Is quad core worth it?

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I will soon be building a computer (in the next 2-3 months) and was wondering if it quad core was really worth going for. With my new build i won't want to upgrade for a good few years and would also like to play all games coming out in the near future with all the eye candy!

I was think of going for either the E6600 or the Q6600. If i have to i will splash out the extra cash but would prefer not to... hehe.

Thanks

Well first off C2D is more than enough for any game out there except for Flight Simulator X. Games like Supreme Commander are raising the bar though. The march of progress tells me that it won't be lowered from this point. So the answer is if you don't want to upgrade for awhile and you wish to be more future proof, then I gotta say quad core is the way to go. More developers are going to utilize as many threads as they have cores. Also don't forget that eye candy isn't brought entirely by CPU power, don't skimp on GPU power. If you can't afford both, you need to find a comprimise. Go the C2D with a high end GPU. But hell if you can afford both, might as well break the bank.

Hopefully by the time your ready to build, AMD will have some benchmarks out for Barcelona. Then you can avoid buyers remorse if AMD come out with something better.

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
thanks for the replies

well i was thinking about the 320mb 8800gts + the processor, with the evga 680i mobo. Hmmm, would upgrading my monitor to a 22" widescreen be worth the cash aswell? iver got a 19" lcd at the minute but i would like higher res. I could probably forget about the widescreen and go for quad...

Im hoping for the prices of the gpus to go down wen ati release there monsters, so hopefully should be able to afford a better graphics card when the time comes.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Well first off C2D is more than enough for any game out there except for Flight Simulator X...

FS-X isn't even multithreaded. :? Amazing, considering it can bring the fastest C2Ds to its knees. GG Microsoft! :roll:

Anyway, to the OP, an E6600 will perform the same as a Q6600 in 99.99% of the games available today (the exception is Sup Com of course :p) but we should start seeing more games taking advantage of quad core within the next 12 months. How much of a difference is anyones guess, for all intents the 'quad core optimised' games may end up GPU limited anyway, just like how Oblivion and COD2 is optimised for dual core but unless you have a very fast GPU there is virtually no difference between single and dual core.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
As much as having one would be nice, it's not worth it to go quad core right now. The E6600 is a good CPU to go with for a good while. If you start running slow in the near future you can always overclock a bit to keep things on the up and up. In a couple years time it might be a good idea to upgrade the CPU. By that time you'll probably be available to purchase the most powerful CPU Intel (or AMD) will ever make for your motherboard. Would end up being a good time, too, since shortly after that prices may start going up like AMD chips have had happen with socket 939 parts.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
My view on this is...

If you are buying now and don't need quad core, get a dual.
It will work out cheaper to buy a dual now and get a quad in just few months time if you think you need it.

If you need a quad core, then there isn't much you can do about it, you either buy it or "suffer".

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
yeah, like dj and darious said, do the dual core right now.

when the 45nm bombs drop, watch them slash prices like they did to the pentium d's when c2d was released.

but quad is the way to go, faster everything :D

Not wanting to be argumentitive, but the OP said he doesn't want to upgrade for the next couple years. So that means that getting a QC in a couple of months or in a year is out of the question. Like I said before computing requirements (gaming included) aren't going to stay static. QC's are here and dev's are going to start to compile for them. So although it may not make much sense now, you might be singing a different tune in 9 months from now. If the OP isn't going to have the money in a years time, but has it now, now is the time to buy if he want's to be future proof.

PGHammer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
yeah, like dj and darious said, do the dual core right now.

when the 45nm bombs drop, watch them slash prices like they did to the pentium d's when c2d was released.

but quad is the way to go, faster everything :D

Dual-core now, but definitely quad in July (when Q6600 prices get halved). Exceptions: video transcoding/editing (prosumer/professional); Supreme Commander - you have those on your plate, then go quad-core now.

Processor to *avoid*: E6700.

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
very valid point, as going quad core will 'future proof' your system. not being able to predict the future in any way, the cheapest quad core chip now costs what the e6700 did not too long ago! so for roughly 550, you'll be picking up one serious piece of hardware, though clocked slower, performs faster. you can always oc a chip, but you can't add anymore cores :D

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
cheers for the advice

say if i was going to build a computer in mid june, how long after that would the prices be slashed? would it be worth the wait?

