going from 2GB to 3GB memory is worth it.

G

ok i have windows vista ultimate 32bit with 2gb 667 MHZ in dual channel on intel G965WH MB with 8800GTS 320 MB and pentium D 930. is it worth adding 1 more GB of memory. making it 3GB. thank a lot in advance guys.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
With windows vista it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. You will lose dual channel but dual channel only makes a ~5% difference. If you actually use that 3rd gig it will make up for that and so much more.

G

it will still be dual channel if i add two 512 sticks. i checked intel MB manual.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I recently added another stick to my computer. I went from 2 gigs, to 3, using 3 sticks now, i cannot tell a difference on performance. Meaning since the system does not run at DDR i thought i would see the difference, but i dont.

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
OT a little, I remember going from 256mb to 384mb under Windows NT 4 and thinking that I couldn't really tell the difference.

More on topic, I and likely a lot of others are asking the same question as you. Then there are those who have said Fv<x it and installed 4gb to start with. I don't think that 3GB is overkill in Vista, but you should survey your prime apps and see what you really need case by case. That really should tell you the answer.

This where we are, two GB not always enough. Four GB not utilized fully under 32bit OS, and Driver issues abound for 64bit OS. So I guess 3 GB is hardly the wrong answer.

dung.