Lian Li PC-B20, 101, A10, or V1000/plus/V1100 series.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have an old variant of the PC-60 cases. I actually forgot the exact model but it's rare. I plan on upgrading (core 2 duo system, with 8800 or whatever card ATI has available in a month in the X2900 series. I plan on getting mininum 2 GB of RAM. I already got Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit edition, also have XP 64 bit edition, and regular XP Professional.

So which case.

Lian li PC-101 is relatively new, has 3 120 mmm fan plus the VGA cooler, has a bit of anti-vibration and shock absorption, but it no where near what the silent V1100 or the new B20 has. Due to the comparmentalize system, it appears that all GPU will Fit without a problem. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article632-page1.html

Lian li PC-B20 is also new, has 1 120mm fan, and 1 80mm fan (should have been another 120 when you see the size of the back and the unused space, i'm afraid, Lian li will have a plus version later on with the 120mm fan). It also has the VGA cooler system. It has LOADS of shock absorption, antivibration, and anti-shock/sound dampers all over the place. It does NOT use the compartmentalize system of separating PSU, HD, and main sytem apart from each other. BUT it is also a bit deeper than the PC-101 so it appears that even the 8800 GTX will fit. http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/lian-li-pc-b20/

Lian Li PC-A10. Big case, with support for 2 PSUs (I have no need for that really, It does compartmentalize the parts. It has holes for water cooling. it has 4 120mm fans, has the antivibration and sound dampers of the B20 (maybe a bit less though, but more than the PC-101). Like i said, it is big, it's both Tall (but below the point of being a full tower, and it is also deep but not to the point of support for 12x13 E-ATX MBs. http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cases/Lian_Li_PC-A10/index.htm

Lian Li PC-V1000/plusII/V1100 and it's variants. They are the one with the wheels. With the wheels it is about as tall as a B20, it's actually not that tall, but the wheels make it about as tall as the PC-101. without the wheels it's about as tall as the B20. It is deep though so there shouldn't be an issue with. In fact, with these compartmentalize cases, the main issue is whether larger power supplies would fit. This case, especially the perforated one, is design for cooling, with silence being secondary. It does use 120mm fans so it attempts to be as quiet as it can. The case has anywhere between 2 120mm fan or 3 120mm fan depending on the model ie... (regular v1000 uses two, the plus II uses 3). They all also have that VGA cooling system which adds another fan. The V1100 version is meant to be a silent case and has similar silence technology as the B20 (maybe slightly less). http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/200/1/

Well, so each have a link associated with them so you guys can help me out a bit. What would you guys choose and why. If you have one of these cases, especially the new ones the A10, B20, and Pc-101 your testemonials would be really appreciated as it's harder to find testemonial/pictures on the web. Thanks in advance.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I have an A10.

Its a nice case but I can't fit the top 120mm fan with my evga 680i mobo and arctic cooling freezer 7. Also, only 5 hard drive spaces is kinda low for lian li.

The 8800 fits fine, but watch your cable lengths on your power supply.
My 700w fortron psu didn't have the 8 pin cable length to reach the mobo 8 pin at the top of the mobo in this orientation...and those are hard to find extensions for.

All in all I like the case, it has everything I need. The problem is it generally doesn't have everything I want. I have 5 hard drives, but would like another slot to expand my raid 5. I like the number of 120mm fans and the grommeted mounting for most things in the case...but most of the fans don't push that much air due to the fan grills they use.

If you ever plan to go water cooling, you mind find things a bit cramped. Recently I've been wanting to go that route with a custom system, but trying to make space with 5 hds, an 8800 and more is extremely tough. One of the only options I have are those CoolIt Freezone cooler. That only covers cpu though, and I'd again be stuck with 0 expandability.

Again to sum it up...it has so many things that you need, but almost nothing you want.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Thank you for your response.

I don't think I'll have a need for water cooling, but who knows, it's a plus that it has it. I also don't have a need for 5 hard drives. I'm fine with 2 or 3. Plus, I think most of the other cases max out around 5 hard drives, some might require you to sacrifice your Floppy in order to reach 5 like the B20.

Any other response from people that own one of the others. Siba, would recommend the A10 over the others??

