Fixing computer... looking for xp home help.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
I'm fixing a computer for someone at work. He had an Emachines computer where the ps failed and took the mobo with it.

Hard drive is intact and i'm hoping to still use his license of windows and just update it or something. Is this possible, or does he have to go and repurchase windows now?

Also, he's upgrading to a core duo processor and mobo, and on the back of the mobo box it says,
"Intel EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, OS, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operations) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS."

Does this mean he needs the 64 bit version of windows now as well, or is regular xp home fine? Is this true for all 64 bit processors?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well if the motherboard is changed auto validation will not work. You will have to get on the phone to renew the license. Hope you are strong nerves (to be honest MS's tech support is much better than most).

The regular 32 bit version will work fine. Actually I would recommend against going for the 64 bit version as with current (average home user) software he is not going to see an advantage (an drivers are harder to find too).

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Windows activation is no big deal and takes about 5 minutes if that. I've had to do it several times when replacing mobo No worse than anything else involved in installing Windows :)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
All he has is a restore disk, will that be a problem?

If all he has is a restore disk, he'll have to get a new copy of Windows. If that's the case, you can get an OEM XP at newegg for $90. Personally, I wouldn't get Vista right now, I'd wait until the came out with the first Service Pack if not the 2nd SP.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
hmmmm, he won't like that. total cheapskate, but then he goes and buys 450 dollars worth of stuff. Another 100 won't go over, i'm sure, too well.

Do you think that since his old hard drive is still intact, it will just install new drivers, and then i can tell him that if he ever has a crash or something of that nature, he has to go buy windows? As long as i get him running, i'm sure it'll be fine.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Let us know how it plays out. Technically Microsoft allows a transfer of a license to a new motherboard because they know they do fail. Getting re-activated is a simple phone call. I would try the restore disk but it will likely fail since most of them are customized to the motherboard they came with.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If the old installation was valid (i.e. not pirate copy) then it really doesn't matter from where you install the OS. You can download the insulation disk from the inet or use your one. Just make sure the you enter his serial number when promoted. It's the license that matters and not the physical media from which you install said OS.

p.s. If you get the same type of MB you won't have to reinstall just reactivation should do. From what the other posters have said I gather that MS's support is much better in the state than here :( so it should be easy.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
hmmmm, he won't like that. total cheapskate, but then he goes and buys 450 dollars worth of stuff. Another 100 won't go over, i'm sure, too well.

Do you think that since his old hard drive is still intact, it will just install new drivers, and then i can tell him that if he ever has a crash or something of that nature, he has to go buy windows? As long as i get him running, i'm sure it'll be fine.

I could be wrong but I think a restore disk is an image taken of the computer after the mfg installs all the software and it will only work on the original machine Obviously the best way to see if it'll work is to try it.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Well if it is an image then all he has to do is get the same MB (model that is) and restore it. He will only need to activate no install required.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Well if it is an image then all he has to do is get the same MB (model that is) and restore it. He will only need to activate no install required.

Sounds like it would work but not sure how easy it would be to get an identical board because I would guess E Machine uses different mfg and may or may not make modifications. I really don't know exactly how imagining works, only that you can't use an image disk from one machine on a different one. Personally, I would get a better mobo and CPU than E Machine used and spring for the XP, but then it's not my money.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
What was I thinking?????? I'm bad :( .

Is he gets the same MB he wont need to use the image disk at all (it will work if he does) All he has to do is to plug in the HDD and activate. No install no driver update nothing required.

Note this'll work only if the mb is available separately.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
This is an E-machines board. They are custom made for E-machines. The only way to get an identical board is if that model board happened to still be in stock in limited quantities. I highly doubt that would be the case and if it was, and if the computer was long out of warranty (since the PS failed as well and they are replacing it as well, the replacement board, IF E-machines would sell one it would likely be more expensive (being a custom part) than a third-party enthusiasts board.

Now if an image the install routine does look at the motherboard; it will determine this is not the original board (but with the original hard drive there might be a code left in a restore partition that the install routine sees). So there is no harm in trying.

That said, it can be a simple matter of asking E-machines for an OS disc and they might play nice.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Didn't know about emachines using custom boards. Thanks for clearing that out.

He could try another board with the same chipset. Still he wouldn't need to use the image disk. Just plug in the HDD. It will either work or it will give a BSOD.

If that dosen't work, as I stated he can use any disk to install XP (even 1 download from the i-net) since he has the license. It is legal.

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Well, i'll be putting together his system tonight and plugging in the HD to see what I can do with it.

Here's what he's bought:
PS - Coolmax 550watt
MOBO - Intel Essential Series D945Gcl
Proc. - Intel PD 915 2.8ghz 800mhz fsb
Ram - Buffalo 1GB DDR2 533mhz CL4
HDD - 2 SATA 1.5 160GB drives (bundle deal from Tiger, looking to sell one of them)
Fan - Thermaltake Golden Orb II (Copper and Alum. 752g, 17dBa, fanspeed = 1600 rpm

Hopefully that stupid orb thing doesn't snap his board in half being so heavy. I thought I had a big cooler on my Barton core! (scythe)

94blue302gt

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Well, I installed all the hardware last night, but found that there is only one IDE hookup and he has the old IDE hdd and an IDE cdrom.
How the heck do i hook both up?
Really, he wants it all to run off of the SATA drive, so could I just copy everything over to that?
Otherwise, I have two options.... Unplug the IDE hdd and install xp home from someone else's cd and just use his code (it does have the code printed on the packaging i believe),
OR,
Buy myself a dvd/cd burner of SATA type, which I plan on doing anyways for my next build, which is really only a couple months away. (Maybe I could scam him for the HDD, although, i want the 3.0, not the 1.5)

Any more wonderfull suggestions?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Don't worry the one IDE port on the MB can handle 2 devices. While it's not good for your main drive (having the optical drive connected to the same port will affect performance.), it is good enough for a back up drive. Just make sure that the HDD is set as master and the optical drive as slave. (also the blue end of the cable should go to the MB the black end to the HDD and the grey to the optical drive.)

Also if you cant sell the 2nd SATA drive conside using it as a RAID 1 setup up

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
If the chipset is different from the one he originally had you will have to do a clean (new) installation of windows

Incorrect information.

I have changed a motherboard using a SIS chipset and AMD K6 proccessor to one with an Intel P4 800 Mhz processor with a VIA chipset. To my surprise Windows XP booted. I had a bunch of yellow bangs in System. What I did do beforehand was went to the manufacture web site for the board and downloaded the drivers for it. I only had to install new drivers.

The correct answer really is, when you change a motherboard it is a very good idea to wipe your drive and do a clean installation of Windows.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Incorrect information.

I have changed a motherboard using a SIS chipset and AMD K6 proccessor to one with an Intel P4 800 Mhz processor with a VIA chipset. To my surprise Windows XP booted. I had a bunch of yellow bangs in System. What I did do beforehand was went to the manufacture web site for the board and downloaded the drivers for it. I only had to install new drivers.

That is an exception not the rule to which you agree by stating how you were surprised.

The correct answer really is, when you change a motherboard it is a very good idea to wipe your drive and do a clean installation of Windows.

Agree with you here. but some people need to get the system up ASAP.

TRENDING THREADS