Different OS in one PC

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It's been years since I've run more than one OS. What you'll have to do is have a partition for each OS and a 4th for your data. Not certain but I believe Windows has to be on the first partition. Partition Magic comes with a program called Boot Magic or something like that and would probably be a good investment for partitioning, let's you partition for Windows or Linux, and Boot Magic will allow you to manage the booting.

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
just use partition magic to create a partition for each OS, leaving Windows on the existing partition (C:), and create a partition to store your data on so that you will not lose all the data when reformatting, etc.

For example
20 GB partition C:\ Windows
20 GB OS
20 GB OS
and then depending on large your HD is, the rest for data.

This will allow you to boot between each OS at start up and access all of your data, plus speed up defragging, backups, etc.

As someone mentioned before, do a search for dual booting and you can see lots of examples of people doing it with XP and Vista, but it is the same process.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
There are a lot references online for a dual boot system. However I'm looking for a multiple dual boot system consists of three different operating systems (Linux, WIndos and Solaris).

Given you'll have 3 OSs you might want to consider a separate hard drive for your data just in case something happens to the drive with the OSs on it and you would have to format. Agree with jbac6511 that it would make sense to get Partition Magic, not only will Boot Magic make it easy to manage booting but PM will make it easy to create and resize partitions. I would recommend the partition with Windows, at least if you're putting your Windows programs on the same partition, be at least 30GB to 35GB. If you decide to use PM, making each partition larger than you think you need will allow you to resize if necessary.