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
At this point its hard for me to recommend any of the ones you have listed. Lian Li has a good track record publicly, but in my opinion their use of mesh grills is seriously lacking. I'm also very picky when it comes to choosing a case. It's the little things that make a case.

While you say you won't need it...you'll be wishing you had it in the eventually when you do decide to expand. The modular designs lian li has been coming up with these past months doesn't suit me. Go with something with more space and better airflow that isn't restricted by ridiculously small wire mesh or 90 degree turns like on the vga cooler(which is also very, very restricted due to the pinhole intake). I'd recommend a TT armor/kandalf or an antec 900.

Edit: this is one of those times when its better to go simple, instead of just springing for a high end brand name

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Again, i'm not here for any turf wars but I think both of the ones you mentioned are ugly. I like practicallity but I also like looks. But again, it's an opinion. Second thing, and it has to do with the first, I hate Steel cases. I only like Aluminum. If there would be a fifth option, it would be the silverstone Temjin T109 (something to that nature). It has 2mm of Aluminum, it looks good, and it's very practical with cooling and such. In general, I prefer Lian li because they served me well in the past. But if you can find a good antc or thermaltake aluminum case, then I'll be open to it.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I love the looks and expandability of the Coolermaster Stackers. Solid alum. and built like a friggin' tank.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119121

Edit: I meant to add, I have a modded V1000 Plus. I like it a lot, though I don't think I'd pay for another in the future. The PSU bay is really crammed, cable management is a pain. Some Modular PSU's won't work because of the way it's designed. The inverted motherboard can be a pain. It's a good, solid, well-engineered case, but not my favorite.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
In general, I prefer Lian li because they served me well in the past. But if you can find a good antc or thermaltake aluminum case, then I'll be open to it.

I was the same way, which is why I spent the money on the A10. But I've found that the quality has gone down, even if slightly. Sure the case has everything I need, but there are so many small things where the design could be better, ventilation being one of them. Also, the top thumbscrews for the sidepanels on my A10 have a tendency to catch on clothing when I move it around. Highly annoying. The old PC-75 also had better design on the side panels. While the A10 are essentially the same, they don't have the "lip" that makes it flush with the top of the case that the PC-75 does. That makes it so that there is a gap right at the top where the sidepanel meets the top. It's unsightly to me. The cases have also become unncessarily complicated and fairly cramped. Once you get everything in it's fine, but doing so can be difficult. There just isn't that much space to work around with all the new gadgets they stick in the cases.

As far as looks go, the CM stackers are overstated in my opinion. Yes, they are big. Anyone can see that by looking at it in real life. But the look also screams "BIG", which just goes overboard as far as I'm concerned.

And you are right, the TT armor and Antec 900 don't have the elegance that most of the Lian Li cases do. Believe me, if I could get a case that had the looks of a new lian li case, the build quality of an old lian li case, the practicality of an antec, and the cooling of a thermaltake I'd jump on it as soon as I found out. In the end I guess it really comes down to what you want more, a sports car that looks decent, or a mid range car that looks like an exotic. I've done plenty of looking around for my own case, and I can't seem to find any case that doesn't have a tradeoff in that respect.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
if all lian-li cases are as nice as the pc70 that i have, its gonna be really hard for me to buy any other case in the future. super light with great fit-and-finish (with the possible exception of those annoying plastic "feet", i really gotta replace those with wheels)... and it doesn't hurt that even after filling the 6 5.25 externals, 3 3.5 externals, and 6 internal bays, i could still park my car inside of it.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
if all lian-li cases are as nice as the pc70 that i have, its gonna be really hard for me to buy any other case in the future. super light with great fit-and-finish (with the possible exception of those annoying plastic "feet", i really gotta replace those with wheels)... and it doesn't hurt that even after filling the 6 5.25 externals, 3 3.5 externals, and 6 internal bays, i could still park my car inside of it.

I had a problem with those feet too, I broke one of them while rotating the entire case around on one foot. It just snapped. The problem is, the new cases aren't really as "polished" in functionality as the old pc70/75 series.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
The CM stackers is aluminum, but I don't like the design. I like a Plain but elegant case. But don't really like radical designs. I'm not even big on those side windows but I can make acception. Like I said, those Silverstone T107/109 type of plain aluminum cases that are very functional, very elegant, very practical is what I like.

