Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Cant get past SETUP screen when installing XP

Tags:
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 18, 2007 6:59:52 PM

MAJOR problem trying to install windows XP pro!

After rebooting I keep getting to the same screen... the "welcome to setup" screen, where I hit ENTER , F8 at the EULA, then I see the partition list...

At this point regardless of if I hit ENTER for the selected partition, or delete and recreate the partition (and reformat to NTFS), it loads files from CD, then reboots and takes me back to the same screen.

HELP!

More about : past setup screen installing

March 18, 2007 10:43:47 PM

I'd get the diagnostic/install software from the hard drive mfg and run it from a floppy. Possible there is a problem with your hdd.
March 19, 2007 2:48:51 AM

Fixed this. I noticed that when booting, the harddrive wasnt immediately recognized during POST, so when I changed the jumper on the hardrive from "master" to "single", it worked. Strange. Thanks.
Related resources
March 19, 2007 5:52:06 AM

im currently having the same problem that you were how it reboots after format and says it'll continue after reboot but does the same steps... im not sure what it is i can do.. what did you mean when u put it on single?.. and can it be that the hard drive is old the one i was tryna install windows on was (2001) . but yeah help would be appreciated.. thanks
March 19, 2007 11:05:00 AM

Quote:
im currently having the same problem that you were how it reboots after format and says it'll continue after reboot but does the same steps... im not sure what it is i can do.. what did you mean when u put it on single?.. and can it be that the hard drive is old the one i was tryna install windows on was (2001) . but yeah help would be appreciated.. thanks

Redss, glad you figured it out, I didn't even think about jumper settings.

Minizzle, if you have a PATA drive, one with a wide data cable as opposed to a SATA drive, on the back of the drive there are sets of pins with a little piece of plastic over 2 of them. The settings are Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Move the plastic from the Cable Select pins to the Master pins. If you have 2 PATA drives, set the 2nd to Slave. If you have 2 drives, I'd disconnect the Slave or storage drive until after Windows is installed. If that doesn't do it, run the diagnostic software mentioned above
March 19, 2007 1:48:19 PM

To elaborate on the problem I was having, I do not recall if the harddrive was recognized on the POST startup screen, but I don't know how I could have been able to get as far as I did if it hadn't been recognized, because I was able to re-partition the drive and copy files to the drive.

At any rate, in my troubleshooting I reached a point where I noticed that the harddrive was not recognized upon startup. My drive is a 40 Gb Western Digital drive, and I would expect the "master" jumper settings to work, but there was also the "single" setting which is not found on all harddrive settings... I guess in my case "master" implies that there is another harddrive also on the IDE bus, so "single" worked.
March 19, 2007 11:17:59 PM

hmm well i actually tried booting two different drives but the same problem occurs.. one drive is a maxtor and as you were saying during post it wasnt there, but went it booted XP that drive was picked up and i went through the initial setup ( formatting, copying files, etc) then it reboots and does the same thing... But the other drive a an IBM deskstar did get picked up in the POST but does the same with the setup.. When I booted i put them on master. never really thought that the pins could play a role in this .. but as reds resolved the problem with the pins where do i move em.. i dont see where it says single on either drive..only master, slave,cable select, cylinder limit.. or forcing dev .. but yeah i'm not sure which position to place the jumper.
March 20, 2007 8:39:50 AM

its not just the jumper. You have to be careful with the cable too. Blue goes to the motherboard, Black to the master and grey to the slave (if you have 2 ide devices on one cable).

If it is a single drive what I normally do is fix the cable as I have stated above and set the drive to cable select mode. If that doesn't work you can manually select the mode that the HDD should run in. (master/slave)

something gives me the feeling the top guy in IBM's HDD lab is a s/m fan 8O
!