Ubuntu install help please?

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I have a PC I'd like to install Ubuntu on. I burned an ISO onto a CD but I dont know how to install it on my second PC. I'm trying to figure it out.

When I start the computer it reads "missing operating system". The hard drive was erased using fdisk. How do I get to where I can install Ubuntu from the CD I burned?

Thanks for any help :D

linux_0

Splendid
You have to go into your PC's BIOS by hitting DEL, F1, F2 or F10 during boot.

In the BIOS you need to find the section that deals with your PC's boot order.

Once you've found that change the first boot device to CDROM save the settings and reboot.

That should do it.

GL :-D

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Thanks for reply.

OK I set CDROM as first boot and restart and it still gives me the "missing operating system" message. I hope I am able to do this because I'm looking forward to trying Linux very much.

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
It is possible the ISO I burned didnt turn out to be bootable. If I put it in this PC (My working PC) it should boot up showing me the Ubuntu screen correct? If so, then the disc didn't turn out bootable for some reason maybe?

linux_0

Splendid
Yes it is possible the ISO did not download correctly or the burn failed.

Be sure to check the md5 and sha1 sums to verify you have a good ISO image and try to burn it again.

Assuming you have Ubuntu 6.10

Go here:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/6.10/

and download

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/6.10/MD5SUMS

and optionally

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/6.10/MD5SUMS.gpg

Then download an md5sum program:

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html

And verify the md5sum of your ISO matches the sum in the corresponding MD5SUMS file

If the md5sum for your ISO matches then your ISO is good, if it does not match then you have a bad ISO.

If you have XP SP2 grab ISORecorder to burn your ISOs

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

If you do not have XP SP2 try one of these other versions:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

It tends to work quite well.

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I burned with ISORecorder and that solved the problem. Thanks so much for all your help. You rock! Can I run Ubuntu on this older PC or would you recommend something else?

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
hmmm, I can't seem to get Ubuntu installed. I hit "install" and up comes the orange processing bar. It works for a couple minutes and then the bar stops moving. Any suggestions?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
As linux_0 suggested, make sure that the large ISO file was not corrupted in the process of downloading it with the md5 or sha1 digest.

Also, be patient, as I recall the Ubuntu install, while fairly quick, can slow down in some areas and seem like it has stopped but is in fact fine (should not pause more than 5 minutes or so).

linux_0

Splendid
Yes I agree with bmouring on an older system certain parts of the install may seem to take unusually long.

Also the Ubuntu CD has a built-in memtest and media check.

I would suggest you run the built-in media check and run a few passes of memtest.

The Ubuntu CD's also have a test this disk feature. Instead of selecting the option to install just set the one to test the disc. A very quick and easy way to see if there is anything wrong.

EDIT: Sorry missed that linux_0 just said the same thing

Daveman77

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Ok I got ubuntu installed but now I have a new problem. When I restart after installation it asks me for my password which I provide correctly. It then gives me an "incorrect username or password" message. I can't login! I am positive that I typed it correctly. I even reinstalled and typed a one-letter passowrd to make sure and it still says it is incorrect. Please help! I feel like I'm almost there lol.

I've switched to installing ubuntu on my main PC in a dual boot with XP. So its not that old PC I mentioned.

Thanks all!

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Ok I got ubuntu installed but now I have a new problem. When I restart after installation it asks me for my password which I provide correctly. It then gives me an "incorrect username or password" message. I can't login! I am positive that I typed it correctly. I even reinstalled and typed a one-letter passowrd to make sure and it still says it is incorrect. Please help! I feel like I'm almost there lol.

I've switched to installing ubuntu on my main PC in a dual boot with XP. So its not that old PC I mentioned.

Thanks all!

Hey I'm trying to set that up right now. How do you switch between XP and Ubuntu on the same HD?

linux_0

Splendid
GRUB :D :lol:

It is a relatively simple process.

You can either shrink your XP partition to make room for Ubuntu or add a 2nd HDD and install on it.

GRUB then pops up during boot and asks you if you want to boot Ubuntu or XP.

Simple as that :-D

Thanks all!

Hey I'm trying to set that up right now. How do you switch between XP and Ubuntu on the same HD?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
GRUB :D :lol:

It is a relatively simple process.

You can either shrink your XP partition to make room for Ubuntu or add a 2nd HDD and install on it.

GRUB then pops up during boot and asks you if you want to boot Ubuntu or XP.

Simple as that :-D

Thanks all!

Yeah thanks for the advice but I cant find a GRUB download site that will work... where did you get yours?

Oh yeah I already installed both with seperate partitions all I need is to have access to Ubuntu and XP.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
OK sorry about that last post I already downloaded it from the site. Now do I need to place it somewhere in particular or somehow open the "GZ file" it was downloaded as?

That might well be the root of the problem. For some reason MS don't like to share and if you followed the default install options you would most likely blast the existing Ubuntu installation. XP is a bit dumb at spotting anything other than MS formatted partitions on a disc.

Do you have any spare disc space on this or any other disc? You can do things the other way round and add an ubuntu install to the XP boot menu or you can install grub (it gets installed at the end of the Ubuntu install process) and add XP to that. There are still lots of options open.

linux_0

Splendid
Windows arrogantly removes GRUB or any other non-windows boot loader during the installation process.

You will have to follow this procedure to restore it:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_restore_GRUB_menu_after_Windows_installation

Ubuntu should have installed GRUB by default during the installation process.

Boot into Ubuntu and follow this procedure to add windows:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_add_Windows_entry_into_GRUB_menu

Well the problem is that whenever I boot up, it automatically goes to Windows. I can't access Ubuntu but I think the problem was installing Ubuntu first, then Windows.