HDTV and Comcast Cable - Do I need their special HD Tuner ..

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 2, 2004 11:31:08 AM

Hello,

I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
special feed from Comcast?

I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV has
one built in?

Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD, you
can get HD with their standard analog packages...

Thanks!
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:52:57 PM

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
>can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
>special feed from Comcast?
>
>I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV has
>one built in?

Yes, you will need the HD box from Comcast. The built in tuner is for
OTA (over the air) broadcasts only. If you live in an area where there
are stations broadcasting HD you may be able to pick them up with an
indoor antenna, depending on how far from the tower you are.

>Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD, you
>can get HD with their standard analog packages...

Yes, you can get the HD box without the digital tier. That's what I
have, except I have the Comcast DVR box which records HD as well. It
works very well for time shiftind HD programing.

Jim
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 12:52:58 PM

Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)

1. What do you you pay a month?
2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?
3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it in?
Or does the cable company need to do something.....?

I know this might sound like an odd question, but let me explain ehheh... I
moved into the place and signed up for a Cable modem, and well I kinda got
tv for free... I hear this is a common thing... if I request an HD Tunner
i'm gona have to start paying for cable tv to... So if it can be anywhere,
i'll have the box put on my parents bill and put it in my house... I guess
technicaly its not free TV cause I am technicaly paying more for the cable
modem since I do not have TV Service also... I know u say a few bux if u
have both.

<*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
> >can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
> >special feed from Comcast?
> >
> >I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV
has
> >one built in?
>
> Yes, you will need the HD box from Comcast. The built in tuner is for
> OTA (over the air) broadcasts only. If you live in an area where there
> are stations broadcasting HD you may be able to pick them up with an
> indoor antenna, depending on how far from the tower you are.
>

> >Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD,
you
> >can get HD with their standard analog packages...
>
> Yes, you can get the HD box without the digital tier. That's what I
> have, except I have the Comcast DVR box which records HD as well. It
> works very well for time shiftind HD programing.
>
> Jim

Related resources
December 2, 2004 2:09:45 PM

I don't think I would air my illegal activities in a newsgroup.

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)
>
> 1. What do you you pay a month?
> 2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?
> 3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it
> in?
> Or does the cable company need to do something.....?
>
> I know this might sound like an odd question, but let me explain ehheh...
> moved into the place and signed up for a Cable modem, and well I kinda got
> tv for free... I hear this is a common thing... if I request an HD Tunner
> i'm gona have to start paying for cable tv to... So if it can be anywhere,
> i'll have the box put on my parents bill and put it in my house... I guess
> technicaly its not free TV cause I am technicaly paying more for the cable
> modem since I do not have TV Service also... I know u say a few bux if u
> have both.
>
> <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message
>> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in
>> >tuner
>> >can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to
>> >get
>> >special feed from Comcast?
>> >
>> >I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV
> has
>> >one built in?
>>
>> Yes, you will need the HD box from Comcast. The built in tuner is for
>> OTA (over the air) broadcasts only. If you live in an area where there
>> are stations broadcasting HD you may be able to pick them up with an
>> indoor antenna, depending on how far from the tower you are.
>>

>> >Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD,
> you
>> >can get HD with their standard analog packages...
>>
>> Yes, you can get the HD box without the digital tier. That's what I
>> have, except I have the Comcast DVR box which records HD as well. It
>> works very well for time shiftind HD programing.
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:31:11 PM

I dont think its realy illegal, like I said I am techncialy paying for
cable, maybe its a promotional rate I got. I dont have the bill in front of
me... alls i know is if they try to tell me I need to purchase Gold Digital
Cable, Plus a Digital Box, Plus an HDTV Box, Plus a remote, its gona cost me
an arm and a leg... so I'm tring to make sure I know what I'm getting myself
into.

"Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I don't think I would air my illegal activities in a newsgroup.
>
> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)
> >
> > 1. What do you you pay a month?
> > 2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?
> > 3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it
> > in?
> > Or does the cable company need to do something.....?
> >
> > I know this might sound like an odd question, but let me explain
ehheh...
> > moved into the place and signed up for a Cable modem, and well I kinda
got
> > tv for free... I hear this is a common thing... if I request an HD
Tunner
> > i'm gona have to start paying for cable tv to... So if it can be
anywhere,
> > i'll have the box put on my parents bill and put it in my house... I
guess
> > technicaly its not free TV cause I am technicaly paying more for the
cable
> > modem since I do not have TV Service also... I know u say a few bux if u
> > have both.
> >
> > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message

TV
> > has
> >>
> >> Yes, you will need the HD box from Comcast. The built in tuner is for
> >> OTA (over the air) broadcasts only. If you live in an area where there
> >> are stations broadcasting HD you may be able to pick them up with an
> >> indoor antenna, depending on how far from the tower you are.

> > you
> >>
> >> Yes, you can get the HD box without the digital tier. That's what I
> >> have, except I have the Comcast DVR box which records HD as well. It
> >> works very well for time shiftind HD programing.
> >>
> >> Jim

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 3:01:33 PM

So how about this model?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...

it says it has

Tuner:
8 VSB
ATSC, NTSC
Clear QAM
Digital Cable
Seamless Tuning

Does that mean i can plug the cable in and get all the channels or jsut the
basic ones? 2,5,7?
"Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I don't think I would air my illegal activities in a newsgroup.
>
> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)
> >
> > 1. What do you you pay a month?
> > 2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?
> > 3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it
> > in?
> > Or does the cable company need to do something.....?
> >
> > I know this might sound like an odd question, but let me explain
ehheh...
> > moved into the place and signed up for a Cable modem, and well I kinda
got
> > tv for free... I hear this is a common thing... if I request an HD
Tunner
> > i'm gona have to start paying for cable tv to... So if it can be
anywhere,
> > i'll have the box put on my parents bill and put it in my house... I
guess
> > technicaly its not free TV cause I am technicaly paying more for the
cable
> > modem since I do not have TV Service also... I know u say a few bux if u
> > have both.
> >
> > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message

TV
> > has
> >>
> >> Yes, you will need the HD box from Comcast. The built in tuner is for
> >> OTA (over the air) broadcasts only. If you live in an area where there
> >> are stations broadcasting HD you may be able to pick them up with an
> >> indoor antenna, depending on how far from the tower you are.

> > you
> >>
> >> Yes, you can get the HD box without the digital tier. That's what I
> >> have, except I have the Comcast DVR box which records HD as well. It
> >> works very well for time shiftind HD programing.
> >>
> >> Jim

December 2, 2004 3:49:17 PM

So if I walk into the Bank and make a withdraw of money thats not
technically mine, I should consider it a promotional rate since I bank there
anyway... not bank robbery.

>I dont think its realy illegal, like I said I am techncialy paying for
> cable, maybe its a promotional rate I got. I dont have the bill in front
> of
> me... alls i know is if they try to tell me I need to purchase Gold
> Digital
> Cable, Plus a Digital Box, Plus an HDTV Box, Plus a remote, its gona cost
> me
> an arm and a leg... so I'm tring to make sure I know what I'm getting
> myself
> into.
>
> "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I don't think I would air my illegal activities in a newsgroup.
>>
>> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)
>> >
>> > 1. What do you you pay a month?
>> > 2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?
>> > 3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it
>> > in?
>> > Or does the cable company need to do something.....?
>> >
>> > I know this might sound like an odd question, but let me explain
> ehheh...
>> > moved into the place and signed up for a Cable modem, and well I kinda
> got
>> > tv for free... I hear this is a common thing... if I request an HD
> Tunner
>> > i'm gona have to start paying for cable tv to... So if it can be
> anywhere,
>> > i'll have the box put on my parents bill and put it in my house... I
> guess
>> > technicaly its not free TV cause I am technicaly paying more for the
> cable
>> > modem since I do not have TV Service also... I know u say a few bux if
>> > have both.
>> >
>> > <*jimanno@comcast.net*> wrote in message

> TV
>> > has

>> > you

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 3:49:18 PM

grumble :)

I didnt want to have a hudge debate over what is right and wrong, some of
the pratices cable companies do can be argued... before Dish and DirectTV
cable companies were monoplies... and for the fact I live in a condo and a
Dish isnt an option I still consider Comcast a monoply..