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Even if i had lots of money to burn i wouldn't go with Quad-Core.
For now Core 2 Duo is the best way to go!
give me a Gigabyte P965 DS3+E6400+2GB Good DDR2 800MHz and i will be the happiest man on earth.(off course when i reach 3.2GHz) :tongue:

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
i don't know when the price slashing begins, but it goes down consistently, some other people will have a better idea of when price drops would be coming around.. however, june sounds really optimistic considering price drops JUST occured.

the only reason c2d is the best way to go now is because of the price differential; the performance increases you'll see with quad don't necessarily make up for the almost 2x the costs. that's why i'm using an e6600 right now [which, oc'd to 3.2, is FAST] and waiting until the quad core chips fall below 300, then i can follow that upgrade path for a faster chip while still getting many months of usage from my old c2d.

i dunno, maybe my logic is fuzzy.

well i was thinking about the 320mb 8800gts + the processor, with the evga 680i mobo. Hmmm, would upgrading my monitor to a 22" widescreen be worth the cash aswell? iver got a 19" lcd at the minute but i would like higher res. I could probably forget about the widescreen and go for quad...

Im hoping for the prices of the gpus to go down wen ati release there monsters, so hopefully should be able to afford a better graphics card when the time comes.

A 22" Widescreen is WELL worth it dude. Seriously I didn't think much of it when I got mine. I was dying for desktop space for my internet browsing, chatting, downloading, and what not at the same time. But the Gaming is SO much BETTER. The widescreen aspect just adds so much to the game trust me on this.

Or go for the 640MB gts or something. Honstly no game right now or in the very near future is going to need a Quad. Seriously I am not even thinking about this until it becomes a problem. Just keep all your apps closed during gaming and that's about it.

I vote. MONITOR.

Just try playing Supreme commander on a 17 or 19" with 1280x1024 res. Those stupid bars take up 1/3 of the screen and you can't see squat. Everyone was jealous at the last lan. They all wanted one. I got a Dell, yes you can stone me now, 22" that was on sale for $296. not top notch with all the bells and whistles as the ultrasharp but definiely a decent monitor for the price.

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
there are a lot of 19" monitors that sport 1680x1050 [16:10] resolution, so you're not necessarily getting higher res with a 22", you're just getting more screen real estate. i have a 22" samsung 226bw, and it was well worth the 350 i spent on it.

and tunez, i forget that you want to primarily run games, and in that case, a c2d would be much more than sufficient as most games aren't even optimized for dual core! so, jay is right, you'd be better served with an awesome video card and a good monitor.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
i don't know when the price slashing begins, but it goes down consistently, some other people will have a better idea of when price drops would be coming around.. however, june sounds really optimistic considering price drops JUST occured.

Q6600 will drop to US$ 266 in Q3 (July, August, September) according to some articles I've seen. Hopefully the 8900 GTX will be out too by then :p

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I agree with darious00777.

Take a look at the CPU tests on THG. The one place quad-core does better is with the multi-threading tests, where they run several applications that perform long autonomous operations. There is a BIG difference between an app like photoshop processing two 30meg files at the same time, and a game that needs to do its processing in between frames. Only one thread can send the final data to the video card. Multithreading shines much more when doing long batch-like operations.

Then you need to look at the price differences between the 2-core and 4-core CPUs. If it gets to a point serveral years from now that you need more CPU power, you will be able to use the money saved buying a C2 now to buy the latest CPU and motherboard (and possibly newer RAM). By not wasting that money now, you will have it to get a really substandtial upgrade to performance when you actually need it.

Anyway, that is what I am thinking, as I continue to play with my P4 3.0 system. I am still waiting for a compelling need to upgrade, like the existence of an actual DX10 game.

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
More and more games are being multithreaded. I predict that the next hot titles to come out will be almost exclusively multi-threaded and you will need the quad core to play the games with all the bells and whistles on. Even games that were not originally multi-threaded when they were developed are being optimized for multiple (more than 2) cores via a patch. FSX is an example of this. If you don't think you're going to buy any more games in the future, buying the core 2 duo might save you some money to play yesterday's games. If you have the money for quad core, I think it is a worthwhile investmentment.

Rob

PGHammer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
More and more games are being multithreaded. I predict that the next hot titles to come out will be almost exclusively multi-threaded and you will need the quad core to play the games with all the bells and whistles on. Even games that were not originally multi-threaded when they were developed are being optimized for multiple (more than 2) cores via a patch. FSX is an example of this. If you don't think you're going to buy any more games in the future, buying the core 2 duo might save you some money to play yesterday's games. If you have the money for quad core, I think it is a worthwhile investmentment.

