Dropping things

I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into a
condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and functions
of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because of
missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
prior to Microsoft taking them over.

My question is:
Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict with
Giant Antispyware?
I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the computer
from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy of
WindowsXP

Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like a
software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
application do not like each other.

"luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
functions
> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because of
> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
>
> My question is:
> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
with
> Giant Antispyware?
> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the computer
> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy of
> WindowsXP

Yes I have reinstalled Norton and part of the trouble cleared up. Found an
advisory on this bullitin board for restoring system files run> and type
CMD, hit enter (brings up a dos prompt) then type:SFC/SCANNOW Put windows XP
in CD drive and damaged or missing system files are restored.

Thankyou for your responce
LJO

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like
> software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
> application do not like each other.
>
> "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
>> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
>> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
>> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
>> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
> functions
>> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
>> of
>> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
>> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
>>
>> My question is:
>> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
> with
>> Giant Antispyware?
>> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
>> computer
>> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
>> of
>> WindowsXP

Hi, Kevin.

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows XP Pro SP2, fully
updated - including Microsoft AntiSpyware, the current version of what was
formerly Giant AntiSpyware. I see NO conflicts between NIS and MSAS.

I don't know what is causing luckeyo's problems, but I doubt it is a
conflict between NIS and MSAS.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like
> software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
> application do not like each other.
>
> "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
>> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
>> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
>> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
>> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
> functions
>> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
>> of
>> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
>> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
>>
>> My question is:
>> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
> with
>> Giant Antispyware?
>> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
>> computer
>> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
>> of
>> WindowsXP

Luckeyo makes no mention of SP 2, so I wonder if there could be a problem
there? He does mention a reinstall of Norton helped somewhat. Could be a
bad installation of Norton from the get go?

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Kevin.
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows XP Pro SP2, fully
> updated - including Microsoft AntiSpyware, the current version of what was
> formerly Giant AntiSpyware. I see NO conflicts between NIS and MSAS.
>
> I don't know what is causing luckeyo's problems, but I doubt it is a
> conflict between NIS and MSAS.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds
like
> > software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
> > application do not like each other.
> >
> > "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
> >> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran
into
> >> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio
7
> >> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
> >> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen
and
> >> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
> > functions
> >> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
> >> of
> >> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a
license
> >> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
> >>
> >> My question is:
> >> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
> > with
> >> Giant Antispyware?
> >> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
> >> computer
> >> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
> >> of
> >> WindowsXP

Hi, Kevin.

Well, there are a lot of things that Luckeyo didn't mention. :>( Like
WHICH "programs failed to run properly", HOW they failed, whether they ever
ran properly before Norton was installed.... and a lot more info.

My comment was directed just to YOUR comment that there might be a conflict
between NIS and WinXP. I should add that I used earlier versions of NIS
with both the "gold" and SP1 versions of WinXP. I think that the NIS/WinXP
conflict suggestion is a bum steer.

I hope Luckeyo comes back with enough specifics about the problem that we
have a chance to help, rather than just make some wild guesses. We might
lash out in all directions as Luckeyo already has done: Roxio? Norton?
Giant? Any other possible culprits that might come to mind?

The starting point, of course, is the store where he/she bought the computer
and "almost immediately" had the problem. From there, check all the
software that was installed between "bought" and "almost immediately".

Luckeyo, if you have found and fixed the problem, could you please tell us
what you learned?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA