Expert help needed badly, Throttling Problem

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Aloha guys

I will try to make a long story short.

I download lots of stuffs using torrent clients. At first I had some NAT problems with Azureus but it was easy to repair. Then I shifted to Utorrent, the perfect client ever, and life was so easy afterwards.

I have been using the same desktop computer since a couple of years together with 3com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router.

Till a couple of days, everything was fine as usual. Then I moved the computer to my new home. And now the problem begins.

It should be mentioned that the telephone service provider and the ADSL service provider are the same for my old and my new home. So basically, there was no need to change any settings in the router or in the TCP/IP settings.

When I hooked the router to the computer, I had no connection. I tried to tweak around for a while but in vain. So I called my ADSL service provider and we fixed it through resetting the router and it finally worked.

My contract with the ADSL company has always been and still is 1024 kbps / 256 kbps, which means I download at a speed range from 100 to 120 kbps and I upload at 25 to 30 kbps. And by the way, this is very expensive where I live.

Anyway, the problem was solved and I was able to be back online. But a new problem was raised.... I can ONLY DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD AT 1/2 speed and this applies not only to Utorrent but also to any download.... I checked back my hardware connections, the router settings, the IP addresses.... etc... everything was fine.

I tried everything you can imagine.... Enabling and disabling the windows firewall router.... Enabling and disabling the router's firewall.... I tried to forward the ports for Utorrent .... Tried to set up a static IP address.... nothing managed to rise up the speed back to what it should be.

I called the ADSL service provider again and again and again.... We tried to tweak everything starting from a couple of Dos commands, changing the browser settings up to changing router setting.... Still the same.

They called the phone service provider to check up on my phone line while I did a full and deep scanning using AVG antivirus, Lavasoft adaware, spy doctor and spybot search and destroy... The phone company replied that my phone line is as perfect as it should be and that my bandwidth should reach its maximum.... And my computer scanning revealed no harm whatsoever.

I tried my brother's 3com router, still the same.... I took my router to his home and tried it there... It allows downloading at full speed and not in half speed as in my case.

So I am left with 2 miserable options, which I think won't do any good...
1- I will bring my brother's notebook tomorrow and try testing its' download using his router and mine.
2- The ADSL support tech claims that he will change my phone line connection at the phone company (I still don't get this one).

Anyway, I am ready for any support or tip on how to fix this awkward situation.

Thanks a million.

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Out of the blue ... the problem was solved on its own last dawn ... i did nothing more ... i called the ADSL company to inform them so they won't take any more actions.
And i asked them what was the problem and how they did solve it ... i was aiming to know the answer so if it happens again i would point it out ... but their answer was vague enough ... the tech guy just said "there was a little problem and we managed to fix it"

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
9 times out of 10 they probably just re-provisioned the DSL line on their equipment. This usually resyncs the line. Otherwise they had you set for a certain port speed lower than what you were paying for.