Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to RETIRE from Vista in 30 days or less!

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 11, 2007 1:27:47 AM

Hello People,

My retirement from Windowz Vista is going rather swimmingly for the past few days. I'm making it a point to check in and see how the struggle is going here at the Vista brain washing center. I hope my most excellent friends DaSickNinga & Zoron are doing well at whatever it is that they do? As for me I'm relaxing at my PC in the OS of the day.

Over the years my experiences with computers have grown and grown. I'm quite lucky since I have experience with many different platforms and so my computer use is well rounded. Starting with BSD I have always had at least one server running at home. Several weeks ago I retired my last server that was running Apache, MySQL and SAMBA on Mandriva Linux.

I thought I would have a go with Vista since all of my hardware was to specification and Windowz XP seems so plain these days. I nearly made it a month before I threw in the towel on Vista. I can list the issues but I can simplify matters by mentioning just six items that were enough for me to pull the plug.

1) Money = In my opinion Windows Vista exceeds the amount of money that I consider reasonable or fair in both the retail cost and in the cost of ownership. Here you could argue and say that Vista's price is fair and that would be your opinion too. I happen to have money but that happens to be because I'm shrewed and cheap. While I cannot speak for you folks I happen to know that my limit for Windowz happens to be $125.00.

2) Service Pack 3 = Yes, this is subjective but from my viewpoint Windowz Vista is nothing more then an (very expensive) XP service pack. No matter how many times I used it, I never noticed any true benefit or real improvement over XP. I'm using a 3D desktop this very second and it runs circles around Vista and the cost was ZERO. Sure you can talk about the kernel and anything else but to me all of that is Redmond's problem. As I said in #1, I am cheap!

3) Bloated = Like eating a whole pizza when your home alone, Vista is just over the top. I installed Vista, Office 2007 & Avast!, and wound up with over 60 running processes. My XP system on the other desk has at the most 45 running processes. The Windowz Vista setup consumes a great deal of space and takes a long time too.

4) DRM = I will and have managed my own digital rights for years and require no help. I disagree with the premise that digital rights are a necessary evil and refuse to pay Redmond to provide DRM that offers little protection.

5) AACS LA = The makers of High Definition must be HIGH? It is not my problem that Warner Bros, Walt Disney and Redmond are even cheaper then me. I resent paying for AACS to be part of my PC. I resent that AACS forced my TV Tuner Card to go for a rest since it creates something known as an analog hole. Redmond you can kiss my PMP!

6) Stuff = There were several things I did not like about Vista that are minor but still relevant. I don't care for Vista Explorer, Aero didn't do it for me, locations of settings seemed strange (well I was used to XP), slow like a slug, bread crumbs and WMP 11.

I decided to run a Sabayon X64-3.26/XP Pro system and I have been spending more and more time on Linux. I was happy that a majority of the PC games I play have Wine Emulation now. This was the main reason that Linux remained in the server for me all of these years. There is little that I can't do in Linux now.

Consider (if you don't know) that my desktop GUI is a cube that can be spun. When I exit windows they burst in flames "poof" and are gone. Beryl is the bomb relating to 3D desktop environments. I have to admit that my Beryl GUI is way ahead of Vista. I have Firefox and Thunderbird for web and mail and I use them on both Windows and Linux. All multimedia works on my Sabayon setup including HDDVD since HDDVDDecrypter hit Doom 9. I have KOffice (love it) and Open Office (so so) for my word processing needs and while not as feature filled as Office 2007 I'm happy.

Free is better and frankly free is more interesting...

Kisses

More about : retire vista days

March 11, 2007 4:26:40 AM

Thats wonderful. Now would you quit mentioning me? I want nothing to do with you.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2007 6:55:08 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:  :trophy:
March 11, 2007 1:26:16 PM

If you don't want a reaction from me, would it be obvious that you do the adult thing and not even mention me? By doing so you are in effect, asking for whatever comes to you.
March 11, 2007 2:28:47 PM

Quote:
If you don't want a reaction from me, would it be obvious that you do the adult thing and not even mention me? By doing so you are in effect, asking for whatever comes to you.
@ over 6000 posts I think you would have run out of stuff to say? Guess your a freak?
March 11, 2007 2:53:06 PM

Quote:
Guess your a freak?

