Banusflakes

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
This past week my laptop started going nuts and I think I may have picked up a virus. Here's what is happening:

The system mute check box on the master volume control toggles mute on and off constantly. Input from me has no effect whatsoever. Task manager shows no suspect operations that I can see and nothing seems to help in stopping it from happening. Symantec AV removed a trojan, but that did not stop the madness.

My comp is a Toshiba U205-5002 running a fully updated version of WinXP SP2. Thanks in advance.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Avast finds nothing. Anyone heard of a virus that does this?

To be honest this is the first time I'm hearing about such symptoms. Maybe symatic while removing the trojan screwed something up in you system (As I said earlier it is know to cause problems)?

Try installing a firewall and adware/spyware detection software.

Another thing you could try is to reinstall the drivers for your hardware.
If all else fails and the symptoms really bug you a reinstall might be the only way to solve your problem :(

Banusflakes

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice - I tried uninstalling the hardware. That at least solves the problem in terms of having the icon constantly popping up but it leaves me with no sound. I tried downloading new drivers and the as soon as I reinstall the hardware the problem resumes. This leads me to believe that it might actually be some kind of hardware failure. I am going to try Toshiba Customer Support to see if they can help diagnose. Thanks again for the help.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Does your laptop have a mute button that might be stuck?? I know that some of the newer Toshiba laptops have volume buttons near the display. Just a thought.
Best of luck.

G

I had the same problem with my desktop this morning....a large purple "mute" icon moving up and down on the screen. I thought I had a virus...but then I discovered that I had accidentally hit the mute button my monitor's remote control. Problem solved!

Tachyon1109

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I had a client with this same issue. He bought a Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse combo and installed it. He didn't like it so he uninstalled the program. The problem started then. After an hour of browsing the Internet, I finally figured it out. We went to Control Panel>Sound/Audio there was a drop-down box in the devices. There were two devices in the drop-down lost. I chose the other device and it fixed the issue. I assume the install/uninstall of the keyboard/mouse was responsible. Anyways, hope this helps. - Tachyon1109