HP4705 speaker/sound bad?

July 23, 2005 10:43:16 PM

Never noticed the HP4705 sound so bad from its speaker.
This is especially noticeable after I started using GPS for navigation. The
voice sounds so empty and unclear and low in volume. Setting everything to
the loudest (on navigation software and speaker volume) just makes it
distorted.

Wondering if you have experiences using iPAQ or specifically 4700/4705 for
GPS use? Can you hear it clearly?

I am stuck with all previous investment. Now I have Pharos 360 GPS system
with auto mount and power source for GPS sensor and PDA.
Noticed there is a powered automount available but I have to buy the whole
thing again including GPS receiver...

Any suggestion to help me not to get broke again?
Was my 4705 is defective or am I expecting too much? I just sent it back
for speaker replacement. My other PDA phone (a Samsung i700) produces very
useful sound level for navigation but its screen is not as bright and sharp.
Purchasing the 4705 for GPS use is the main purchase, I can't believe it is
the cheap speaker by HP is making the application impractical. What else can
I do? Should I totally forget about using PDA' speaker for navigation by
using external powered speaker?

Thank you first for any suggestion.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:13:40 PM

There are devices that will send the audio from your iPAQ to your car stereo
and if you have music on your iPAQ this is probably your best bet. Look at
Radio Shack for a device that plugs into the headphone jack and transmits to
the FM radio.

Also a simple larger speaker maybe all you need.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

!