Cooler decision for Intel Quad-Core 2.4GHz CPU

shruikanshade

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Alright so ive chosen everything for my PC except the cooler, where im still stuck between the "CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit (+ 2 EXTRA CASE FANS)" and the "ASUS Silent Square Pro CPU Cooler"

Ive read reviews of both and both seem to work well, especially the Silent Square, but apparently there are sometimes problems with it being properly attached to the surface of the CPU to absorb maximum heat, and im wondering if it will have enough cooling power to sufficiently cool a quad-core CPU. The Liquid Cooling costs the same give or take £1, and i think it may cool better, but as none of the major reviewers with a reputation seem to have reviewed it, i dont know how effective it actually is.

Alternatively would it simply be best to try and find a Thermalright Ultra 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme from a different supplier (the one im buying the PC from doesnt offer it) and install that myself when i get the rest of the PC (im already doing this with the PSU).

This is the CPU the cooling system will have the job of cooling:

(Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit

The case ive got is renowned for its cooling abilities...but with a quad-core unit i defo want a good cooler for the CPU alone, money is not really ab object (as long as its not insane), i just want to make sure this pc doesnt melt as my old one did, leaving me with a prehistoric laptop and just 1 game which could run on it.

zephod

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Nice cpu choice, wish i had your money.

As for air coolers, the Zalman CNPS 9700 does a fantastic job of cooling s775 cpus. I haven't tested a water cooling kit but reviews tend to say they can make a fair few degrees difference at high overclocks. However, the CNPS9700 has 5700cm2 of copper surface area funneled by a 110mm fan which should be more than enough, its just a question of noise. The cooler is v effective at around 1200rpm, but if you are really going to push the limits of that processor you will probs need to run it at between 2000-2700(~max). Although the fan itself is quiet, the air noise at those revs passing across the fins can be pretty annoying. Water cooling would obviously be a hell of a lot quiter.

zephod