Oh, hush!
March 12, 2007 2:18:37 PM

Coming from personal and business perspectives... your arguments are worthless and unjustified. Strictly a matter of opinion and nothing worthy of being noted.

Vista has enhanced security which for businesses is truly a step forward in securing a company. You failed to mention the benefits of Vista's security. That alone makes it very much appealing to businesses.

Anyone who knows anything about OS upgrades knows to let the OS sit for 6 months to a year before you switch to it.
First, there is Alpha testing, then Beta testing. The full release is a full scale Beta testing. People are going to switch to it. People are going to pay for it because people want to pay for new stuff. This is really where the bugs are worked out.

You may not like it.. Personally, I don't use it yet. I'm working with it at work and I find a lot of things I don't like about it. But not being mentally handicapped, I changed the local security policy to adjust to my needs. Now I have no problems with it aside from trying to figure out where things have been moved and adjust to the new interface.

That I didn't care for. But, its a new OS and if it looked the same, I might have the same expectations of it.

DRM won't last. That will come out or will be disabled by user choice.

Price.. how can you justify the price? You buy hardware in the hundreds of dollars. Computer games routinely cost $60 and after 6 months they're worthless. You won't pay the price for the backbone of your system? Cheap is not what you are. You value other things higher and you're biased on what you're willing to pay for. I'm surprised they don't charge a lot more for the OS personally. I'm surprised they don't rent it out to users on a monthly charge or yearly charge and give out updates. Something like Software Assurance.. which I don't know if you're familar with that but its really the best way to go in a business.

You go on to mention using free software in place. Again, your view is biased and you apparently don't understand why free isn't taking off like everyone thinks it should.

Here's why Free isn't good.

When you buy a boxed PC, it probably comes with Windows. Why not a Free OS? Because Free OSs require the users to spend more time learning about their OS than they want to.. they have to invest time into how to make things work. Users have better things to do. I have never run into a non-tech savvy person who has said they liked a free OS better. They're not techies, they don't care about it. They want to do their work, play games, and surf the web.
Windows has a very low learning curve for end-users.
Software makers want users to pay for software. Put out a free OS then games are going to be expected to become free.
Businesses use proprietary software because there is a company they can fall back on to when things fail or go wrong. Its a security thing. Should Microsoft have a huge error and a company goes under because of a flaw in Windows Server 2003 - a company can sue Microsoft because of that.
What would you do against a free software? Nothing. There is no "security blanket" to give someone that oh-so-warm feeling.

A real big deal? Most users at home don't want to install a new OS on their computer. They'll take what they get. So, companies stick to what users know. Less training time, less work, less on the IT staff, LESS LESS LESS.

I have yet to see any figures from a company running free software that states it is more beneficial to use free/open software than running Microsoft. Its harder to recruit IT staff, it takes more time training your end-users, and it requires more man-hours to find solutions to problems that come up.

While considered far more stable, Windows is stable 'enough' to make it a non-issue for the mass majority of companies to continue using it.
March 12, 2007 2:24:03 PM

And one more thing to note.

If you work for a company that has any level of a software agreement with Microsoft.. Enterprise Licensing, you get all the software your company uses for free at home.

Vista
Office
SQL
Server
etc, etc.

And that is how you get the software free. That ensures that users get the software at home when the company switches over. That keeps everyone on the same page.

The company isn't responsible for that software either. You quit or you're fired, whatever, its on you to remove that software. Not the company, not Microsoft's problem.

That's how you get the software for free. Microsoft makes money off businesses, not off the home users.
March 12, 2007 3:16:32 PM

Riser, you're reply is like a breath of air from a Porta-Potty! Take your first two sentences, "Coming from personal and business perspectives... your arguments are worthless and unjustified. Strictly a matter of opinion and nothing worthy of being noted." As a moderator here I would expect you're posts to make more sense. Naturally my post above is based on my opinion. Since this is the GENERAL VISTA section it is not much of a surprise that experiences vary. When you say "worthless" that is a personal attack. My comment about the "Vista Brainwashing" stands fast since the majority of articles on Tom's reflect a bias that favors MS!

