Sign in with
Your question

Fresh install and I can't get rid of this ADWARE

Tags:
  • Ethernet Card
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 21, 2007 12:31:48 AM

Just formatted and reinstalled XP Pro. Loaded the drivers that came with the motherboard to enable ethernet port, usb, etc .... load up the cd that came with the video card. (Same as I've done in the past) Connect up my ethernet cable and starting to find the lastest drivers from ATI website, etc and within minutes.... I seem to have picked up some adware from somewhere! Every few minutes a window that appears to be from Windows (not like a IE popup) will popup and says "Messenger Service" in the blue bar. In the window its says "CRITICAL ERROR MESSAGE! - REGISTRY DAMAGED AND CORRUPTED." Then it tells me to visit www.registrycleanerxp.com and download the cleaner. A few minutes later, it will pop up again and it will says basically the same thing but may point to a different website now.

I have already booted in safe mode and ran Spybot and AdAware. I have used McAFee to scan the hard drive. No help. Anyone ever heard of this?

More about : fresh install rid adware

Anonymous
March 21, 2007 11:17:12 AM

Just disable the Messenger Service.

Grumpy
March 25, 2007 11:42:14 PM

Try webroot spy sweeper. Also, try checking the task manager>>processes window for a process named messenger or something like that. If you're not actually using windows messenger, you're gonna wanna terminate that process.
March 26, 2007 12:40:44 AM

install service pack 2 will help reduce those pop up. do a full windows update.
!