Dropping things

I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into a
condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and functions
of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because of
missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
prior to Microsoft taking them over.

My question is:
Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict with
Giant Antispyware?
I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the computer
from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy of
WindowsXP
5 answers Last reply
More about dropping things

    Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like a
    software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
    application do not like each other.

    "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
    > condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
    > multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
    > video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
    > then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
    functions
    > of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because of
    > missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
    > prior to Microsoft taking them over.
    >
    > My question is:
    > Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
    with
    > Giant Antispyware?
    > I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the computer
    > from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy of
    > WindowsXP

    Yes I have reinstalled Norton and part of the trouble cleared up. Found an
    advisory on this bullitin board for restoring system files run> and type
    CMD, hit enter (brings up a dos prompt) then type:SFC/SCANNOW Put windows XP
    in CD drive and damaged or missing system files are restored.

    Thankyou for your responce
    LJO

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like
    > software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
    > application do not like each other.
    >
    > "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
    >> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
    >> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
    >> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
    >> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
    > functions
    >> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
    >> of
    >> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
    >> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
    >>
    >> My question is:
    >> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
    > with
    >> Giant Antispyware?
    >> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
    >> computer
    >> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
    >> of
    >> WindowsXP

    Hi, Kevin.

    I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows XP Pro SP2, fully
    updated - including Microsoft AntiSpyware, the current version of what was
    formerly Giant AntiSpyware. I see NO conflicts between NIS and MSAS.

    I don't know what is causing luckeyo's problems, but I doubt it is a
    conflict between NIS and MSAS.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds like
    > software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
    > application do not like each other.
    >
    > "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran into
    >> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio 7
    >> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
    >> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen and
    >> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
    > functions
    >> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
    >> of
    >> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a license
    >> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
    >>
    >> My question is:
    >> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
    > with
    >> Giant Antispyware?
    >> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
    >> computer
    >> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
    >> of
    >> WindowsXP

    Luckeyo makes no mention of SP 2, so I wonder if there could be a problem
    there? He does mention a reinstall of Norton helped somewhat. Could be a
    bad installation of Norton from the get go?

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Kevin.
    >
    > I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows XP Pro SP2, fully
    > updated - including Microsoft AntiSpyware, the current version of what was
    > formerly Giant AntiSpyware. I see NO conflicts between NIS and MSAS.
    >
    > I don't know what is causing luckeyo's problems, but I doubt it is a
    > conflict between NIS and MSAS.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds
    like
    > > software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
    > > application do not like each other.
    > >
    > > "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
    > >> I bought a computer a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately ran
    into
    > >> condition where programs failed to run properly. I have a copy of Roxio
    7
    > >> multimedia and the thing that hapened is that on two of the menus, edit
    > >> video and capture video, they would come up and appear on the screen
    and
    > >> then just dissapear. Shortcuts disappeared on the system tray and
    > > functions
    > >> of Norton System works and the program could not be uninstalled because
    > >> of
    > >> missing files. I have Giant AntiSpyware installed and purchased a
    license
    > >> prior to Microsoft taking them over.
    > >>
    > >> My question is:
    > >> Is this more a function of hardware or software, WindowsXP, a conflict
    > > with
    > >> Giant Antispyware?
    > >> I have brought this to the attention of the store I purchased the
    > >> computer
    > >> from. Should I seek a replacement computer or just get a different copy
    > >> of
    > >> WindowsXP

    Hi, Kevin.

    Well, there are a lot of things that Luckeyo didn't mention. :>( Like
    WHICH "programs failed to run properly", HOW they failed, whether they ever
    ran properly before Norton was installed.... and a lot more info.

    My comment was directed just to YOUR comment that there might be a conflict
    between NIS and WinXP. I should add that I used earlier versions of NIS
    with both the "gold" and SP1 versions of WinXP. I think that the NIS/WinXP
    conflict suggestion is a bum steer.

    I hope Luckeyo comes back with enough specifics about the problem that we
    have a chance to help, rather than just make some wild guesses. We might
    lash out in all directions as Luckeyo already has done: Roxio? Norton?
    Giant? Any other possible culprits that might come to mind?

    The starting point, of course, is the store where he/she bought the computer
    and "almost immediately" had the problem. From there, check all the
    software that was installed between "bought" and "almost immediately".

    Luckeyo, if you have found and fixed the problem, could you please tell us
    what you learned?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > Luckeyo makes no mention of SP 2, so I wonder if there could be a problem
    > there? He does mention a reinstall of Norton helped somewhat. Could be a
    > bad installation of Norton from the get go?
    >
    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Kevin.
    >>
    >> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows XP Pro SP2, fully
    >> updated - including Microsoft AntiSpyware, the current version of what
    >> was
    >> formerly Giant AntiSpyware. I see NO conflicts between NIS and MSAS.
    >>
    >> I don't know what is causing luckeyo's problems, but I doubt it is a
    >> conflict between NIS and MSAS.
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >> rc@corridor.net
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>
    >> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Have you tried uninstalling all the Norton applications? This sounds
    > like
    >> > software conflict to me. Most likely Norton and your Giant AntiSpyware
    >> > application do not like each other.
    >> >
    >> > "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
    > into
    > 7