MS is a MONOPOLY. MS is constantly in court regarding of all things it's being a MONOPOLY. Claiming that MS is good for business because Windows is, "Oh so secure!" must be an attempt on your part at comic relief? Since it is true that MS is a MONOPOLY then nothing they do is valuable for the consumer! I happen to be a consumer Riser and I put a great deal of thought into what I buy.

Vista is not more than a Service Pack and if anything should cost much less. I think the latest MSFT on the ticker shows that other consumers feel the same way. Retail sales have slumped for MSFT and that is not my fault.

It should be mentioned that if you own a large business that MS sends folks out to your offices to find out if you’re using "Open Source" or not! Go figure! If you’re not then they try to make deals like getting a car. By the sound of your post you almost sound like you work or have worked for M$. No matter, I'm FREE, I'm HONEST and I'm accurate.

You support a known and dangerous MONOPOLY and that has been noted.
March 12, 2007 3:27:14 PM

Quote:
Retail sales have slumped for MSFT and that is not my fault.

MS has never made much money on retail sales... OEM and Corporate sales is where they make their money... so this is nothing new and really not all that worthwhile noting. Even people buying Vista outright buy OEM because it's cheaper; so that makes the retail numbers look that much worse.

New computers will be pre-loaded with Vista; not XP. This alone assures market penetration for Vista.
March 12, 2007 3:45:06 PM

Quote:

MS has never made much money on retail sales... OEM and Corporate sales is where they make their money... so this is nothing new and really not all that worthwhile noting. Even people buying Vista outright buy OEM because it's cheaper; so that makes the retail numbers look that much worse.

New computers will be pre-loaded with Vista; not XP. This alone assures market penetration for Vista.Ahh good to see you sweetheart! It's funny but from what I know about you, you don't work for MS. It is IRONIC that one of the M$ CEOs named Steve Balmer said, "But people have to understand that some of the revenue forecasts I've seen out there for Windows Vista in fiscal year 2008 are overly aggressive." There is much more and you can read it Here, Here and Here.

Than as you say, "New computers will be pre-loaded with Vista; not XP. This alone assures market penetration for Vista." This alone prooves that the MS vs DOJ MONOPOLY TRIALS meant nothing to MS who continues to force their software on anyone who gets a PC. If you want to use Linux none of the HD features will work at all!
March 12, 2007 3:47:22 PM

Zoron,

to bad the department of transportation has banned any upgrade to vista since it is to expensive and may invalidate some of there existing software due to lack of compatibility. It only involves tens of thousands of computer --- glad that microsoft makes there money in oem and corporate sales.
March 12, 2007 4:06:09 PM

If you posts are based on opinion and not on fact, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously?
March 12, 2007 4:19:26 PM

Quote:

New computers will be pre-loaded with Vista; not XP. This alone assures market penetration for Vista.Ahh good to see you sweetheart! It's funny but from what I know about you, you don't work for MS. It is IRONIC that one of the M$ CEOs named Steve Balmer said, "But people have to understand that some of the revenue forecasts I've seen out there for Windows Vista in fiscal year 2008 are overly aggressive." There is much more and you can read it Here, Here and Here.

Than as you say, "New computers will be pre-loaded with Vista; not XP. This alone assures market penetration for Vista." This alone prooves that the MS vs DOJ MONOPOLY TRIALS meant nothing to MS who continues to force their software on anyone who gets a PC. If you want to use Linux none of the HD features will work at all!

The only way M$ is going to keeps its monopoly is to force people into buying (new PC). Christopher Newport University, one of the Colleges I attended uses Linux only. Each student takes one semester of Computer 101 to get a feel of the OS. That was ten years ago, now Linux is all GUI and much easier; no wonder M$ is trying to force Vista… Linux is no doubt making ground IMO
March 12, 2007 4:42:51 PM

Corporations and business (especially anything government related) are slow to upgrade. You only have to look at the fact that some banks are still using Windows 95 on their workstations. Some are using Windows 2000, but I have yet to see any bank deploy even Windows XP; let alone Vista.

