Quad core 1066 to 1333 OC?

ChefOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Hey all, at some point (next year, maybe) I will probably upgrade to a quad core processor. By then, I imagine they'll be running at 1333 FSB, since I hear that the current ones at 1066 are somewhat bottlenecked. My concern is that my mobo doesn't currently do 1333 FSB, and I don't want to upgrade it because I'm using OEM versions of XP and Vista. However, if I buy a 1333 FSB quad core proc and OC my mobo's FSB from 1066 to 1333, will it be just as good? Failing at that, any chance that Asus will release a BIOS update to support that FSB speed? :lol: (I'm using an Asus P5B, by the way)

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Mmmm, I think you are getting confused on what part the motherboard/chipsets role with a processor bus is.

One, if you buy a 1333 FSB processor be it either Dual core or Quad makes no difference to motherboard.

What happens is the processor and motherboard go through the POST process the processor signals the Clock generator to supply a 333 MHz clock which the processor then uses to make an effective 1333 Clock. This is not exactly what is going on but is easy to understand.

So if the motherboard/chipset and Bios does not support a 1333 FSB processor either by default or by overclocking then you are out of luck.

As for what you are hearing about a 1066 FSB limitation that is not true. JumpinJack has done several studies on his own and it has been shown out in many hardware sites that have done similar testing that a 1066 FSB does not slow down a Desktop Quad Core 1066 FSB processor. That is not the case for the Xeon server chips. It has been demonstrated that even a 1333 FSB can cause limitations. That is why Intel is going to release a 1600 FSB Xeon but not for desktops unless it will be an Extreme Edition processor.

I'm not sure what having an OEM version of XP or Vista will prevent you from using a 1333 FSB processor????? This is only a limitation of the motherboard/chipset and Bios.

Since the processor you are thinking about would most likely be a Penryn based quad core then at the moment from everything I have read in the forums is your ASUS board will not be able to use one of the Penryn Quad cores and the limitation would come down to the VRM of the motherboard.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I'm not sure what having an OEM version of XP or Vista will prevent you from using a 1333 FSB processor????? This is only a limitation of the motherboard/chipset and Bios.
I think the OP is saying he doesn't want to deal with M$ and explain why he needs to put the OEM OS on a different computer if he has to replace his motherboad since they key their anti-piracy stuff to the motherboard.

Also, in addition to the 680i boards as Jack pointed out, the Gigabyte P965 based boards as of rev 3.3 also officially support 1333 FSB. (I'm also typing from a Core 2 with 1333 FSB at the moment, albeit not a quad core).

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Right now any 680i motherboard officially supports 1333 MHz FSB, I am typing this message from a QX6700 overclocked to 3.33 GHz with an 1333 MHz FSB on a 680i motherboard ;)
How hot does that thing run at 3.33 GHz? I had thought of getting a quad but wasn't sure I could cool it properly.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Oh, okay that makes sense then. I have changed out motherboards before and yes I had to go the route of re-activating Windows but I never had to call M$. I only had to do the online version.

Got you beat. I'm typing on a Q6700 not overclock because I don't have an after market heatsink temperature about 43 C right now. I believe I need to get some more case cooling. :D

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Is that 43 C at load or just running Windoze and your browser? (My E6700 is currently at 23 C - I left speedstep on) but it tops out at 100% load (dual Prime95) at about 40 C running with 1333 FSB.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Just doing basic windows stuff. No heavy tasking at all. I have an external thermal sensor so I am running hotter than that but unless I'm playing a game or something I don't have my extra fans turning on.

I heard an interesting thing the otherday. Intel's Core processors idle at 12W or less now and when the E6x50 parts come out they will idle at 8W or less.

Right now the quad cores are supposed to idle at 22W or less.

ChefOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies, guys. That stuff about the 1333 MHz bus stuff is too bad, but I think hearing that the 1066s aren't overly bottlenecked is enough to overshadow that (I'm assuming that motherboards that support Core 2 Duo also support Core 2 Quad at the same FSB). I guess it's apparent that I don't follow quad-core news very closely, so if anyone could quickly fill me in on a couple of things:

Are current intel quads just two core 2s glued together, or are they actual native quad core? In not, when can we expect them? And lastly, what does Intel have in store for quad-core procs in the next few months?

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Thanks for the replies, guys. That stuff about the 1333 MHz bus stuff is too bad, but I think hearing that the 1066s aren't overly bottlenecked is enough to overshadow that (I'm assuming that motherboards that support Core 2 Duo also support Core 2 Quad at the same FSB). I guess it's apparent that I don't follow quad-core news very closely, so if anyone could quickly fill me in on a couple of things:

Are current intel quads just two core 2s glued together, or are they actual native quad core? In not, when can we expect them? And lastly, what does Intel have in store for quad-core procs in the next few months?
The Intel quads are two dual cores glued together. AMD is working on a native quad. Whether one design is better than the other is the subject of fanboy flamewars. I don't think Intel will have a "native" quad core until their Nehalem architecture. See previous comment regarding necessity of native quad core.

Most C2D motherboards support the C2Q, check the manufacturer's webpage for the boards you are considering/have to be sure.

Quad news - Q6600 is supposed to be $266 later this year, and 45 nm quad core "yorkfield" is coming this fall/winter as well.

Wispi

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Right now any 680i motherboard officially supports 1333 MHz FSB, I am typing this message from a QX6700 overclocked to 3.33 GHz with an 1333 MHz FSB on a 680i motherboard ;)
How hot does that thing run at 3.33 GHz? I had thought of getting a quad but wasn't sure I could cool it properly.

I ran my QX6800 with 1333 FSB with two copies of Orthos running (affinity cores 0,1 and affinity cores 2,3) for over 10 minutes and the Core Temp reading was 75 75 71 71 over the four cores. I do have Danger Den water block.

I don't have the air movement inside the case the way I want it, yet. The two EVGA GTX 8800 KO ACS3 video cards are "heaters".

Edit: obviously I dropped the multiplier to 10 (3.33GHz)

TRENDING THREADS