Question about wide screen dimensions

RamboMadCow

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
How big do you have to go with a wide screen monitor to get the horizontal size of a standard 19", 20", and 21"? When you go wide screen, they usually cut the horizontal down some. I'm hoping to start looking for a monitor that has the horizontal dimensions that I listed while still being wide screen. Anyone happen to know this?

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
well i can't give any direct answer, but what i can do is say your looking for the vertical height not horizontal. Vertical is top to bottom, horizontal is side to side.

my 24" wide screen is lil over 13.75" vertical
my 17" LCD is lil over 11.75" vertical

Deux

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
well just eyeballing it it looks like my 15 inch 4:3 and my 17 inch 16:9 are within 1/2 inch of each other with the 17 being taller.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
When you go wide screen, they usually cut the horizontal down some.
They don't cut the verticle dimensions. The screen size is based on the length of a diagonal line across the screen. That said, a 20" or 21" widescreen would be about the same height as a 17" standard screen. 23" widescreen is about comparable in height to a 19" standard screen and a 26" widescreen is about the same as a 21" standard screen.

I wouldn't worry about it though. For most uses, I would personally prefer a widescreen to a standard screen of the same quoted size. The width is beneficial for multitasking as well as giving you a wider view angle for games.

RamboMadCow

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I completely understand about the width being so much better. I have a 20" wide right now and I love it. I was hoping to step up to a wide screen that had the same height as a standard 21" but I think a 26" wide screen is going to be a little too big. I'm planning to have 2 of them.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
At work I have two computers, two gateway Core 2 Duos, each one has a 22" Gateway widescreen (one runs Vista other runs XP). I will say two 22" widescreens side by side is way too much screen real estate for any common power user and gamer. My Dell 24" in my opinion is an ideal size once you get yourself a good distance from the screen is perfect. After being on the 24" screen even a 22" looks small, i call it the 2 foot curse, but i love it and wouldn't trade it in for the world.

RamboMadCow

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well, I'm not just a gamer/power user. I'm a web developer as well as a C++ coder. I wanted two of these big screens to help me be more productive in my work.