Deploying a new OS takes time... a LOT of time. Especially when you cling to old applications that still require DOS windows. Ensuring these systems will work with a minimum of fuss and downtime is expensive. This is true of ANY new OS deployment... be it Vista, XP or 2000.

Corporate and OEM sales are still Microsoft's bread and butter; regardless of whether or not the Department of Transportation upgrades to Vista. They are but a single entity and certainly not the majority.
March 12, 2007 4:56:19 PM

You can call Microsoft a monopoly, I'll give you that. They are not a monopoly by choice.

Its due to a sheer lack of competitors. Linux is out there but lacks the backing of a company. Its not as convenient for people to switch to as its made out to be.

Linux has only recently come out as an OS system that would be available to everyone. I do believe MS even started working with Linux to push its distribution out more and help them out.

I don't know where you get your information. You say your opinion and then treat it as fact to everyone.

Microsoft has never made its money off selling to home users. Its a business software that has filtered to consumers. People had computers in work before their home. Companies upgrade more often than the home users. Business is where the money is.

Quote:
Riser, you're reply is like a breath of air from a Porta-Potty! Take your first two sentences, "Coming from personal and business perspectives... your arguments are worthless and unjustified. Strictly a matter of opinion and nothing worthy of being noted." As a moderator here I would expect you're posts to make more sense. Naturally my post above is based on my opinion.

I'm sorry that you can't understand this. Its very simple. When I look at Vista, I look at how it effects the average consumer and how it effects the business. I don't look at how it effects someone who is more tech savvy. Why is this? Because a vast majority of the people using computers aren't tech savvy. Thus, my perspective is on their point of view.

Anyhow who works in IT understands this concept. We make things simplier for the average person so they don't need to know as much about computers. In this, you get the next progressive step in OSs: Vista.

I don't bash Linux. I don't see it as a feasible solution because the average user has problems with it.

Same thing happened with XP coming out. A lot of people said it wasn't that much better than 2000. A year later, everyone was raving about it.

You sound like the typical person described in any technology book. You're afraid of change, you're resistant to it and rely on the old to continue working on the new. In time, I promise you will become a Vista user and it will grow on you.

Vista is here to stay. Either you adapt or you fall behind.
March 12, 2007 5:01:35 PM

Quote:
Corporations and business (especially anything government related) are slow to upgrade. You only have to look at the fact that some banks are still using Windows 95 on their workstations. Some are using Windows 2000, but I have yet to see any bank deploy even Windows XP; let alone Vista.

Deploying a new OS takes time... a LOT of time. Especially when you cling to old applications that still require DOS windows. Ensuring these systems will work with a minimum of fuss and downtime is expensive. This is true of ANY new OS deployment... be it Vista, XP or 2000.

Corporate and OEM sales are still Microsoft's bread and butter; regardless of whether or not the Department of Transportation upgrades to Vista. They are but a single entity and certainly not the majority.
Frankly, it amazes me Zoron that as a person with your intelect you would find yourself in such a deep state of denial. The reason MS is in all of those banks and businesses good or bad is that MS IS, I will say it again I....S.... a MONOPOLY! The problem is so great, so big that one wonders if any solution exists.
March 12, 2007 5:01:43 PM

Indeed. I work in the medical sector, and we still regularly find systems running Win98, 2K etc. One surgery was still running on NT 4.0. Most large-scale businesses wouldn't do a complete rollout upgrade of a new OS all-at-once anyway.

For my industry personally, we cannot upgrade to Vista (or in fact, IE7) until clinical systems and apps are all updated to work on it anyway, which (going from the changeover from 98 to XP) takes years.

However, we've had to, as the DoT did, put out warnings for users not to upgrade, as a lot of them tend to go ahead without official say-so anyway. They're just covering their own backs against users going "Well, you never told me it wouldn't work".

