Brutus506

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
My copy of vista (ultimate x64) has been coming out of sleep mode randomly since i have installed it, and i am clueless as to how i can fix this problem.

I've turned off "automatic updates", automatic windows defender definition updates, and disabled automatic disk defragmentation, but the problem is still there.

This is one of the bigger problems I have with vista, and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Check your BIOS and make sure there are no settings that awaken it out of power management. Also make sure your BIOS is up to date because Vista is actually using the most up-to-date power management features of some of the mb and this is causing some older boards BIOS to "false start" when the process checks for activity on the hardware. Also, check the hardware properties for your network/modem to see if Vista can power it down to save energy because this may cause it to false start as well. One final thing is to see if turning off the screen saver makes a difference - that particular feature has caused power management problems on some hardware going all the way back to Win95.