choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You can delete the files & folders manually. Then search carefully searchyour HDD looking for components, addons, files folders that the application could have put in different folders and delete them. Finally go through the registry with a finetooth comb.

Basically while you can do it, it is 1000 times easier using add/remove or the uninstaller.

exculiber

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
You can delete the files & folders manually. Then search carefully searchyour HDD looking for components, addons, files folders that the application could have put in different folders and delete them. Finally go through the registry with a finetooth comb.

Basically while you can do it, it is 1000 times easier using add/remove or the uninstaller.

I tried manual deletion but it's not reliable. Errors keep popping up because of missing files as a result of undeleted components.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
not so easy. just read his posts above. His problems seem to be that he has uninstalled or tried to ......... and he keeps on getting errors.

Me thinks there is some left over garbage. Sort of like looking for a needle in a haystack.

@ OP you could try to reinstall the program that gave you the problems and then uninstall again

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Ahhh ... I should drink more coffee and read the entire post :wink:

If he posts the error we could possibly help but as you said it could be a needle in a haystack ...

Need more answers:

- When does the error ocurr ? (boot up, opening Explorer ....)
- Anything in the eventlogs ?
- Actual error message
- etc

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
No worries.

Might be worth considering making an image (using Norton Ghost for example) of your C: partition every 2-3 months. That way you can restore things back if all else fails.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Good advice. It would save a lot of headaches if more people did this.

If windows restore worked properly we wouldn't need the backup but unfortunately it is windows restore after all. :)

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Too true :D

I don't trust Windows Restore as several times it has simply told me that it could not restore to a given point in time and even earlier restore points didn't work. :evil:

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
This is one reason I really like Linux. The philosophy behind the partitioning points to this kind of "separate partition" type of setup.