Though, as far as licensing is concerned, you'll find that most government industries/large-scale multinational businesses have already paid up for the massive volume licenses -anyway-, so the argument that not rolling out Vista damages MS's sales is pretty much invalid.
March 12, 2007 5:12:41 PM

As an addition to that, and to pre-empt replies, the "costs" referred to by the DoT are the cost of rollout, not the cost of purchase. If a government industry has 30,000 PCs, and installing a new OS + setup + testing is 2 hours, then that's 60,000 manhours that need to be allocated, scheduled, paid, etc, etc, before the rollout is completed (and this isn't taking into account hardware upgrades or potential re-training that may arise pre or post-rollout). I doubt -any- OS would be rolled out at launch on that sort of scale.
March 12, 2007 5:29:18 PM

Quote:
You can call Microsoft a monopoly, I'll give you that. They are not a monopoly by choice.

So, I have your permission to speak the truth then? Maybe I can get your permission to throw up too?

Quote:
Its due to a sheer lack of competitors. Linux is out there but lacks the backing of a company. Its not as convenient for people to switch to as its made out to be.

Micro$oft's being a MONOPOLY is credited only to their MONOPOLISTC practices and financial clout brought on by being a MONOPOLY. It is only that simple, there is no other truth in it.

I will use an example that uses your logic Riser:
Al Capone cheated, lied, stole and killed and became infamous. He was in control of a vast crime empire. He had NO competition.... after a while. Ultimately, Elliot Ness put him away.
March 12, 2007 5:37:46 PM

My point still stands; retail sales are next to meaningless in terms of how well new OS sales are progressing. Thank you for trying and failing to disprove that point and creating another argument over a completely different point.

Yes, MS is a monopoly... no one but MS is trying to deny it. Until Linux is as easy to use and configure as Windows; it won't be a viable alternative. (And when I talk about ease of use I mean point and click... not command line). It's time to stop blaming MS for the shortcomings of its competitors. It's time for those competitors to step up and prove themselves as viable alternatives.

I'm not opposed to using Linux at all... I have used it at home. After installing drivers for my Radeon 9700 Pro, I know that Linux will never fly for the average user until something changes. I did it, and I was extremely gratified when I got it working... but I fully realize the average user does NOT want to put forth the time and effort it took to get to the same point I did. All they want is to double-click and reboot.
March 12, 2007 5:56:49 PM

Quote:
My point still stands; retail sales are next to meaningless in terms of how well new OS sales are progressing. Thank you for trying and failing to disprove that point and creating another argument over a completely different point.
Hey Zoron listen up and listen good: Scroll back to the top of this post and read it. I wished you well and retired from the Vista scene. I gave a few reasons and dropped a few opinions. Riser started telling me about how I was wrong and now you do the same. STEVE BALLMER made public his reasons why he feels that MSFT sales are down. Needless to say he wants something optimistic to report to the share holders for appearance sake and pins it on "PIRACY" in China & Russia. Micro$oft spent several BILLION in marketing Vista and sales of Vista are needed to justify the expenses. You can stand on that point of yours all day but in the end you're feet will be pretty sore.
March 12, 2007 6:29:01 PM

You sir are an idiot.

Microsoft has become a monopoly of OSs because there is no true competition for them.

What was the other major OS of choice when Windows 95 came out? You had command line programs.

What was the major OS competitor of 98, ME, 2000, XP?

THERE ARE NONE.

Zoron and I both have stated that using something like Linux is too technically advanced for the average users to configure. That is why Microsoft has a 'monopoly' on the area. I have yet to see them intentionally crush a competitor's OS.

If you're aware of one, please by all means, tell me who they have put out of business that had an adequate OS.

Your statement on Capone was stupid by the way.

People would rather pay for Windows than to go get a free OS. Why? Because the $200 for the OS is far more efficent than spending a few hours downloading a free OS, formating their already working computer (because they downloaded the OS of course), install, configure, etc. Now they've wasted more time.. OH wait, now I have to download another program and learn a whole new program over that I'm not familar with because my job uses Windows and Office.

