robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hey Guys, just wanted to know what you think about the below:

I got my PC built and running on Friday, everything was great until today. I was watchig the NFL draft when I noticed by PC was completely off, it was on downloading some stuff previously. So I go over, hit the on off switch, to see the fans come on for a split second and then go back off. So I started checking all connections and start unpluging things one by one. Same deal, PSU fan starts to spin then stops, PC completely dead. I take the PSU out, take it down to my other PC, plug in the 24 pin connector, hit power on the other PC, and same deal, PSU fan starts to spin but nothing happens. So at this point I assume the PSU is dead? It's baffling as I have had the PSU only 4 months. First time I used it, the fan did not work so I sent it for an RMA, now I use it for 2 days and it's dead...

EDIT:

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt2.html

We'll start off with testing the PSU's motherboard connector. First things first, unplug all the power connectors from your computer. Then, grab a piece of wire (we used a piece from a model train layout) and connect the green wire to the black wire next to it, as seen below. Once done sucessfully, flip the power switch on the back of the PSU and you should hear the fan start running.

I tried that and no go, freaking bad PSU.

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Ummm.. I'd check both of those computers that you put that PSU into ASAP. Same deal happened with the PSU I formally had, an ultra xconnect 500w.
It killed my mobo and videocard.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The one PC I tested it on still works... wish I had known it could have killed that PC, last time I try that. The wire test is much safer :lol:

I hope I it did not kill my current PC, that would suck, I ordered an OCZ 700 since I don't want to wait 2 weeks for an RMA. I should know on Wednesday if it did Fry anything else. What did you do in your case for the mobo and video card? Sounds like yours had some sort of surge, mine does not have any juice to do anything, even spins its own fan. Hopefully PSU's have some sort of fail safe built in (Protections: Over Current, Over Voltage, and Short-Circuit protection) <-- I am trying to make myself feel better and hope nothing else if ruined.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well it sounds like a psu problem to me.Especially since you tested it out on another working system and got the same results.So one wonders if you figured it out for your self,why would you ask for help when you already have your answer???Just to confirm maybe???Well no worries,your diagnosis is correct,get a new psu.Keep up the good work dude and goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Just in hopes (fools hope) it might be something I overlooked, this will be my 2nd RMA of this PSU... :evil:

I posted before I found the wire test, the wire test proves its the PSU. Building PC's is still new to me, I was not sure my previous test was valid (hooking up just the 24 pin connector and powering on).

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
In my case, I RMA'd my GPU and mobo (and in the course, got screwed by ABIT who gave me a lesser board :evil: ).
I was playing GRAW, and then my screen filled with all these random pixels.

Then, after a while, it would work for windows, but not 3d apps. Then one day, it did the same thing that yours did.

When I took my system apart, I saw that most of the mobo connections had been fried.
And it couldn't have been a surge, as this is hooked up to a reasonable surge protector.