Need help removing an ad pop-up

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
For the past week, I have been geting this pop-up every so often I use IE7. Some Asian site http://www.100x10000.com/cai_union.html keeps opening every time I start IE or it sometimes opens when I go to another site. I'm using XP and IE7, I don't want suggestions on using other browsers, just need someone to help me remove it. I had a similar thing a long time ago, and I searched it on google and found the solutions right away. I can't find anything on that ad, but I'm pretty sure I can solve it the same way, but I don't remember what file I deleted the first time to get rid of the other add pop-up.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I would also try the following:

1) Make sure no rogue entries have been added to your hosts file
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

2) Check your DNS settings have not been changed:
"Go to Control Panel, Network and Dial-Up connections.
Local Area Connection, Properties
Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Tick Obtain DNS address automatically"

3) Set IE back to the default settings
Click me !

Good luck !

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NaviHelper.dll
That's the thing that was doing it. Finally found it and deleted it. Same as what I got long ago but it was advertising a different ad.
Hubbardt was correct, but it's hard to know what are rogue files when you don't even know what the normal files are. :roll:

Zyxthior

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
You might try installing a Host Intrusion Detection System (HIPS) that will make you aware when any of your system files are changed. The Free Comodo Firewall has some HIPS functionality. Another 'smart' HIPS program is Cyberhawk (also free).

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Well, nothing was changed rather, something was added. I rarly ever get problems, so I wouldn't consider using those programs, but it's good to know something like that is out there.