I guess I have some corrupted basic files in my Windows XP Pro.
Sometime ago I loaded an application, which compared my present computer
files with original Windows CD files.
But I cant remember what application was.
Any hint, please ??
Thanks for assistance

Use the following procedure to correct Windows XP system files.

Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter. In the resulting
Command Prompt window, type: SFC /SCANNOW , and hit enter.
You may be prompted to insert your Windows CD in the CD Drive.

SFC = System File Checker. SFC will scan your system and replace
missing or damaged XP system files with the correct version.

Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Afterward, perform the following in this order:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP