Can the Vista OEM Be installed on More than one PC?

Jeyaa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Will the oem only allow me to install the software on one pc, or can I install it on more than one PC, under the same same? Different name?

Thanks

Solution
OEM = 1 installed computer.

Windows Update keeps track of your computer and it'll register one computer with that OEM. Change it up and you may lose your ability to update.. that is, if the Motherboard and CPU don't match up to what another PC has.

Basically, OEM is cheaper because its only for one computer for the life of that computer. No other computer.

riser

Illustrious
OEM = 1 installed computer.

Windows Update keeps track of your computer and it'll register one computer with that OEM. Change it up and you may lose your ability to update.. that is, if the Motherboard and CPU don't match up to what another PC has.

Basically, OEM is cheaper because its only for one computer for the life of that computer. No other computer.

Solution

islanddog

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
what happens if I upgrade an OEM computer? New motherboard and CPU. Will Vista stop working/updating?

If you change something like the motherboard, Vista is going to ask you to reactivate. You will have to call Microsoft and explain the situation to them.