Linux is not user friendly in today's technological society. Its that simple. When you bring command lines into play today, people are intimidated.

XP works. Vista has better security. I say there is no current need to jump onto Vista. In a year, yes. For a company? No.

I'm almost certain you have no experience in working with Window Domains. If you did, you'd see what Vista is aimed at doing in security.

XP is good. I'm using XP right now. I like it. But Vista has the same functions and then some. I will switch to Vista in the near future to start leraning it. Life goes on.

You can keep slamming it. I personally think its because you're afraid to change and its just another thing you have to learn. I don't believe you see the added benefits of switching to Vista.

Your arguments are strictly your opinions and hold little water. When you want to make a statement, state it as your opinion, not as fact, and if you wish to state it as fact, reference a reliable site to back up your statement.
March 12, 2007 6:32:06 PM

Quote:
I wished you well and retired from the Vista scene.

Does that include retiring from these Vista forums, or are you staying to continue trolling topics?
March 12, 2007 6:45:35 PM

Quote:
I wished you well and retired from the Vista scene.

Does that include retiring from these Vista forums, or are you staying to continue trolling topics?I don't know what I'm going to do noob. I'm sure that your not going to enter that decision process though. Beyond that I am a member here just like you so if you're suggesting that I go down the road you should heed your own suggestion or in this case wishfull thinking.

Laterzzz Noob
March 12, 2007 6:52:22 PM

I was suggesting that it's a bit strange for someone who's openly rejected Vista (and seems to have some peverse hatred against both it, and the company behind it) to be hanging around the forum section dedicated to it.

To use a comparison, it's a bit like Richard Dawkins hanging around on Christian Chat.
March 12, 2007 7:24:44 PM

272 and you're calling others noobs. The majority of your postsing has been flaming Vista and talking about how its worthless and such.

He makes a strong point that you do spend a lot of time here berating Vista and those who are in question of it.

Yet, you're still here Noob. :twisted:
March 12, 2007 7:47:19 PM

Quote:
You sir are an idiot.

You can keep slamming it. I personally think its because you're afraid to change and its just another thing you have to learn. I don't believe you see the added benefits of switching to Vista.

Your arguments are strictly your opinions and hold little water. When you want to make a statement, state it as your opinion, not as fact, and if you wish to state it as fact, reference a reliable site to back up your statement.
I cut out your BS in the center there and will focus on the quality of your moderation skills and your lack of knowledge about me and of all things Micro$oft...

You point at me and label me as an 'idiot' and if that helps you to soothe the burning then great. This is (though it be a really messed up one) message board. It isn't a research farm and my experience is all that I need to post about any of the topics here. I even started my own, this very thread and in my opinion M$ should be completely broken up and its' ashes should be scattered in the farthest reaches of space. Since that is not likely I decided to STOP using Vista.

So when you say that, "I fear change." That is over the top. Vista changes nothing at all. It is simply an overpriced service pack for XP. You're one of the worst moderators that I have run across by the way. Not because your wrong about just about everything but because you’re not true to yourself. Here we are talking about ‘freakin’ software and MONOPOLIES and you resort to throwing around labels.

If you are going to have me supply facts (I do all the time) from third parties then you will need to make that a rule across the whole board. The fact is that MS is a MONOPOLY and has been for a good long time. No matter who or what came along MS bought t or killed it. Al Capone is a fantastic analogy by the way. Al used guns and MS uses $$$ but in the end it amounts to exercising control.

It does say that this is the general discussion area and I am in a general way discussing my experiences with Vista and there is not much you can do about it. It is true that Vista Ultimate costs around $400.00 and it is true that $400.00 is too much for me. It is true that Vista is bloated and for a fact now resides on a DVD rather than on a CD as everything before it came. It is true that DRM is being thrust down at us. It is true that MS is one of the owners of AACS LA.

Since I'm an idiot to you then you must be aware what arguing your meaningless points with me makes you an even bigger idiot? At some point the thought of banning my IP will come up in your head. That would be unjust sweetheart since it is you that has pooped on this thread. I spoke my mind and whatever followed, followed.

