Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SuperFetch & Ready Boost

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 20, 2007 4:17:44 PM

OK, I recently picked up a 1gb usb stick to test these new features. But I wanted to ask you guys, are they two technologies interlocking or do they function completely independent of each other? I've been trying to read as much as I can about them and have read some conflicting reports. ATM my best understanding is that SuperFetch pulls commonly used programs into the pagefile, and if ready boost is enabled it pulls those apps out of the pagefile on the hard drive and put it onto some type of flash. Am I right or wrong? Would love the info if anyone has go it!

Ari

More about : superfetch ready boost

March 25, 2007 8:47:22 PM

Quote:
OK, I recently picked up a 1gb usb stick to test these new features. But I wanted to ask you guys, are they two technologies interlocking or do they function completely independent of each other? I've been trying to read as much as I can about them and have read some conflicting reports. ATM my best understanding is that SuperFetch pulls commonly used programs into the pagefile, and if ready boost is enabled it pulls those apps out of the pagefile on the hard drive and put it onto some type of flash. Am I right or wrong? Would love the info if anyone has go it!

Ari

You are essentially correct. Here is another good article about the two, totally relative to what you are stating (from the horses mouth):

Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2
April 12, 2007 9:22:20 PM

I spent the morning installing Vista Home Premium for a customer today. It worked well even though he had a modest system. I previously built him a Giabyte Nforce 3 AMD 3700+ with 1 GB RAM and ATI 9550 Video Card. The 9550 Just Squeeked by for Vista but it did do DX9. I upgraded him to 2- 1GB G.Skills PC3200 and a 200 GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 Serial Drive. We did a clean install on the 200 GB Drive and he can elect to boot to the old hard drive & XP System by changing the boot priority in BIOS. It worked out pretty well for some reason the image was moved over about two inches to the left, leaving a black unused band on the right side of the monitor. I fixed it by changing the monitor in display properties.

He had a few flash drives laying around so I told him about Superfetch & Ready Boost. I put an old 256 MB Kenington Flash Drive in the Rear USB Port. A dialog box appeared asking if I wanted to look at the contents of the drive or Speed up the Performance of the system. I chose the Later and it brought up another window explaining that the Flash Drive lacked the speed necessary to help. I removed it and used a 1GB USB Flash drive he owned. Again the 1st Dialog box I choose speedup system it liked this one but said it would only use 640 MB of the Drive. I thought Cool but after rebooting the system it hung and would not reboot untill I removed the Flash Drive.

I spent three hours All together to download Catalyst Driver and NAV 07 Plus Windows Updates Vista had to Partition the Drive But I didn't notice it takeing the usuall time to Format a new 200 GB Drive.
April 13, 2007 2:07:27 AM

I thought Cool but after rebooting the system it hung and would not reboot untill I removed the Flash Drive.

you need to go into the bios and set it to boot from hdd (motherboard probly been to smart for its own good and setting the USB disk as the fist boot disk, Asus type of Bios do this some times)
!