Recording HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 3, 2004 7:00:36 AM

I read an article somehwere saying that your cable company is required to
give you a firewire capable HDTV box if you ask for one. And if you have a
firewire connection on your PC, you can record the HDTV stream. Is it true?
Anyone here using Time Warner and is currently using this method to record
HDTV?

More about : recording hdtv

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:35:24 AM

You need to cite something better than "an article somewhere." Most
cable companies aren't required to do much of anything.

Bill

"The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
I read an article somehwere saying that your cable company is required
give you a firewire capable HDTV box if you ask for one. And if you have
firewire connection on your PC, you can record the HDTV stream. Is it
true?
Anyone here using Time Warner and is currently using this method to
record
HDTV?
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:56:28 PM

"The One" <TheOne@MultiVerse.com> wrote in message
> I read an article somehwere saying that your cable company is required to
> give you a firewire capable HDTV box if you ask for one. And if you have a
> firewire connection on your PC, you can record the HDTV stream. Is it
true?
> Anyone here using Time Warner and is currently using this method to record
> HDTV?

The FCC did mandate a firewire output for anyone who asks for it from a
cable company, effective in April 2004, it is not clear if it has to be
activated and if premium programming is required to be available from the
firewire or only over the air channels. Please check out the AVS forums for
more info and how people are getting the firewire to work with the 5C
encryption flag.
http://www.avsforum.com/

Mike T
December 12, 2004 12:56:24 PM

Yes & No, have Time Warner & 2 of my 3 cable boxes have the fire wire,
but am not using my computer to record these braodcasts, though it
might be posible, I haven't tried it via computer. Instead JVC
manufactures D-VHS vcr's that accept the firewire input. (Probably a
couple other companies too), I have 2 of these, a JVC HM-DH3000U
& a HM-DH4000U (a couple new models recently hit the market also)
These do an excellect job of recording HDTV, no only do you get the
the hd picture, but also the surround sound. No other recording
devices I know of record the surround sound on save-able media
(not a hard drive which must be erased latter to make room for new
aquisitions, the surround sound can recorded from all channels that
carry it, not just the HD ones)

Got both of the above D-VHS VCRs for 359.00 us, one a close out floor
model from best buy, the other a factory refurb off the net, You
should easily be able to find one for under 500$. One of the new
models has a manufactures suggested price of 799$, so i guess it will
sell in the 500's, maybe better.

A couple tricks to be aware of with these:

1st: by agreement with the movie industry, the vcr's timers can not be
set to record from the firewire input, you have to be there to start a
recording, no timeshifting, the quick timer works..
...Solution, go to Radio Shack, buy a vcr programming remote (8.99$)
leave you vcr set to the firewire & use it to turn on the vcr & start
recordings when your not arround :) ... there are a number of other
devices, some which can be hooked up to computer to control all your
equipment.

2nd: There are special tapes, D-VHS, for these, they can be a little
pricey, they come in a 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 hr. lengths, this can be handy.
However the vcr recognizes these by a small hole on the bottom of the
tape similiar but on the oppisite side of the ones that let a vcr know
you have an S-VHS tape. You can easily drill a hole in an S-VHS tape
& voila, you have a D-VHS tape.

!