Sign in with
Your question

Need help for a Linux term paper?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 12, 2007 9:33:23 PM

I have to do a term paper on a OS and i decide to do it on Ubuntu, but i can find any thing that i need on it. I was wonder if you guys know any sites that talks about its, Process Management, File management, Memory Management , I/O system management , and anything else that useful for a term paper. Any help would be good.

More about : linux term paper

a b 5 Linux
March 12, 2007 9:39:57 PM

There is quite a bit in the developer section of the site but really you could use vanilla debian docs for the most part. Ubuntu is at the end of the day packaged debian. I know there are a few tweaks but I've not heard of anything that fundamentally different with it.

I'd start with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment and perhaps look to some of the mailing lists from there if you have specific questions.

I'm sure there will be others along with other suggestions.
a b 5 Linux
March 12, 2007 11:14:04 PM

All of that stuff is actually handled in the Linux kernel itself, so it is the same for all distributions*. As such, just a general source that discusses the kernel workings in such areas is the place to look, and there are plenty of great resources out there. For example, for a fine overview of scheduling and the various schedulers available, this is a great place to start.

*There are patches and non-committed kernel code that presents newer or improved capabilities that may be added to some kernels that are shipped with the various distros, however as a generalization, they all have the same basic capabilities and underlying structure.
!