Time and time members here and now the moderators PROTECT MS rather than protecting consumers from rip off products. No matter how you slice it Riser, MS is the largest MONOPOLY of all times. Bigger than Ma Bell. You defend what cannot be defended. I named a major OS that MS destroyed called BeOS and by the way I loved that thing. Yet the nature of a monopoly is that it gobbles everything in its path up like even YOU.

PAX
March 12, 2007 7:48:53 PM

Quote:
272 and you're calling others noobs. The majority of your postsing has been flaming Vista and talking about how its worthless and such.

He makes a strong point that you do spend a lot of time here berating Vista and those who are in question of it.

Yet, you're still here Noob. :twisted:
10 posts is a NOOB
March 12, 2007 7:53:14 PM

So is 270ish to the vast majority of users here.

Please learn to argue your statements before you go around spitting out your Windows jump without backing it up or attempting to state your opinions as fact.
March 12, 2007 8:01:28 PM

Sorry, silly me. I forgot that post-count directly dictates the legitimacy of posts.

You still haven't explained what someone so anti-MS and anti-Vista is doing posting on a Vista forum.
March 12, 2007 8:28:56 PM

Until Vista I was pro M$, I hang out as I hope I'm wrong about M$ and someone will convince me otherwise. Alpha makes excellent points with links to verify his facts, take the time and do some research.

It's ridicules that Computer Enthusiasts don't see the potential damage M$ can do if business continues as usually.

Post counts only indicates post counts, anyone who judges by the counts is naïve IMO.
March 12, 2007 8:48:41 PM

I don't mind someone being pro or anti-MS (although I'd appreciate it if the term "M$" can be dropped. It's one step away from "gaystation" in terms of annoying "fanboy" terms). I do mind when someone enters almost every thread repeating the same old stuff again and again and again. If I have to read "MICROSOFT is a MONOPOLY" one more time, I'll make a Greasemonkey script to filter it out to "FLUFFY BUNNY" or something.
March 12, 2007 9:07:35 PM

I don't see your point. Microsoft is the same "monopoly" they were under XP. If you choose, not to use Vista, more power to you, but if you put forth that as the reason for others not to use it, it holds little water. Vista doesn't magically make Microsoft any "eviler", anymore than the iPod did for Apple.
March 12, 2007 9:09:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry, silly me. I forgot that post-count directly dictates the legitimacy of posts.

You still haven't explained what someone so anti-MS and anti-Vista is doing posting on a Vista forum.
10 posts is a NOOB and always has been. That is not a put down by the way since what happens is that you keep on posting and eventually you have over 7000 posts like Riser and then your head explodes. If I didn't like you I would say something like, "Go and blankity, blank, blank, blank looser!" But I didn't so you're OK with me. I was not against MS or Vista. I am against MONOPOLIES that destroy all things good and bad. I don't want a HD/Media centric computer but something tells me that unless something grass roots is done that we computer users are screwed. Remember, way back in my threads here I mentioned some quotes from Bill Gates? I didn't post this one but it struck me hard and here it is "People always fear change. People feared electricity when it was invented, didn't they? People feared coal, they feared gas-powered engines... There will always be ignorance, and ignorance leads to fear. But with time, people will come to accept their silicon masters."

That is so 1984 but then it gets better when Bill decided to say this...
"You see, antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are simply bugs that must be programmed out of our world. And these cold, unfeeling machines will show us the way."

My favorite Bill Gates quote is this one, "Let's face it, the average computer user has the brain of a Spider Monkey." It is a two part thing since he believes he is superior and no matter what he says or does people buy his software!
March 12, 2007 9:17:53 PM

Lets get this out of the way. 10 posts might make you a newb(ie), but it does not make you a noob. You are a noob. He is a newb. See the difference?

Besides, you need a lot more cred and time before you can start slinging the term around. Around here, 270 posts is nothing.
March 12, 2007 9:18:23 PM

About the Spider-Monkey quote you keep bringing up routinely.