> So if I walk into the Bank and make a withdraw of money thats not
> technically mine, I should consider it a promotional rate since I bank
there
> anyway... not bank robbery.
>

> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I dont think its realy illegal, like I said I am techncialy paying for
> > cable, maybe its a promotional rate I got. I dont have the bill in front
> > of
> > me... alls i know is if they try to tell me I need to purchase Gold
> > Digital
> > Cable, Plus a Digital Box, Plus an HDTV Box, Plus a remote, its gona
cost
> > me
> > an arm and a leg... so I'm tring to make sure I know what I'm getting
> > myself
> > into.
> >
> > "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> I don't think I would air my illegal activities in a newsgroup.
> >>
> >> "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > ehheh...
> > got
> > Tunner
> > anywhere,
> > guess
> > cable

> > TV

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 3:49:37 PM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:31:08 -0600, in article
<Pe2dnfUBLfX6ujLcRVn-rA@giganews.com>, "Mike Nestroy"
<mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
>can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
>special feed from Comcast?
>
>I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV has
>one built in?

Depends what kind of tuner. If it has "unscrambled QAM" capability you
can get some of the channels, probably HD locals only.

If it has "cableCARD", advertised as "digital cable ready", then you can
get all the channels, if you get a cableCARD (conditional access
decryption card) to plug into the set from Comcast. These are cheaper
than STB.

In the long run you are likely going to use a box though, for stuff like
DVR capability & VOD. So I wouldn't spend a lot extra to get a TV with
a built in tuner. < $200 probably OK, more I probably wouldn't.
--
Stephen Tu
stephtu@surfbest.net

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
>can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
>special feed from Comcast?
>
>I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV has
>one built in?
>
>Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD, you
>can get HD with their standard analog packages...

Depends on what kind of tuner is built in, and what you want to
receive. OTA transmissions use a format called ATSC. Cable uses a
different one called QAM. The manual for your TV will say if it can
do QAM. It might specify unscrambled QAM, which is normally limited
to the cable feed of broadcast stations. You don't need a special
subscription for those.

For cable's other digital channels you need either the digital STB
from the cable company or a receiver with a CableCard slot (could be
built into your TV, but not many have them yet). Then you rent a
CableCard from the cable company, typically for $2.00/mo. or less and
subscribe to whatever you want.

Note that a tuner that handles only unscrambled cable cannot receive
scrambled channels even if you have subscribed to them. Also, you
can't record in HD unless you have a tuner (from the cable company or
otherwise) that has an integrated HD recorder. There is a possible
exception involving D-VHS and Firewire, but I don't recommend it for
beginners; there are too many gotchas. You can still convert to NTSC
and record that, but of course the quality will be severely degraded.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 7:36:28 PM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:31:08 -0600, <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
> can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
> special feed from Comcast?
>
> I know they charge 5bux for the rental of a HD Tuner, but what if my TV has
> one built in?
>
> Also I was told that you don't need their 'Digital' package to get HD, you
> can get HD with their standard analog packages...

Yes and no. You can use your own tuner with their standard analog service.
I've actually done this before, so I know it works.

However, your tuner has to be capable of decoding QAM digital signals (many
do not) and you will be very limited in channels. The only HD channels
that Comcast does not encrypt are the ones that they legally are not
allowed to. In other words, the local broadcast stations. For example,
you should be able to get CBS, NBC, ABC this way, but it is highly unlikely
that you will be able to get PBS, ESPN, etc unless you buy their HD service.

I used to do what you're thinking of trying, but ended up deciding that it
just wasn't worth it and got the Comcast basic digital package and their
HD tuner. I still use my HD tuner for OTA stuff, as there are channels
I can get off an antena that Comcast doesn't carry.

John.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:25:01 PM

"Del Mibbler" <mibbler@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Depends on what kind of tuner is built in, and what you want to
> receive. OTA transmissions use a format called ATSC. Cable uses a
> different one called QAM. The manual for your TV will say if it can
> do QAM. It might specify unscrambled QAM, which is normally limited
> to the cable feed of broadcast stations. You don't need a special
> subscription for those.
>
> For cable's other digital channels you need either the digital STB
> from the cable company or a receiver with a CableCard slot (could be
> built into your TV, but not many have them yet). Then you rent a
> CableCard from the cable company, typically for $2.00/mo. or less and
> subscribe to whatever you want.

