Activate win xp

I have recently bought a copy of XP home and an about to install a new hard
disc to my existing pc and then Install XP home, my plan is to upgrade my set
up in stages as my Budget allows and the next move will be to upgrade the
motherboard , proccessor and memory etc, however I have heard that once I
have activated my copy of xp home that it will be difficult to update my
hardware as the 30 digit code that is generated to copmplete activation is
compiled from analiseing my current hardware and that once i install the new
hardware I cannot actvate my copy of xp home twice i am currently useing
Millenium and do need to upgrade as soon as i can but am reluctantly
prepaired to wait till i upgrade my hardware if needed has anyone had
experience of this or can anyone give me any advice
i would be very gratefull fo any help
Regards

David
5 answers Last reply
More about activate

    sdeehess wrote:
    > I have recently bought a copy of XP home and an about to install a new hard
    > disc to my existing pc and then Install XP home, my plan is to upgrade my set
    > up in stages as my Budget allows and the next move will be to upgrade the
    > motherboard , proccessor and memory etc, however I have heard that once I
    > have activated my copy of xp home that it will be difficult to update my
    > hardware as the 30 digit code that is generated to copmplete activation is
    > compiled from analiseing my current hardware and that once i install the new
    > hardware I cannot actvate my copy of xp home twice i am currently useing
    > Millenium and do need to upgrade as soon as i can but am reluctantly
    > prepaired to wait till i upgrade my hardware if needed has anyone had
    > experience of this or can anyone give me any advice
    > i would be very gratefull fo any help
    > Regards
    >
    > David

    You've "heard" wrong. WPA doesn't impede computer upgrades in the
    least. Here are the facts pertaining to Product Activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    However, as you're planning to upgrade a computer that apparently came
    with WinMe, there are other considerations.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Did you purchase an OEM, Upgrade, or Full Retail copy of XP?
    OEM versions are suppose to be tied to the original equipment installed on.
    Upgrades & Full install copies can be transferred to other computers or
    computer configurations without any problem as long as they are only
    installed on 1 computer at a time and can be activated as many as needed (no
    limit). If you try to activate within 120 days from the last activation then
    there is a possibility you will have to call MS activation center but that
    takes about 5 min. and is no problem, you will know when you try to activate
    there will be a 800# appear in the activation box if online activation fails
    and a phone call is needed.

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    on Windows XP
    by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "sdeehess" <sdeehess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

    sdeehess, No regrets never look back

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > sdeehess wrote:
    > > I have recently bought a copy of XP home and an about to install a new hard
    > > disc to my existing pc and then Install XP home, my plan is to upgrade my set
    > > up in stages as my Budget allows and the next move will be to upgrade the
    > > motherboard , proccessor and memory etc, however I have heard that once I
    > > have activated my copy of xp home that it will be difficult to update my
    > > hardware as the 30 digit code that is generated to copmplete activation is
    > > compiled from analiseing my current hardware and that once i install the new
    > > hardware I cannot actvate my copy of xp home twice i am currently useing
    > > Millenium and do need to upgrade as soon as i can but am reluctantly
    > > prepaired to wait till i upgrade my hardware if needed has anyone had
    > > experience of this or can anyone give me any advice
    > > i would be very gratefull fo any help
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > David
    >

    > You've "heard" wrong. WPA doesn't impede computer upgrades in the
    > least. Here are the facts pertaining to Product Activation:
    >
    > Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
    >
    > Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
    >

    > However, as you're planning to upgrade a computer that apparently came
    > with WinMe, there are other considerations.
    >
    > Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > hardware components or applications.
    >
    > You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > still support Win9x.
    >
    > HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    >
    > Upgrading to Windows XP
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
    > Thank you to all for your advice.

    If you have the "retail" version of XP, you can activate it as many times as
    necessary, so long as it is on only one PC at a time. For the home edition,
    this version costs about $200 (full) or $100 (upgrade). If you are offerred
    something about half those prices, that is probably an OEM edition, which is
    intended for people who build PCs for a living, or for a few very talented
    users. The OEM version is locked to the original hardware, meaning the
    original motherboard. The OEM version has other limitations, and it does
    not sound like it is right for you.

