help please, new to OCing and dont want to ruin my card

tyrannosaur

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
hi all. i hope i put this is the correct forum since this is my first post.
anyway, i recently got an ATI X800XT PE AGP and its been running great, however, i did some research and found out that i could make it perform better. problem is i dont know how far i should try to push the thing, its standard speeds are the normal 520/560 and it idles on about 44c, under load is about 75, i got ATItool and used it to test its max core speed, the computer froze at almost 600mhz but the temperature didn't even go above 80c, i imagine this is because the card was running too fast and couldnt handle it or something. could anyone who has experience with this type of card reccomend core/memory speeds and fan speeds for each temperature please, its my first good graphics card and i dont want to ruin it, the PC crash scared me, i thought i had killed it. the card has been equipped with an Arctic Silencer 4 rev 2.

my PC specs are:
windows XP home
Pentium 4 3.06ghz
2GB RAM
ATI X800XT PE with AS4 (lol obviously :) )

thanks guys, much appreciated!
if any more info is needed, give me a shout

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
Yup get it up slowly and you w'ont have any problems.
A couple of freezzz and artifacts is usually not dangerous.

Your card mem and gpu will kind of ''exercise'' and become more tolerant to overclock over some time.

This is due to the valence of electron
(a complicated doped silicone story thing).

Anyway remember that any overclock has some level of risk involved.

If you d'ont want to have problem stay with lighter overclock 10-15%.

For temps ''lower the better'' but 70-80 is common in gpu and they are more heat resistant than cpu.

: ) welcome to overclocking : )