St1m

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I’ve planned to do ram upgrade for a while now, but today I saw prices on new egg doubled for corsair’s memory. So I ordered corsair ddr2 800 2x1gig for $130 with $30 rebate on zoomfly. I already have 2x512mb sticks on my system with room for two more. I read on forums that installing 3 gigs is not recommended and it's better to have 2gigs instead. Should I cancel my order and get 2x512 sticks for $75 instead? My main concern is will they work in dual channel? I’m planning to do some editing/photoshop and gaming.

Mondoman

Splendid
With good quality RAM like that Corsair XMS2, you shouldn't have any problems. There's no requirement to have all modules be the same to run in dual channel mode; even the picky systems should be OK with pairs of identical modules (as you will have), even if one pair is different from the other.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I've been working on the same thing. My next upgrade will be adding two 1.024 gigabyte sticks of RAM to repalace two of the four 512 megabyte sticks I have. It should still allow for dual channel usage, as long as I keep the same size of modules in each channel. I'm planning on going all G. Skill, so it should be fine.