I guess the opposite of that would be Thermaltake. They usually have cases that are great for cooling but have very radical designs, or have like skeletons or faces, or alien type of weired shapes and designs on the front, side, and back of the case. I prefer a silver case, but some very good brush aluminum black cases, like the B20B would be acceptable. PC-70 was good, and something simple like that I like, BUT, I don't like Full towers. They are just too big for me. The very large A10s are my limit, or the even deeper V1200s is a maybe, So no V2000s. I also don't like small cases like the G600. basically the little brother of the V1000, they are just too small. If i'm gonna get a small case, I might as well go for an HTPC case instead.

Again, Thanks for all your responses.

krynn73

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Well, I currently own a Lian Li V1000 PlusII and I simply love it. It is nearly perfect case (at lease for my taste) except for its lack of removable mobo tray. It looks classy, installation was relatively easy and keeps my hardware cool. If a PSU (hence the fit and the length of cables) is a cause for your concern, I can make a suggestion for you to go with a corsair HX520 or 620 (I have HX620), top-notch PSUs made by Seasonic. Either one fits this case like a glove, and both come with cables long enough to reach any part inside the case. Plus the fact that those PSUs are modular makes cable management relatively easy.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Just so you guys know, I have the OCZ modstream 520W power supply. I plan on getting a good graphic card, either the 8800GTS 320 or ATI's answer in the same price point. Which ever is faster. At this point, I don't have a plan to increase the wattage, unless there is an issue with requirements from the graphic card. BUT technically, 520Watts Should be enough for my system. Also, I'm hoping there is no issue as far as Power supplies fitting in one of those compartmentalized cases. I've read reviews where the V1000 had some power supply issues. and if it does, then I assume the PC-101 also has the same potential problem.

Thanks.

Tony08

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Well, I currently own a Lian Li V1000 PlusII and I simply love it. It is nearly perfect case (at lease for my taste) except for its lack of removable mobo tray. It looks classy, installation was relatively easy and keeps my hardware cool. If a PSU (hence the fit and the length of cables) is a cause for your concern, I can make a suggestion for you to go with a corsair HX520 or 620 (I have HX620), top-notch PSUs made by Seasonic. Either one fits this case like a glove, and both come with cables long enough to reach any part inside the case. Plus the fact that those PSUs are modular makes cable management relatively easy.

Krynn73, I have decided on getting the case you have and was also looking at the same PSU you have the corsair 520. But the pictures on newegg shows the fan is on the bottom of the psu(correct me if i am wrong), so you invert the PSU, but is there enough clearance in the PSU bay for the fan to be pointing up? Is there enough good flow for the fan because of tis close proximity to the metal?
Thanks in advance!

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
There's a little tab that supports the PSU, and the bottom is a grille so it can breathe. I use a 700W OCZ myself, and it works fine, it's just stowing the cables is a pain because it's non-modular. I'd be very careful with modular PSU's and this case, installation could be impossible in some cases.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
There's a little tab that supports the PSU, and the bottom is a grille so it can breathe. I use a 700W OCZ myself, and it works fine, it's just stowing the cables is a pain because it's non-modular. I'd be very careful with modular PSU's and this case, installation could be impossible in some cases.

I'm assuming your 700W OCZ is also modular and there is a tab that supports it right???

Anyway, the update so far, I posted this also on another forum and I'm getting PC-101 and the V1000 series as the most likeliest of choices. I'll be honest, before I even researched, it was going to be the V1000 plus II, but then I saw the great reviews of the B20 and from there I also looked up the other two.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
No, it's not modular, it's just conventional. I have the excess wires stored in the HDD compartment, luckily I only have 3 HDDs so it's not an issue. Is that what you were asking? The V1000 plus is a really good case, you should be happy with it.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
What do you guys think about the Gigabyte Aurora 570. I'm a bit more open to some other companies now that I've been at this for a few days now.

The Silver Aurora with the blue lights, seems to be a nice elegant case that is large, tons of space and cooling, and also has pretty good reviews.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Lol I've been trying to decide on new case for about 5 days now and have gotten a lot of help from here. I'm still undecided on either the Antec P182 vs the Gigabyte Aurora 570.

