Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Flaps article in PCGamer UK

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

Chaps,

Don't know how many of you read PC Gamer in the UK, but the latest issue,
151, has a six page article on the state of Flaps, Flaps 1.5 and 2.

They don't mention multiplayer at all, which is a pain, but it's a good
article, well worth a read. I won't ruin it in case you buy it, but if
you're NOT gonna buy it, I'm sure I (or someone else that has it!) could
summarise the key points.

H

More about : flaps article pcgamer

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:31:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, H. Barker wrote:

> Don't know how many of you read PC Gamer in the UK, but the latest issue,
> 151, has a six page article on the state of Flaps, Flaps 1.5 and 2.
>
> They don't mention multiplayer at all, which is a pain, but it's a good
> article, well worth a read. I won't ruin it in case you buy it, but if you're
> NOT gonna buy it, I'm sure I (or someone else that has it!) could summarise
> the key points.

What I *forgot* to say was, the article revolves around an interview with
BIS.

D'oh.

Too... early...
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:43:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

What is FLAPS?

--Uzi

"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0507050831170.7072@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk...
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, H. Barker wrote:
>
>> Don't know how many of you read PC Gamer in the UK, but the latest issue,
>> 151, has a six page article on the state of Flaps, Flaps 1.5 and 2.
>>
>> They don't mention multiplayer at all, which is a pain, but it's a good
>> article, well worth a read. I won't ruin it in case you buy it, but if
>> you're NOT gonna buy it, I'm sure I (or someone else that has it!) could
>> summarise the key points.
>
> What I *forgot* to say was, the article revolves around an interview with
> BIS.
>
> D'oh.
>
> Too... early...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:08:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Uziyahu wrote:

> What is FLAPS?

Let's think...

Operation Flashpoint.

Flash

Flaps

Surely not :) 
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:17:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

> What is FLAPS?

It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

Jaffo wrote:
>>What is FLAPS?
>
>
> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>
>
>

I thought they were part of the female anatomy
or have I been visiting the wrong websites?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Mort<TZW> wrote:

>>> What is FLAPS?
>>
>> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>
> I thought they were part of the female anatomy
> or have I been visiting the wrong websites?

I'd like to say I was offended my post wasn't taken with some enthusiasm
and harp on about how it's only because I'm not a long time poster on the
list but have been a lurker for ever.

But that was just way too funny :) 
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:50:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

H. Barker wrote:
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Mort<TZW> wrote:
>
>>>> What is FLAPS?
>>>
>>>
>>> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>>
>>
>> I thought they were part of the female anatomy
>> or have I been visiting the wrong websites?
>
>
> I'd like to say I was offended my post wasn't taken with some enthusiasm
> and harp on about how it's only because I'm not a long time poster on
> the list but have been a lurker for ever.
>
> But that was just way too funny :) 
>

All part of the service :-)
But seriously I'll see if I can find a copy of that mag in WH Stiffs as
I wouldn't mind reading the article
July 6, 2005 1:19:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

ok, better summarize!!

thx



"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0507050824250.7072@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk...
>
> Chaps,
>
> Don't know how many of you read PC Gamer in the UK, but the latest issue,
> 151, has a six page article on the state of Flaps, Flaps 1.5 and 2.
>
> They don't mention multiplayer at all, which is a pain, but it's a good
> article, well worth a read. I won't ruin it in case you buy it, but if
> you're NOT gonna buy it, I'm sure I (or someone else that has it!) could
> summarise the key points.
>
> H
>
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:58:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

supposed to be FRAPS???

but asians having problems with R???

usually they have problems with L


"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42ca883f$0$16286$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>> What is FLAPS?
>
> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>
>
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:19:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

hehehehe

--Uzi

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42ca883f$0$16286$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>> What is FLAPS?
>
> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>
>
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:21:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

I think it depends on whether they are Korean, Chinese, or Japanese, similar
to the Sibboleth/Shibboleth thing with Israelites anciently.

--Uzi

"James Siegel" <jamess459@mchsi.com> wrote in message
news:aVGye.136547$nG6.34321@attbi_s22...
> supposed to be FRAPS???
>
> but asians having problems with R???
>
> usually they have problems with L
>
>
> "Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:42ca883f$0$16286$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>>> What is FLAPS?
>>
>> It's a program Asian gamers use to grab screenshots.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:10:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, TJ wrote:

> ok, better summarize!!

Let's think...