Rob

The immediate hole in that theory is that no game (or even new must-have application) will have shipped that requires more than two cores between now and the expected halving of Q6600 prices (a mere three months out). E6600 today is $236USD (local retail); it was $306USD (same dealer) two months ago (and that was a sale price, while the current price is the new retail number). Q6600 in Q3 will likely be no *worse* than $285USD (again, same dealer), while the E6600 will not only see pricing remain flat, but it will basically be discontinued. Paying over twice as much for two extra cores is no bargain; however, paying less than $50USD more for two extra cores (even if you don't need them most of the time) is a major bargain.

Also, there are other reasons to seriously consider multiple cores; how many people run only one application at a time these days? If you run so much as two IMs and a P2P application in the background at all times (and that would actually be considered *light*), you are a genuine candidate for a multicore CPU today. For each additional two applications you add to the combined load, you can safely add the processing power of another core to your real-time processing loadout. I pretty much stopped running one application at a time when Windows 2000 (and Intel's NetBurst Architecture) were still new (remember, Hyperthreading hadn't gone real-world yet). And don't even get me started on the power required to run productivity applications (such as OpenOffice.org, browsers, or e-mail apps). It's not just multi-threaded applications or games; but multiple single-threaded applications/utilitities running at once that also seriously call for a multi-core CPU. (And *that* sort of processing load is a lot more commonplace than people will want to admit; take a good look at the tasktray of your OS of choice (even, perhaps *especially*, if you are still running Windows XP); add one core for every three icons in that tray.)

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

Rob

The immediate hole in that theory is that no game (or even new must-have application) will have shipped that requires more than two cores between now and the expected halving of Q6600 prices (a mere three months out). E6600 today is $236USD (local retail); it was $306USD (same dealer) two months ago (and that was a sale price, while the current price is the new retail number). Q6600 in Q3 will likely be no *worse* than $285USD (again, same dealer), while the E6600 will not only see pricing remain flat, but it will basically be discontinued. Paying over twice as much for two extra cores is no bargain; however, paying less than $50USD more for two extra cores (even if you don't need them most of the time) is a major bargain.

Also, there are other reasons to seriously consider multiple cores; how many people run only one application at a time these days? If you run so much as two IMs and a P2P application in the background at all times (and that would actually be considered *light*), you are a genuine candidate for a multicore CPU today. For each additional two applications you add to the combined load, you can safely add the processing power of another core to your real-time processing loadout. I pretty much stopped running one application at a time when Windows 2000 (and Intel's NetBurst Architecture) were still new (remember, Hyperthreading hadn't gone real-world yet). And don't even get me started on the power required to run productivity applications (such as OpenOffice.org, browsers, or e-mail apps). It's not just multi-threaded applications or games; but multiple single-threaded applications/utilitities running at once that also seriously call for a multi-core CPU. (And *that* sort of processing load is a lot more commonplace than people will want to admit; take a good look at the tasktray of your OS of choice (even, perhaps *especially*, if you are still running Windows XP); add one core for every three icons in that tray.)

Its not really that big of a deal. I'm on vista and as i write this, one core of my 6700 is idle and the other is @ 1%. I have 8 programs in my system tray, limewire, and this iexplore window open.

Now, I DO understand your point. I was playing some BF2142 the other day, smooth as silk. I looked down and saw that my hard drive is going crazy. That usually doesnt happen. So, I duck out of the game to see why my disk is accessing like a mofo. Turns out, my defrag was running AT THE SAME TIME as my McAfee decided to do a full virus scan.

No performance hit to my game whatsoever. That's just with 2 cores. I was kind of floored for a minute. Then I told her she's a good girl and went back to fraggin noobs.

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
that sounds like a PLAN,

but bf2142 has a much larger reliance on your videocard, doesn't it?

stealth_jag has a good point to consider when he's talking about multiple apps and the amount of cores being used, but if the op has gaming and some light duty work in mind, a dual core would certainly fit the bill if he were to get a system right now, considering it takes a lot to totally wipe out 2 cores to oblivion at this point. the price differential would be a tough pill to swallow seeing as he's only primarily gaming [which is what he stated].

deserthorizons

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I will soon be building a computer (in the next 2-3 months) and was wondering if it quad core was really worth going for.

The price will come down on those in Q3 '07

so, when is Q3..?

edit: line added> and the ANSWER may be,

I went back and looked at the price cut calendar for Intel over the last 6 years..
except for '05,
all the Q3 price cuts have come in July..

(one year as late as July 31st..)