Upgraded to Media Player 11, now I get audio only on .wmv

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I don't get any errors and have only found pay sites for codecs...but Im thinking there is another problem. Microsofts OWN media player should play the .wmv format out of the box.

Symptoms are "No Vido" but the audio plays fine. I have tried many different files so it is not just a corrupted file.

Any help would be appreciated (also tried finding a codec for Nero Media Player but no luck there either)

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Thanks I'll try the codec pack....this is a real pain, one would think that Microsoft would make sure their player would play their own format 8O

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Well if you google the problem there are tons of people who seem to have the same problem but Im finding no solutions, Media Player classic didn't work, the codecs didnt work, quick time doesnt play the .wmv's so Im stuck. *sigh*

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Could be a conflict with something else installed or with licensed media (This is why most people are against DRM - it doesn't work). Hope the codec pack helps you.

Alternatively you could use another media player. I use the kmplayer (do not confuse with kmplayer which is for KDE) and I can tell use it is the best. You can downoad it from here. http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4094

Cheers