FYI, Circuit City discount

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 2, 2004 7:59:57 PM

I finally jumped into the HDTV pool and ordered a
Sony 60 inch XS955 from Circuit city over the phone.

On the web it's listed at $3,890.00. I called the 800 number just
because I'm too lazy too fill out the forms online.

Just for kicks I asked if they could offer me any other discounts (it
was already on sale) and they gave me a 10% CC gift card. They'll
mail me the $389.00 card after I've had the TV for 30 days.

Add in free delivery and I'm pretty happy so far.

Sean
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:46:44 AM

I guess that sounds good, but when you think about it, you did not save any
money, you were just able to get some $400 worth of something else. They
did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out of your
original money you would have spent for the TV anyway. These places are not
stupid.

--
This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I finally jumped into the HDTV pool and ordered a
> Sony 60 inch XS955 from Circuit city over the phone.
>
> On the web it's listed at $3,890.00. I called the 800 number just
> because I'm too lazy too fill out the forms online.
>
> Just for kicks I asked if they could offer me any other discounts (it
> was already on sale) and they gave me a 10% CC gift card. They'll
> mail me the $389.00 card after I've had the TV for 30 days.
>
> Add in free delivery and I'm pretty happy so far.
>
> Sean

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 1:46:45 AM

he got $400 worth of stuff from cc instead of spending it on the tv...unless
he plans to never buy anything cc sells again, he pretty much saved money

""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o XMrd.37678$Qv5.35407@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> I guess that sounds good, but when you think about it, you did not save
any
> money, you were just able to get some $400 worth of something else. They
> did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out of
your
> original money you would have spent for the TV anyway. These places are
not
> stupid.
>
> --
> This site exposes them all!
>
> www.unclet.netfirms.com
>
> Damn toms!
> "Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I finally jumped into the HDTV pool and ordered a
> > Sony 60 inch XS955 from Circuit city over the phone.
> >
> > On the web it's listed at $3,890.00. I called the 800 number just
> > because I'm too lazy too fill out the forms online.
> >
> > Just for kicks I asked if they could offer me any other discounts (it
> > was already on sale) and they gave me a 10% CC gift card. They'll
> > mail me the $389.00 card after I've had the TV for 30 days.
> >
> > Add in free delivery and I'm pretty happy so far.
> >
> > Sean

Related resources
December 3, 2004 2:30:47 AM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:46:44 GMT, "\"Guest\"" <n0gar@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I guess that sounds good, but when you think about it, you did not save any
>money, you were just able to get some $400 worth of something else. They
>did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out of your
>original money you would have spent for the TV anyway. These places are not
>stupid.

Better than nothing. If he's like me he'll spend another $400 anyway.

To reply drop XYZ in address
December 3, 2004 2:39:16 PM

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:30:47 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:46:44 GMT, "\"Guest\"" <n0gar@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I guess that sounds good, but when you think about it, you did not save any
>>money, you were just able to get some $400 worth of something else. They
>>did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out of your
>>original money you would have spent for the TV anyway. These places are not
>>stupid.
>
>Better than nothing. If he's like me he'll spend another $400 anyway.

Exactly. I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the next few months. That
$400 gift card will come in handy.

Sean
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:42:06 PM

""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o XMrd.37678$Qv5.35407@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
: I guess that sounds good, but when you think about it, you did not
save any
: money, you were just able to get some $400 worth of something else.
They
: did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out
of your
: original money you would have spent for the TV anyway. These places
are not
: stupid.
:
Hmmm, He's able to get $400 of something else, like CD's, or a
satellite radio, some DVD's, or maybe a tv stand, help pay for that
new front-loader washing machine, how about a 'bagless' vacuum
cleaner. Who pays for that? Circuit City pays for that, not Sean or
me or you, but Circuit City.

I got the same from Best Buy. I've gotten a couple of DVD's and CD's.
Stuff that I wouldn't have normally purchased at all. I didn't pay
for any of what I've got, plus I still have $'s left on my gift card
to spend. Looks like Christmas got cheaper for me.
Russ

: --
: This site exposes them all!
:
: www.unclet.netfirms.com
:
: Damn toms!
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:46:51 PM

This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> he got $400 worth of stuff from cc instead of spending it on the
tv...unless
> he plans to never buy anything cc sells again, he pretty much saved money

I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he is still
using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose anything,
but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it, $3,000 minus
$400. That's $2,600. If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your pocket, so
you have not saved and the store has not lost. You may be able to get some
extra items, but you still paid for it. It's not free. If you would have
shopped at the right places on the net, you could have gotten that TV for a
little less money AND kept the leftover in you pocket to really save.
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:01:04 PM

""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:
:
<snip>: I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he
is still
: using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose
anything,
: but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it,
$3,000 minus
: $400. That's $2,600.