    Assuming that you have a retail version, do NOT install it yet !

    First, run the upgrade advisor. It is free from Microsoft at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    It may also be on an XP CDROM.

    If the advisor notes any potential problem hardware or software, investigate
    further and have a plan to deal with them. Things to consider, which it may
    try to warn you about:

    1. uninstall all antivirus and system level software, such as anything by
    Symantec/Norton, McAfee, PowerQuest, including things like GOBACK and
    TAKETWO. Such software is often specific to a given operating system, and
    the installation will choe DLLs appropriate for the currently installed
    operating system.
    2. uninstall all CD/DVD writing software.
    3. be sure to have a BIOS that is Y2K compatible. Any BIOS whose date is
    after jan 1, 2000 probably qualifies. But, some with earlier dates also
    qualify.
    4. have at least 128 meg of RAM. XP loves RAM and can use as much as your
    PC can handle. But, older PCs have limits much less than the XP limit. My
    old Gateway, circa 1998, could only handle 384 Meg. XP ran very well on
    that, een though the CPU was only a Pentium 2 at 450 Mhz.
    5. have at least 3 Gig free on the hard drive for XP, and prefwerrable
    twice that. XP is large and likes to make a bunch of temporary files while
    it is running.
    6. If you have hard drives running at ATA/100 orATA/133, be sure to use an
    80-pin cable. Earlier version of wndows were tolerant of using a 40-pin
    cables; XP is not.

    Assumng that the hardware is OK or upgradable, and the software is OK, or
    removeable, back up personal files off the PC (just in case). Better yet,
    back up the entire C: drive with something like GHOST or True Image.

    Then, install XP, which may take an hour. If it stalls, just try it again.
    I would suggest that you do NOT convert NTFS format during the upgrade. You
    can do that later, or never, since XP runs fine on FAT32.

    After a successful upgrade, install antivirus and (optionally) other
    system-level software. Be sure that the version you are installing says
    that it is compatible with XP.

    Before going anywhere else on the internet, use the automatic update feature
    of XP to get all critical updates from Microsoft. Examine any
    non-critical Micosoft updates, since these sometimes include better drivers
    for sound and video. Also, get updates for you antivirus, spy-protection,
    etc.

    Once updated, and working OK, activate XP. You have 30 days, so be sure you
    are happy with things before activating.

    If you make minor changes, a couple of times a year, it is unlikely that you
    will ever need to re-activate. The one thing that will certainly lead to a
    re-activation is replacing the motherboard. But, don't worry, if automatic
    re-activation via the internet fails, call the 800 number that will appear
    on the screen and explain what you changed. I needed to do this once, and
    the Microsoft representative was quite friendly and helpful. I was
    re-activated in under 10 minutes.

    sdeehess wrote:
    > I have recently bought a copy of XP home and an about to install a
    > new hard disc to my existing pc and then Install XP home, my plan is
    > to upgrade my set up in stages as my Budget allows and the next move
    > will be to upgrade the motherboard , proccessor and memory etc,
    > however I have heard that once I have activated my copy of xp home
    > that it will be difficult to update my hardware as the 30 digit code
    > that is generated to copmplete activation is compiled from analiseing
    > my current hardware and that once i install the new hardware I cannot
    > actvate my copy of xp home twice i am currently useing Millenium and
    > do need to upgrade as soon as i can but am reluctantly prepaired to
    > wait till i upgrade my hardware if needed has anyone had experience
    > of this or can anyone give me any advice
    > i would be very gratefull fo any help
    > Regards
    >
    > David

    The first thing you need to purchase is a new keyboard, as yours appears to
    be missing vital punctuation - i.e. the full stop, question mark and comma.
    A post with no sentences, and other punctuation, is incredibly hard to read.
    Did you try reading that once you'd typed it?

Hardware Windows XP Product