Attachments not appearing in Outlook Express

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Okay, I'm having a frustrating issue here.

This PC in the office, has Outlook Express installed & set up. Here's the thing - on the Inbox view it shows almost every email as having attachments, has the little paperclip icon next to the sender's name and all. However, on only three or four of those emails are the attachments available - on the rest that show attachments in the folder view, nothing is shown when opened, and the 'save attachments' option in the File menu is greyed out - not available.

Basically, to OE the attachment simply does not exist beyond the icon in the folder view. Can anyone shed any light at all on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Check under Tools, Security. I'd Uncheck Do Not Allow Attachments etc and if the problem continues Uncheck the one below that blocks images. It's also possible that the some of the messages where Forwarded without the attachment

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sometime MS's protectiveness is too much. I sent my self an exe file and outlook didn't let me access it or even save it to disk. Had to rar the bloody thing!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sometime MS's protectiveness is too much. I sent my self an exe file and outlook didn't let me access it or even save it to disk. Had to rar the bloody thing!

I guess mother (half word?) Microsoft feels it has to protect us from ourself and they really out did themselves in Vista. :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I haven't tried it but from the reviews I've read the security is pretty intrusive in terms of whether you want to allow programs to do things, a lot of pop ups. I understand you can turn this particular security setting off.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I understand you can turn this particular security setting off.

Which kind o defeats the purpose doesn't it? I think I saw a MAC ad that went along similar lines.

You did see the ad, it's one of the funnier and probably truer of the series and yes, turning it off defeats the purpose. Unfortunately, running any security at too high a level will interfere with how programs run and the intrusiveness of messages. Like just about everything in life, there are trade offs.