Would this make my games run faster?

Would it be faster to make one partition per game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I have NO idea!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

excessumcarcer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Basically, I had a random thought...and I can't find much information on the idea. What happens if I make my XP partition 40 gigs so I had room for programs, but then, for something like Oblivion, Id partition 8-10 gigs strictly for the game. Then Sims 2 id do like, 10 gigs strictly for sims 2. So...would that make the games run faster cause theres only a small area to search, or, is it a waste of time?

excessumcarcer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Well its not the graphics card, I have a good one...I just want faster. I have a 7900 Nvidia, it was just a random thought I had earlier.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
the change in perf. (if any at all) would be marginal.

P.S.: you say you want faster... there are better cards than 7900 now you know. (not that im saying that 7900 is history...)

excessumcarcer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Well...I just mean in all. Games and everything else. Like...since its on another partition, when I load things for XP, Xp loads faster...and since the game is alone it would load faster. It was just an idea.

And, I would get a new graphics card...but...the one I want is like 500$...and im not that insane. Ill wait till its like...200$, probably by the end of the month...lol...or so it seems to be like that.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
And, I would get a new graphics card...but...the one I want is like 500$...and im not that insane. Ill wait till its like...200$, probably by the end of the month...lol...or so it seems to be like that.

cool, that's a thought 8)

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Most probably it wont. Having the XP page file on a different physical HDD will improve things. What you could do is defrag your HDD.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
You might get slightly less fragmentation of files if each game sits on seperate partition but it's not worth the hassle. You will end up wasting lots of disk space.

Try overclocking your PC and/or graphics card

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I agree with Assman, any performance improvements by separate partitions would not be noticeable and is just a waste of time.
Best of luck.

Oblivix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
This will decrease your performance because you may have to re-allocate more memory to the partion if an update or bug fix comes along. This would also increase disk errors (but not fragmentation) because of the constant demand for multiple files from different headers on the HD and could cause increased heat amoung the HD. The best bet is if you wish to do something like this is to locate your Windows OS onto one drive and if you ever have to add more space to the partition use partition magic(i believe Microsoft is the publisher) to assist in the change. The second drive would be for other games and files you wish to alter.
BEWARE your default drive for favorites, downloads and other programs such as media players will still be default to the C drive as well as many primary windows updates and installation files. This will cause more errors if not maintained properly or monitored. This may decrease a risk of virii or spyware installing themselves onto the C drive if u put Windows onto another location but can also cause much confusion with the system.

G

Cou can install xp on a 10 gb partition, and ALL other stuff you want too install on another partition, that will make it really fast.