I like the cable management of the Antec but the downside is that it is heavy and kind of a tight fit so I've heard.

What I like about the Gigabyte is the roomy interior and how lightweight it is for it's size.

I hate that I am so indecisive....back to looking at more reviews....

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
My thoughts on the antec P1xx series - none of them really picqued my interest, since they were pretty much all made of steel. Too heavy, in my opinion. Spacewise, I have seen a P180 and its every bit as "cramped" as the Lian li a10. It has the space for what you need, but not much else. It has basically the same compartmentalized design. The 182 and 190 revisions had absolutely no major changes as far as I saw.

cwilliams255

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I have a v1000b and absolutely love it. I run one low speed 12cm exhaust fan and the rest is passively water cooled (zalman reserator). It runs quite hot but the perforated chasis on the v1000b and the high conduction of aluminium means i run my system virually silent.

Dont think i will ever stray from Lian-Li cases. My last 2 have been and my next 2 will be

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I have a v1000b and absolutely love it. I run one low speed 12cm exhaust fan and the rest is passively water cooled (zalman reserator). It runs quite hot but the perforated chasis on the v1000b and the high conduction of aluminium means i run my system virually silent.

Dont think i will ever stray from Lian-Li cases. My last 2 have been and my next 2 will be

What does the perforation have to do with your case running silent. Most reviews and some common sense would say that all these holes will allow vibration to leave the case and thus, become louder. Usually the trade off is that your case runs cooler because more hot air is allowed to leave.

ASame goes with Aluminum, you mention that it makes your case run virtually silent. Theoretically, Aluminum would make your case disipate heat quicker than the steel and plastic cases. Sound wise, I'm not sure how it woudl affect it. But since Aluminum is less dense and often thin, there is a higher chance that your case would rattle or resonate with aluminum and thus give the opposite effect.

I woudl assume, that what is making your case become virtually silent is due to the passive water cooling and the use of just 1 Fan and at low speed is the reason it is silent.

Anyways, the update for me is that, I've dropped the B20 as an option.

It is now A10. PC-101, and V1000 series as the front runners. With the Silverstone TJ-109 (big case), and the Gigabyte Aurora 570 as the wild cards.

Edit: You know what, the more I read it, the more I understand what he's trying to convey. Basically, because Aluminum cases have a high heat conductivity (theoretically), and because his case is perforated, he is already getting a lot of heat loss from inside. Combine that with a water cooling kit that is passively cooled, that is even less noise. and since he is getting good heat loss, it allows him to run his one and only fan at low speed. The only drawback would be that, his case probably needs a second fan or somethign because he admit that it is hot in there.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Small perforation makes for very restricted airflow. Restricted airflow causes turbulence, and turbulence causes more noise. It's generally not so bad in some cases, where the perforated areas are very large compared to the amount blocked by the borders (high ratio of open space vs metal). Antec has a few cases where they use a grill such as that, and they allow plenty of airflow with minimal restriction. Lian li cases, however, seem to use either (estimated) 1/8" drilled holes with a low ratio of hole coverage : metal coverage, or they use a very fine mesh grill; both of these scenarios are horribly restrictive, and therefore noisy if you try for high airflow.

totaldarknessincar

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
i'm liking the gigabyte aurora 570 more and more for both design, it's alluminum, has good airflow. It is big, but about the size of the A10. Anyone has side by side screens of A10, gigabyte, pc101 and so on. thanks.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I myself have the Silverstone TJ09 case it might not be all fancy and decked out with compartments but I don't have any trouble with it and I think it looks cool. I have the EVGA 680I motherboard with an E6600 OC'd to 3.5 on a Tuniq Tower. I also have an EVGA 8800GTX at stock. I replaced the case fans with 5 Silverstone FM121's which keeps my case rather cool albeit loud but that's why I have the fan controller which I must say is pretty nice on low with the FM121. I'm thinking of changing out the tuniq fan for another FM121 although that will be later then sooner. All and all it's a good case it's a bit on the tight side if water cooling is your thing but if it's not it's a great case.