Comcast in Maryland charges $5/mo. to rent their HD STB. I have
a splitter that goes around the STB and my Sony KDF-55WF655
can pick up all the non-premium HD channels and digital channels
directly. It also picks up several subscription ones that
should be scrambled but seem to have slipped thru the cracks.

If I bought the Comcast Cablecard for $60, it would not be necessary
to rent an HD set top box to get the other premium channels.

Don
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:02:27 AM

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p e2dnfUBLfX6ujLcRVn-rA@giganews.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to this stuff, but if I buy a new HDTV with a built in tuner
> can I just plug my Comcast cable into the TV and go? Or do I need to get
> special feed from Comcast?

my Sony KD34xbr960 has HDTV and digital tuners built in. i highly recommend
it, as does Consumer Reports.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...

In my area w/ Comcast "preferred service" (approx $50./month) i get all the
normal analog channels (used to be "enhanced basic"?) and the following in
HD:
(2) CBS (NY + Philly), ABC, FOX, NBC, PBS, INHD, INHD2. Also, the digital
music channels are avail (a waste for me).

If I want HBO, Cinemax, etc. i will have to upgrade to their"Digital
Platinum" pkg @ $99./month (i'm not paying for it now). This pkg includes a
HD HBO and HD Cinemax along w/ their respective "tiers" (from the Comcast
website: Our Digital Platinum package includes all the premium channels:
HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz! and The Movie Channel. Each premium includes
multiple channels.) Not all the premium movie channels are HD!!! only 2-3
are avail in HD, the rest are "digital".

in any case you'll need something to descramble them once you've subscribed
to them. the set-top box has the advantage of the Comcast "On-Demand"
service, which allows you to start/stop/pause programs that are offerred in
On-Demand. if a CableCard is offered in your area (it just became available
here) Comcast will program the card to descramble the premium channels (if
you subscribe to them). the CableCard apparently does not allow you to use
the Comcast program guide (Interactive Guide).

i suuggest you send Comcast an email and hope it gets forwarded to your
local office for an answer. the local tech people helped me, and were able
to give me the right answers.
this will tell u what's avail in HD

http://www.comcast.com/Support/ChannelGuide.ashx

this might be informative: http://www.titantv.com

hth!
-miike
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:36:40 AM

Mike Nestroy <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote:
} Thanks! now I got a few more questions :)
}
} 1. What do you you pay a month?

Under $25 for basic analog + HD. My city is expensive, most
areas are cheaper.

} 2. So I can still use my normal tivo with this new setup?

No.

} 3.If I order the HD box can I bring it to a different house and plug it in?

No.

} Or does the cable company need to do something.....?

Yes.

--

Frank Ball frankb@sonic.net
Anonymous

Comcast in my area does not charge anything extra for the HD box.

m-m
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:37:57 AM

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:01:33 -0600, "Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>So how about this model?
>
>http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...
>
>it says it has
>
>Tuner:
>8 VSB
>ATSC, NTSC
>Clear QAM
>Digital Cable
>Seamless Tuning
>
>Does that mean i can plug the cable in and get all the channels or jsut the
>basic ones? 2,5,7?

Great choice.

You can plug your cable right into that set and watch anything not
encrypted eg Home Box Office, etc.

For the encrypted channels you get a CableCARD from your cable company
and put it into the set's cablecard slot. Yes, that set has one:

• CableCARD™ Slot provides cable subscribers with access to digitally
encrypted cable channels – without the need for a set-top box – that
will enable you to receive not only standard definition but also high
definition television. The CableCARD, which is provided by your cable
TV provider, is inserted into the TV’s rear panel CableCARD slot.
After the service is activated with your cable TV company, the card
replaces the need for a separate set-top box.

That's a good CRT HDTV. You have a large 33" 16:9 image for DVDs and
widescreen content. Has the over the air tuner also.
!