Think about it $3000 + $400 is $3400.00. He's (we're) able to
purchase an EXTRA $400.00 worth of merchandise that he doesn't have to
pay for, not a dime. He's able to walk out with another $400.00 worth
of stuff! And, while he can't get cash to spend somewhere else, he's
able to grab CD's, help pay for a washing machine, buy a satellite
radio, and grab a couple of DVD's. All stuff that he would have had
to pay for otherwise. So he does win.

If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
: and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your
pocket, so
: you have not saved and the store has not lost.

They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
$400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?

:You may be able to get some
: extra items, but you still paid for it.

He paid for the tv, not for the other stuff. True, he can't use it as
a payment on his tv, but chance is that he'll purchase other stuff
anyway, how about that nice power protector?

: It's not free. If you would have
: shopped at the right places on the net,

I compare on the net. I find specifications on the net. I buy in
person. I touch knobs. I look at picture quality. I look at the
remote, how it feels in my hand. You JUST CAN'T DO THAT ON THE NET!

:you could have gotten that TV for a
: little less money AND kept the leftover in you pocket to really
save.
:
:
Russ
December 3, 2004 9:01:05 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:01:04 GMT, "kw5kw"
<qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:

>""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>:
>:
><snip>: I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he
>is still
>: using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose
>anything,
>: but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it,
>$3,000 minus
>: $400. That's $2,600.
>
>Think about it $3000 + $400 is $3400.00. He's (we're) able to
>purchase an EXTRA $400.00 worth of merchandise that he doesn't have to
>pay for, not a dime. He's able to walk out with another $400.00 worth
>of stuff! And, while he can't get cash to spend somewhere else, he's
>able to grab CD's, help pay for a washing machine, buy a satellite
>radio, and grab a couple of DVD's. All stuff that he would have had
>to pay for otherwise. So he does win.
>
> If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
>: and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your
>pocket, so
>: you have not saved and the store has not lost.
>
>They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
>$400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?
>
>:You may be able to get some
>: extra items, but you still paid for it.
>
>He paid for the tv, not for the other stuff. True, he can't use it as
>a payment on his tv, but chance is that he'll purchase other stuff
>anyway, how about that nice power protector?
>
>: It's not free. If you would have
>: shopped at the right places on the net,
>
>I compare on the net. I find specifications on the net. I buy in
>person. I touch knobs. I look at picture quality. I look at the
>remote, how it feels in my hand. You JUST CAN'T DO THAT ON THE NET!
>
>:you could have gotten that TV for a
>: little less money AND kept the leftover in you pocket to really
>save.
>:
>:
>Russ

Listen, I'm the one who posted about this "discount" as a way to let
others know it's available if you ask for it.

I had looked around at all the other sites and the CC price of
$3,890.00 was the lowest of those I was willing to do business with.

Actually, it was the lowest price I found period. So you are wrong
when you say I could have gotten it for less money. I couldn't.

The $400 gift card is like found money since I would have bought the
TV without it. I will be in the market for a new laptop in a couple of
months and that $400 will come in handy.

I'll spend it at CC but so what?

Sean
December 3, 2004 10:19:59 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:46:51 GMT, "\"Guest\"" <n0gar@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he is still
>using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose anything,
>but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it, $3,000 minus
>$400. That's $2,600. If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
>and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your pocket, so
>you have not saved and the store has not lost. You may be able to get some
>extra items, but you still paid for it. It's not free. If you would have
>shopped at the right places on the net, you could have gotten that TV for a
>little less money AND kept the leftover in you pocket to really save.

From a business viewpoint it's really foolish to give a discount on a
sale that is already made. He got $400 worth of merchandise in
appreciation and CC gets him to come back in the store. Getting
customers in your store is the #1 task for any retailer.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
December 3, 2004 10:21:06 PM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:01:04 GMT, "kw5kw"
<qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:

>""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>:
>:
><snip>: I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he
>is still
>: using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose
>anything,
>: but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it,
>$3,000 minus
>: $400. That's $2,600.
>
>Think about it $3000 + $400 is $3400.00. He's (we're) able to
>purchase an EXTRA $400.00 worth of merchandise that he doesn't have to
>pay for, not a dime. He's able to walk out with another $400.00 worth
>of stuff! And, while he can't get cash to spend somewhere else, he's
>able to grab CD's, help pay for a washing machine, buy a satellite
>radio, and grab a couple of DVD's. All stuff that he would have had
>to pay for otherwise. So he does win.
>
> If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
>: and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your
>pocket, so
>: you have not saved and the store has not lost.
>
>They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
>$400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?

Exactly but the most important thing is that he did not take that $400
to ANOTHER STORE.
Thumper
>:You may be able to get some
>: extra items, but you still paid for it.
>
>He paid for the tv, not for the other stuff. True, he can't use it as
>a payment on his tv, but chance is that he'll purchase other stuff
>anyway, how about that nice power protector?
>
>: It's not free. If you would have
>: shopped at the right places on the net,
>
>I compare on the net. I find specifications on the net. I buy in
>person. I touch knobs. I look at picture quality. I look at the
>remote, how it feels in my hand. You JUST CAN'T DO THAT ON THE NET!
>
>:you could have gotten that TV for a
>: little less money AND kept the leftover in you pocket to really
>save.
>:
>:
>Russ

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:36:27 AM

"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote

> From a business viewpoint it's really foolish to give a discount on a
> sale that is already made. He got $400 worth of merchandise in
> appreciation and CC gets him to come back in the store. Getting
> customers in your store is the #1 task for any retailer.
> Thumper
> To reply drop XYZ in address

Not sure what you mean here, whether you think it's a good idea for a store
to do this or not. In any case, in sales, there is a value assigned to
giving a customer something after the sale is closed -- something that you
and customer both realize you do not have to give up to make that sale. It
helps to prevent "buyer's remorse" after the sale and therefore may prevent
a return. Also, it makes a friend for the store, a friend who will A. come
back and B. tell others good things about the store and the great deal he
got.

mack
austin
December 4, 2004 1:02:25 AM

> They did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out
> of your original money you would have spent for the TV anyway.
> These places are not stupid.

OK. If this is such a great deal for Circuit City, why don't they
give 100% Gift Cards and advertise that the TV is therefore free? Pay
$3000 and get a $3000 gift card plus the TV.

:-)

Rich...
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 1:38:25 AM

This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:01:04 GMT, "kw5kw"
> <qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:
>

> >""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >:
> >:
> ><snip>: I don't mean to sound hard, but he did not save anything as he
> >is still
> >: using his original money for the TV. Circuit City did not lose
> >anything,
> >: but made it appear as if the customer gained. Think about it,
> >$3,000 minus
> >: $400. That's $2,600.
> >
> >Think about it $3000 + $400 is $3400.00. He's (we're) able to
> >purchase an EXTRA $400.00 worth of merchandise that he doesn't have to
> >pay for, not a dime. He's able to walk out with another $400.00 worth
> >of stuff! And, while he can't get cash to spend somewhere else, he's
> >able to grab CD's, help pay for a washing machine, buy a satellite
> >radio, and grab a couple of DVD's. All stuff that he would have had
> >to pay for otherwise. So he does win.
> >
> > If the $400 had gone in your pocket, then you save
> >: and the store lost. The $400 does not and cannot go into your
> >pocket, so
> >: you have not saved and the store has not lost.
> >
> >They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
> >$400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?
> >

> Exactly but the most important thing is that he did not take that $400
> to ANOTHER STORE.
> Thumper
> >:You may be able to get some
> >: extra items, but you still paid for it.

Some of you missed what I was trying to say. He THINKS he saved (that is
what CC wants you to believe, that is why they gave him the GC) AND the
store DOES NOT have $400 less in their drawer. They have the SAME original
amount that he paid for the TV! The $400 is the same $400 to the store, but
it turns into different merchandise for the customer. Let's try this again:

$3,000 - $400 WOULD be $2,600. HOWEVER, it is $3,000 - $400 Gift card which
is not cash and not money back, so it is really: $3,000 - $400 credit, but
NO CASH which equals out to STILL $3,000 spent by the customer and NO money
lost by CC. I hope that explains it a little better.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 1:38:26 AM

"Guest" (n0gar@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> $3,000 - $400 WOULD be $2,600. HOWEVER, it is $3,000 - $400 Gift card which
> is not cash and not money back, so it is really: $3,000 - $400 credit, but
> NO CASH which equals out to STILL $3,000 spent by the customer and NO money
> lost by CC. I hope that explains it a little better.

