blank screen - no post or bios screen.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
need help with new build. i bought some old tech from newegg on the cheap to hold me over until dx10 as well as create a silent pc, but when i went to power up, i get nothing. power supply, ram, hdd and dvd i have been using for year with no problems. bought new mb (Foxconn NF4K8MC-EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail), new cpu (amd 64 4000+ sd oem) and video card (GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail). i put it all in my silverstone sg01 which is nice but small and pain to swap parts inand out of.

when power up, case fans (including one connected to mb) and power light on case go on, but nothing else. no beeps, no bios, nada. one thing that's unusual is i can't even open the door to my dvd. all i get is blank screen. newegg has 7day policy on oem cpu's so i have to hurry with diagnosis. i also noticed they no longer have the video card i just bought. i had old ram lying around so already swapped that out. i know power suppply good since used it yesterday with old pc. i assume bad mb or video or cpu but not sure how to determine. i would love it to be video or cpu because mb will be a pain to remove and replace. thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice as well as how to deal with newegg on rma.

need help with new build. i bought some old tech from newegg on the cheap to hold me over until dx10 as well as create a silent pc, but when i went to power up, i get nothing. power supply, ram, hdd and dvd i have been using for year with no problems. bought new mb (Foxconn NF4K8MC-EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail), new cpu (60 4000+ sd oem) and video card (GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail). i put it all in my silverstone sg01 which is nice but small and pain to swap parts inand out of.

when power up, case fans (including one connected to mb) and power light on case go on, but nothing else. no beeps, no bios, nada. one thing that's unusual is i can't even open the door to my dvd. all i get is blank screen. newegg has 7day policy on oem cpu's so i have to hurry with diagnosis. i also noticed they no longer have the video card i just bought. i had old ram lying around so already swapped that out. i know power suppply good since used it yesterday with old pc. i assume bad mb or video or cpu but not sure how to determine. i would love it to be video or cpu because mb will be a pain to remove and replace. thanks in advance for any troubleshooting advice as well as how to deal with newegg on rma.

Try resetting the CMOS jumper. Be sure to unplug the power supply when you remove the battery and reset the jumper. Newegg has a limited amount of time for open box returns. Check on their site for exact time limits.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
i think it might be the motherboard.. becuz i have a similar problem.. where my fans run but no post or video output.. im gonna try to replace the mobo soon. but yeah good luck

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
should i send back both the mobo and cpu now? again, i have no way of testing one without the other. i'll submit an rma this afternoon w/ the egg.

kkorn4325

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Im having a similiar problem. Everything powers and my dvd drives drives open, on but no post or beeps. Is your psu powerful enough?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Do you have the PC speaker hooked up right? (-/+ orientation)

Did you try disconnecting the IDE cable to the DVD to see if will open up? Are the IDE cables designed to be pluged in one way, or the older without the lock? (The red or pink line indicates pin 1.)

Have you tried powering up the MB out of the case, on cardboard?

Try booting with 1 stick of ram, video card, with no DVD/HD hooked up.

Also try booting with no Ram to see if you can at least be sure the speaker is working.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
just replace the mobo.. im pretty sure that thats the prob.. if you have all the power connectors CORRECTLY connected but no post etc.. or video output.. and ur fan spins mobo has to be.. but make sure that you check everything..

everything seated correctly...power connected.. etc.

but yeah i've just came to conclude the mobo is it.. for me and prolly you guys

good luck

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
all ide connections tight and secure and only can fit one way. swapped out ram and then tried with only one stick. still nothing so submitted rma for mb and cpu to be safe. i'll send them back tomorrow. thanks for help.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
ok, so either i have REALLY bad luck (i'm irish so supposed to have good luck) or i'm retarded. just got replacement mobo/cpu from newegg, put whole thing together again in cramped case and same exact issue. i do have new video card arriving today (i will return the 7600gt) so i can see if the video card is a problem or not. i will try to disconnect ide cables and see if dvd door opens. very frustrating. it really is a pain to swap out stuff in this case because so small and i like to keep cables tucked away and neat. any other ideas not mentioned? hay carumba!

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
DVD drive door will not open?

It sounds like an install or power issue. Try setting up a minimum config on a work surface (set the MB on cardboard) and just use 1 stick of memory, video, and PSU to see if you can get it to POST. If it does not POST try the other stick of memory and connect a speaker to the MB to see if it reports any beep codes. It is possible that the PSU went and if you can verify it is still good do it. If it does POST then check the MB installation for places it may be shorting when it is installed in the cramped case.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i will see if i can try another psu. i used this on my old mobo but it just had the 20pin connector. this mobo requires the 20+4 so maybe the +4 is bad on psu? we'll see tonight. also, my sg01 case doesn't have a speaker but another case i have does. i should be able to hook that up to mobo to check for beep codes. as far as "case shorting", what should i be looking for? it should only be touching the mobo standoffs, right? there didn't appear to be any other metal touching it, but i will check again tonight.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
this mobo requires the 20+4 so maybe the +4 is bad on psu?