Essentially they're happy with the Xbox version of Flaps and think they
pretty much optimised it as much as they can. So in effect, for 1.5,
they're REporting Flaps back to the PC. They think the view distances etc
are optimised on XBox and think they can do the PC version that much more
justice. They also mention the vaunted "join in progress" feature.

For Flaps 2 they're hinting at roleplaying elements; you will be able to
accumulate better abilities with weapons through use. You'll also be able
to interrogate the NPCs for extra information - I think we knew that
already.

One of the other big points about Flaps 2 was about it being one huge
ongoing scenario rather than broken down into individual missions; you'll
still be doing missions, but you won't pause and get another mission
reload as you do during the current single player campaign. You'll just
keep going and going and going.

Also the campaign will be dynamic in that everything you do has
consequences. If you take out a patrol for example, they won't go past you
and into the village and attack anyone, and if you stumble across a supply
area and destroy it, it will cut down on the enemies supplies, etc.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

Wow, that'll be cool. I wonder if you'll have to sleep and eat, too.

Once at JRTC I was so tired I fell asleep in patrol gear sitting in a metal
folding chair with my head bowed. About 6 or 7 hours later (amazing!) there
were shots in our perimeter and we were in a firefight with OpFor that had
gotten into our perimeter and were going around "slitting throats" of those
who were asleep.


"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0507062206360.11891@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk...
>
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, TJ wrote:
>
>> ok, better summarize!!
>
> Let's think...
>
> Essentially they're happy with the Xbox version of Flaps and think they
> pretty much optimised it as much as they can. So in effect, for 1.5,
> they're REporting Flaps back to the PC. They think the view distances etc
> are optimised on XBox and think they can do the PC version that much more
> justice. They also mention the vaunted "join in progress" feature.
>
> For Flaps 2 they're hinting at roleplaying elements; you will be able to
> accumulate better abilities with weapons through use. You'll also be able
> to interrogate the NPCs for extra information - I think we knew that
> already.
>
> One of the other big points about Flaps 2 was about it being one huge
> ongoing scenario rather than broken down into individual missions; you'll
> still be doing missions, but you won't pause and get another mission
> reload as you do during the current single player campaign. You'll just
> keep going and going and going.
>
> Also the campaign will be dynamic in that everything you do has
> consequences. If you take out a patrol for example, they won't go past you
> and into the village and attack anyone, and if you stumble across a supply
> area and destroy it, it will cut down on the enemies supplies, etc.
>
> Hope that helps.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:57:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

In that article, they mention a mod called Volcano on the coverdisk. Can you
give us any info about that if you've got the mag (I've only seen the scans
of the article in the post by Uzi). Couldn't find anything when I had a
search earlier.

TY
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jaffo wrote:

> In that article, they mention a mod called Volcano on the coverdisk. Can you
> give us any info about that if you've got the mag (I've only seen the scans
> of the article in the post by Uzi). Couldn't find anything when I had a
> search earlier.

I've played Volcano quite a few times, and it's a lot of fun. But I don't
want to give anything away as it's full of surprises.

If you REALLY want spoilers, email me.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:33:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

> I've played Volcano quite a few times, and it's a lot of fun. But I don't
> want to give anything away as it's full of surprises.

That's ok, you don't have to give anything away but do you have a link to
it's site (if it has one) so I can download it. Not been able to find
anything through Google etc.

Cheers
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jaffo wrote:

>> I've played Volcano quite a few times, and it's a lot of fun. But I don't
>> want to give anything away as it's full of surprises.
>
> That's ok, you don't have to give anything away but do you have a link to
> it's site (if it has one) so I can download it. Not been able to find
> anything through Google etc.

I don't, I'm afraid, as our primary Flapper downloaded it. I'll try to
find it for you and give you a URL.

Be warned though, we found a few minor technical issues with it. Five
players was pushing it a little and increased the buginess.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:34:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

The only Volcano I found was an MEC competition mission

the magazine refers to a Volcano mod


"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0507130846520.14437@virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk...
>
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jaffo wrote:
>
>> In that article, they mention a mod called Volcano on the coverdisk. Can
>> you
>> give us any info about that if you've got the mag (I've only seen the
>> scans
>> of the article in the post by Uzi). Couldn't find anything when I had a
>> search earlier.
>
> I've played Volcano quite a few times, and it's a lot of fun. But I don't
> want to give anything away as it's full of surprises.
>
> If you REALLY want spoilers, email me.
!