No, it doesn't.

What the OP got was $3,400 worth of Circuit City merchandise for $3,000.
That's a savings of $400.

--
Jeff Rife | "But as much as everybody loves you, there is
SPAM bait: | one question that keeps coming up...how dumb

This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:v%4sd.64177$KQ2.8836@fe2.texas.rr.com...

> "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote
>
> > From a business viewpoint it's really foolish to give a discount on a
> > sale that is already made. He got $400 worth of merchandise in
> > appreciation and CC gets him to come back in the store. Getting
> > customers in your store is the #1 task for any retailer.
> > Thumper
> > To reply drop XYZ in address
>
> Not sure what you mean here, whether you think it's a good idea for a
store
> to do this or not. In any case, in sales, there is a value assigned to
> giving a customer something after the sale is closed -- something that you
> and customer both realize you do not have to give up to make that sale.
It
> helps to prevent "buyer's remorse" after the sale and therefore may
prevent
> a return. Also, it makes a friend for the store, a friend who will A.
come
> back and B. tell others good things about the store and the great deal he
> got.
>
> mack
> austin

It worked well too. He still thinks he got a deal. I go to Best Buy or
Circuit City ONLY to see what I want to buy off of the net in person. That
is all they are good for. Try Etronics.com. JandR.com. I know of my
secret spot, but I can't tell... I need that to get items that are sold out
everywhere else.
December 4, 2004 6:05:43 PM

On 3 Dec 2004 22:02:25 -0800, TheMagicSquare@comcast.net (Rich) wrote:

>> They did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is out
>> of your original money you would have spent for the TV anyway.
>> These places are not stupid.
>
>OK. If this is such a great deal for Circuit City, why don't they
>give 100% Gift Cards and advertise that the TV is therefore free? Pay
>$3000 and get a $3000 gift card plus the TV.
>
>:-)
>
>Rich...
Sigh.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:12:19 PM

"Guest" wrote:
> "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>That's $400 worth
>>of merchandize that will not be sold to someone else. CC essentially
>>gave away $400.
>

> If you say so. I feel that they saved $400 from going out of their pockets.
> CC did not lose a dime.

OK. Look at this:

1) Customer buys $3000 TV with no discount. CC gives up one TV and takes
in $3000.

B) Customer buys $3000 TV and gets a $400 gift card. CC gives up one TV
and $400 of other merchandise and takes in $3000.

What about that do you fail to understand? Do you think that CC gets
their goods for free? That's the only way your explaination makes any sense.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:23:21 AM

This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> "Guest" wrote:
> > "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>That's $400 worth
> >>of merchandize that will not be sold to someone else. CC essentially
> >>gave away $400.
> >

> > If you say so. I feel that they saved $400 from going out of their
pockets.
> > CC did not lose a dime.
>
> OK. Look at this:
>
> 1) Customer buys $3000 TV with no discount. CC gives up one TV and takes
> in $3000.
>
> B) Customer buys $3000 TV and gets a $400 gift card. CC gives up one TV
> and $400 of other merchandise and takes in $3000.
>
> What about that do you fail to understand? Do you think that CC gets
> their goods for free? That's the only way your explaination makes any
sense.

> Matthew

If you put it like that you are right, in a sense. I was going along the
lines of money discount or gift card. I guess that solves that.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:41:58 AM

when i bought my tv a year ago, cc had the lowest price on it
anywhere...PLUS they gave a 10% card with it...so i suppose it wasn't a good
deal to get the set there? i didn't really gain anything by getting the 10%
card on top of the lowest price for the tv i could find?

of course, this was an online only deal and i didn't want to wait, so i went
to hh gregg and offered them that i would buy the tv at the cc price less
10%, but that i would also spend the 10% on something else at the same time,
since i needed a dvd player anyway...they went for it and i had my tv the
next day...seemed like a sweet deal to me

"Rich" <TheMagicSquare@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > They did not lose any money at all... No matter what you buy, it is
out
> > of your original money you would have spent for the TV anyway.
> > These places are not stupid.
>
> OK. If this is such a great deal for Circuit City, why don't they
> give 100% Gift Cards and advertise that the TV is therefore free? Pay
> $3000 and get a $3000 gift card plus the TV.
>
> :-)
>
> Rich...
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:48:01 AM