Try it without the +4 connected (on the 20+4). The extra pins were added for additional current handling not additional voltages and I doubt the MB needs that much power. I have several MBs that have the +4 not connected and have no problems. The DVD door should operate with only power connected to the drive which is why I suspect a power issue or a short. For looking for shorts it can be anything from something touching the back of the MB to even a solder bridge or damaged component on the MB causing the power issues. A bench setup will eliminate any chasis to board issues. I guess a quick test would be to connect only the DVD to the PSU and simulate the power on switch at the MB power connector and see if the door operates. If you have access to a volt meter you could check the PSU connector pins to be sure all of the rails were coming up.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i tried booting in cardboard box and made some progress. still no screen but at least dvd drive door opening and powered up. i guess i may have fried mobo/cpu. i hope my ram still ok - it was expensive. the cuplrit may be the backplate for the massive silverstone nt06. the backplate may be touching the bottom of the case. it has a felt side and a metal side. i have felt against mobo and metal facing case bottom. it's real thick so may be touching but can't tell due to edges of case blocking my view. should i have metal against mobo and felt facing case? the instructions are crap and show metal away from mobo like i currently have it.

fyi, i also tried it without the plus 4 connector and my dvd drive made a weird high pitched sound. anyway, looks like another cpu/mobo rma to newegg. next time i will start in cardboard and then if work add it to case. if you have any idea about which side of backplate should be facing mobo, please let me know. thanks.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
The back plate should be insulated from the MB. It sounds as if the 'felt' is to do this but take a look and make sure it is not punching through and shorting to the MB, and then when in the case shorting to the case. May actually be a couple of problems compounding each other.

As for the weird high pitched sound with the +4 connector not connected - have no idea. There should be no difference to the DVD in either case.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
when i removed the mobo to send it back to newegg over the weekend, i noticed 2 scratch marks in the bottom of the case. apparently the two screws to attach the back plate to mobo are definitely making contact with case bottom. i just find it ironic that a quality company like silverstone has this issue with their own cpu cooler made specifically for this case.

when i get my replacement board and cpu, what should i do? can i place part of the static bag along the bottom of case, or should i use something else? perhaps a thin plastic sheet or piece of rubber, perhaps one of those grippers useed for opening jars?

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I guess the good news is you found something that may be your problem. I do not know what you have available, but shorter screws may be an option as well (If you have access to a shop you may be able to cut / grind the existing screws). For the insulating layer, to with either plastic or rubber, whichever is tougher and less likely to wear through.

GL

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
The board is probably meant to have plastic contacts bye the heatsink/fan mount: if it doesn't have a silver ring around it don't put anything metal there.

you can look for a board that is meant to have metal screws for the mount, or can get a new heatsink / fan, or you can get plastic inserts / screws?

did you try reseating monitor cable on both ends, are any pins damaged in, it may not beep unless. also see if pc speaker plugged in,

reseat ram, reseat video card.

min config and nothing?

do fans just spin a little then stop?

DVD drive not open?, is jumper there? what is DVD drive

DID you plug in the 4-pin CPU power connector {see diagram}
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=13-186-066-05.jpg%2c13-186-066-01.jpg%2c13-186-066-02.jpg%2c13-186-066-03.jpg%2c13-186-066-04.jpg&CurImage=13-186-066-02.jpg&Depa=0&Description=Foxconn+NF4K8MC-EKRS+Socket+939+NVIDIA+nForce4+Micro+ATX+AMD+Motherboard+-+Retail

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i tried most of the steps you suggested and can't try the rest because i already mailed back the mobo/cpu. when i get replacement, i'll try it first outside of case and if works, i'll take measures to prevent another possible case short.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
best of luck.

happy system building :)

video card usually boots before MB bios {unless pci express changes that?}, get that working.

get a board with a light!: then you know if it is powered.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
what a piece of turd. after 2 rma's, my 3rd board did not work just like others so i took to local computer shop for sanity check. he confirmed board is dead and could not verify cpu. this stupid $60 board is starting to become real expensive with all the shipping costs back to newegg.

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Fool you once, shame on them. Fool you twice, shame on you. Fool you three times....that just plain sucks.

Think you need to not get that brand mobo anymore if thats the problem.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i agree. i called newegg and they emailed me a free ups shipping label and will provide a full refund once they receive them. gotta love the egg. gotta hate the winfast mATX board.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i figured i would provide a conclusion. i ordered a biostar geforce 6100-m9 matx board along with same 4000+ cpu and it arrived yesterday (newegg refund is for $128 and this cost $124). i put it together last night and no problems with same psu, ram and case. fired up first time and running great. foxconn/winfast must have some real crappy quality control.

i have to admit, i really started to doubt myself thinking i was doing something wrong to cause issue...