connection sharing configuration problem

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I have a older belkin 3 port wireless router that I would like to use as a simple switch.

Upstairs I have a linksys router with four ports and a 4 port switch that branches off to the basement. This network works fine. My problem is that I want to plug in the above belkin router into one of the jacks in the basement which is running off the switch, and have the ip address pass through it so that I can see all the other computers that are connected to the wireless router and switch upstairs. What settings do i need to change in the router to have it stop assigning its own ip addresses. I want to let the upstairs linksys router do that. I have already disabled the dhcp server and the NAT in an attempt to make this work. I am somewhat of a novice at configuring complicated networks (more than one router involved) so any help would be appreciated.

I can get the internet to work, just not the computer to computer connections.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
the cable from the switch comes out as a jack in the basement. That jack is where I am plugging in the cable to the router i am having problems with. I have also tried both standard and crossover cables. the internet only works when I plug it into the WAN port. If I plug it into the regular ports, I get nothing - with either cable :(

sturm

Splendid
I have already disabled the dhcp server and the NAT in an attempt to make this work
Which router did you do this on? You should turn it off on the one you want as a switch and leave it on on the main router.
Do both routers use the same ip range? IE: 192,168.0.X or 192.168.1.X
If not then thats why you cant see the other computers but can get internet.
Try setting the non-working computer with a static IP in the range of the rest of the network. Set the subnet, gateway and dns ips just like the other computers.
If this doesnt work through the 2nd routers wan port, try it directly into the switch port again.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
both routers do not have the same ip range. But, with the dhcp server off, should this even matter? I thought that was what assigned the ip addresess.