""Guest"" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BV5sd.2704
> Some of you missed what I was trying to say. He THINKS he saved (that is
> what CC wants you to believe, that is why they gave him the GC) AND the
> store DOES NOT have $400 less in their drawer. They have the SAME
original
> amount that he paid for the TV! The $400 is the same $400 to the store,
but
> it turns into different merchandise for the customer.

no, not different merchandise, ADDITIONAL merchandise

> Let's try this again:
>
> $3,000 - $400 WOULD be $2,600. HOWEVER, it is $3,000 - $400 Gift card
which
> is not cash and not money back, so it is really: $3,000 - $400 credit, but
> NO CASH which equals out to STILL $3,000 spent by the customer and NO
money
> lost by CC. I hope that explains it a little better.

their margin OBVIOULSY went down, since he got more merchandise for
$3000...if he gets a tv and 10 video games instead of just a tv for the same
money, the store did NOT make the same money from the sale...again, if he's
going to spend $400 there anyway, then it's EXACTLY like $400 in his pocket
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:26:35 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, kw5kw <qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:

> They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
> $400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?

Nope. They paid less than $400 for the merchandise.

So both sides make out.

I "get" about a 4% discount at Best Buy by having on of their discount
cards. They send me gift certificates. But they don't lose the 4%,
because they pay less for the mechandise.

This is the basis of all commerce: The buyer gets something that is
worth more to him than it is to the seller.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

(EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, kw5kw <qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:
>
> > They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
> > $400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?
>
> Nope. They paid less than $400 for the merchandise.

This makes no difference. *Every* store pays less than the sale price
for their merchandise...that's how they stay in business. Stores like
Best Buy and Circuit City can't afford to give away 10% gift cards with
*every* purchase with their current markups...they'd go out of business
in a year.

No matter how you look at it, $400 of free merchandise is a good deal.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/CoWorker.gif
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:26:36 PM

EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:
> I "get" about a 4% discount at Best Buy by having on of their discount
> cards. They send me gift certificates. ...

The Reward Zone went down to 3 1/3% from 4% last month FWIW.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:06:52 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> (EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, kw5kw <qwerty.kw5kw@swbell.net.qwerty> wrote:
> >
> > > They have $400.00 less in their cash register after he leaves with
> > > $400.00 worth of merchandise. Right?
> >
> > Nope. They paid less than $400 for the merchandise.
>
> This makes no difference. *Every* store pays less than the sale price
> for their merchandise...that's how they stay in business. Stores like
> Best Buy and Circuit City can't afford to give away 10% gift cards with
> *every* purchase with their current markups...they'd go out of business
> in a year.

> No matter how you look at it, $400 of free merchandise is a good deal.

I agree. I was just pointing out that it is a good deal for both sides.
The customer gets $400 worth of benefit, while it costs the retailler
less than $400 to provide that benefit.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the
disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-- Dwight David Eisenhower
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:09:57 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, SaltiDawg <saltidawgNOSPAM@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:
> > I "get" about a 4% discount at Best Buy by having on of their discount
> > cards. They send me gift certificates. ...

> The Reward Zone went down to 3 1/3% from 4% last month FWIW.

Zow! As it turns out, my card ran out last month too. I decided that I
was unlikely to spend $250 bucks there anytime soon, so I didn't get a
new card. And now that the break-even point is $300, I'm more glad that
I let it expire.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the
disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-- Dwight David Eisenhower
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:15:52 PM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, SaltiDawg <saltidawgNOSPAM@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

> > Zow! As it turns out, my card ran out last month too. I decided that I
> > was unlikely to spend $250 bucks there anytime soon, so I didn't get a
> > new card. And now that the break-even point is $300, I'm more glad that
> > I let it expire.

> And of course one will not benefit from subscribing to the Reward Zone
> unless one spends $300+ per year - I do, apparently you don't.

I did last year. I moved and needed a bunch of new stuff. Just the
laptop computer alone was good for $40 in certificates.

But this year, I'm unlikely to spend that much on Best Buy stuff. Mostly
what I buy will be bought at a discount elsewhere. If I end up getting
an MP3 player, maybe I'll re-up my Reward Zone card.

It's damn complicated buying stuff these days. You need to compare not
only the prices, but also the special discounts. If I use my Amex Blue
at Staples, I get 2% off. If I also use my Staples discount card, I get
some additional percentage in Staples gift certifs. My Regular MC gets
me a 1% discount. CVS has a card. So does every supermarket. My wallet
is stuffed with cards and special coupons that I need to sort through
every time I buy something.

It was easier in the old days, when stuff just went "on sale".

--
!