit 30 of MSR 0xEE. This value is either 85/100. Possibly by a mistake, this value seems to exist in the desktop processors as well, but this does not make it valid at all.
TAT was developed for mobile CPU usage. The whole Tjunction minus DTSDelta was good for these CPUs(with small deviations of several degrees above or below), but it is basically useless for desktop CPUs. In desktop CPUs the calculation is PROCHOT# minus DTSDelta, and obviously we cannot read PROCHOT# temp.
And THESE CPUs were without an IHS...

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
From what I've read in the forums in the link you gave me so far, there isn't a misread problem with the e6600 my chip, and even without core temp the Bios and the programs that came with my mobo showed general temps to be above 50c at full load.

Edit: I found the article you quoted from and you put almost all of it in you post. Ironically I found this link among one of the post.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Problem is Tat won't run period and never has, even from first build, and SpeedFan never finds any temps other then my hard drive.
TAT needs Thermal Monitor to be enabled in BIOS. SpeedFan never finds any reading on your board, since uGuru driver is loaded. But this uGuru app works fine, as I can remember.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Plus no mater all the programs are just guessing right now, unless you have a sensor on it (which one better then these programs will cost some money).
Exactly :lol:

............. :roll:

Ok, assuming that I have no money to spend what program would you suggest to atleast get an idea?

yellowb

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Don't mean to interupt the discussion that has developed out of my post, but does anyone have anything to say about whether to go with the Platinum or Gold version of OCZ memory based on what I want to do?