You are aware that it's in fact taken from a spoof interview right? And that it's not actually an actual Gates quote?

I hope you really do. Otherwise I seriously begin to doubt the validity of..well..anything you have to say.

EDIT: In fact, all the quotes you listed come from that interview.

Oh dear.
March 12, 2007 9:38:03 PM

Quote:
I don't see your point. Microsoft is the same "monopoly" they were under XP. If you choose, not to use Vista, more power to you, but if you put forth that as the reason for others not to use it, it holds little water. Vista doesn't magically make Microsoft any "eviler", anymore than the iPod did for Apple.
MS is now a larger "FLUFFY BUNNY" with "FLUFY BUNNY FRIENDS" and if you go back to the top of this thread I listed 6 reasons even though there are more for taking a retirment from Vista. Do you want me to list those again or can you just scroll. I remember a post of yours that you said you don't want to have anything to do with me? Maybe you can start on that not having anything to do with me?
March 12, 2007 9:40:22 PM

hahahaha

I love it when people provide links to their references. That right there gives credit to the true "research" Alpha has put forth.

What to show him up "noob." :)  Good having ya here.. stick around.
March 12, 2007 9:43:12 PM

Quote:

You are aware that it's in fact taken from a spoof interview right? And that it's not actually an actual Gates quote?

I hope you really do. Otherwise I seriously begin to doubt the validity of..well..anything you have to say.

Oh dear.
Quotes
March 12, 2007 9:47:49 PM

In rely to Exisnet you moron.
Quote:

Did you see your name in the reply line? No you didn't.
Quote:

You provoke me, so therefore, I respond.
March 12, 2007 9:50:13 PM

Quote:

Oh dear.
Quotes

Source of your quotes.

Seriously, you've been using a -spoof interview- as a legitimate source for Gates quotes. Look at the site.
March 12, 2007 9:52:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You provoke me, so therefore, I respond.My bad but you didn't need to use the MORON thing did you DOUCH?
March 12, 2007 9:54:45 PM

Quote:

Oh dear.
Quotes

Source of your quotes.

Seriously, you've been using a -spoof interview- as a legitimate source for Gates quotes. Look at the site. Don't sweat it since Al Gore invented the internet M$ is still a "Fluffy Bunny"
March 12, 2007 9:59:18 PM

The point here being is that you blindly believed made-up quotes (well, even worse than that, the quotes were a direct spoof) were, in fact, real and attributable, which begs the nagging feeling of doubt about everything else you believe in.

If I were to produce a webpage saying "MICROSOFT CAUSED 9/11" would you cite it as a irrefutable source, perchance?
March 12, 2007 10:02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You provoke me, so therefore, I respond.My bad but you didn't need to use the MORON thing did you DOUCH?
In light of what you believe to be a real quote even when presented with the facts, yes, I do believe you are a moron.
March 12, 2007 10:23:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In light of what you believe to be a real quote even when presented with the facts, yes, I do believe you are a moron.

Quote:
The point here being is that you blindly believed made-up quotes (well, even worse than that, the quotes were a direct spoof) were, in fact, real and attributable, which begs the nagging feeling of doubt about everything else you believe in.

If I were to produce a webpage saying "MICROSOFT CAUSED 9/11" would you cite it as a irrefutable source, perchance?
Dang... I'm shocked too. Imagine the horror when I realized that the internet is full of lies. They really need to shut this thing off!
March 13, 2007 12:10:03 AM

Alpha you came into this Forum with a blatant and obvious agenda. I and many others read a forum like this to learn from the experiences of others. Wading through you're endless anti-microsoft rants has become tiresome. You should not be surprised that you have not been well received.

Happy retirement.
March 13, 2007 3:20:12 AM

Quote:
Alpha you came into this Forum with a blatant and obvious agenda. I and many others read a forum like this to learn from the experiences of others. Wading through you're endless anti-microsoft rants has become tiresome. You should not be surprised that you have not been well received.

Happy retirement.
OK my rant aside, what have you learned here?
!