Sign in with
Your question

HELP! PC Won't Boot!

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2007 6:37:14 PM

Building a new computer, can get into BIOS fine w/ just CPU, RAM, and using onboard video.

When I plug in my hard drive, I get:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DIST AND PRESS ENTER

What does this mean??

Motherboard: ECS GeForce6100SM-M Motherboard
Hard Drive: IBM DeskStar 41.0GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA 3.5" IDE Hard Drive - Model # IC35L040AVER07-0

More about : boot

April 29, 2007 8:52:29 PM

Quote:
Building a new computer, can get into BIOS fine w/ just CPU, RAM, and using onboard video.

When I plug in my hard drive, I get:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DIST AND PRESS ENTER

What does this mean??

Motherboard: ECS GeForce6100SM-M Motherboard
Hard Drive: IBM DeskStar 41.0GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA 3.5" IDE Hard Drive - Model # IC35L040AVER07-0

My experience is this problem occurs because of RAM incompatibility or RAM failure. Try different RAM or you might try one DIMM in slot 1 and see if that makes any difference. I would use different RAM.
April 29, 2007 9:33:24 PM

Is it a brand new HDD or a used one? if its used has it been used ina RAID array previously?
It dont sound like a RAM problem to me, maybe a problem with the boot sector of the HDD.
Have you tried installing windows/other OS yet?
Related resources
April 29, 2007 9:37:10 PM

It sounds like you are trying to boot from hard drive that already had windows installed on it. If so you should do a clean install of windows on it. Make sure to set the first boot device in the bios as the dvd/cd drive. Then boot from the windows disk and install windows.
April 29, 2007 10:13:30 PM

Is there an OS on this drive at all?
Is it set as Master?
I know the questions sounds silly but you said this is a new build.
April 29, 2007 10:42:58 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you are trying to boot from hard drive that already had windows installed on it. If so you should do a clean install of windows on it. Make sure to set the first boot device in the bios as the dvd/cd drive. Then boot from the windows disk and install windows.

Yep, it was someone's old hard drive.

Weird this was I was trying to do a non-quick reformat and it got to about 10%... in 4 hours...

When I came home, I just rebooted and then did a quick format. Format done in about 5 seconds, haha.

It's booted into Windows now, and looks like it's all good.

Now I know what that error message is for the future hehe.

Thanks guys
!