BSOD installing Vista

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Im hoping someone here will be able to help me as ive had no help from both microsoft and asus so far... first of all some specs of my machine with the trouble

Asus p5B deluxe wifi edition with updated BIOS
Intel E6300 core2
Corsair 1gb (2x512mb) C4 6400 RAM
Asus 7900GS
Seagate SATA2 200gb 7200rpm
and if it matters a Silverston LC16M case

Now im using this machine as a media centre to my 42" LCD via DVI2HDMI converter. i have windows media centre installed and working fine playing movies games both off dvds and hard drive on network everything nice.

trying to install vista home premium it goes through the install as normal till it reboots and goes into the completing installation part when it BSOD with an error in NVLDDMKM.sys no i know this is an Nvidia driver issue but i cannot for the life of me fix it. I have at one stage been able to delete the driver of the vista install before it installs, and had vista boot with no video driver installed. but as soon as i install one im greeted with the BSOD as soon as vista reboots. i have tried updating drivers from windows update site and latest from Nvidia (100.65) as well as the all popular 97.46 i think it is same with all of them. Please help me is anyone else having this problem??? so frustrating.

Solution
i have tried updating drivers from windows update site and latest from Nvidia (100.65)
Try the newer 101.45 beta drivers released in early March.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

They've fixed a lot of problems for people, both in games, and simple things like 8800's not waking up with 100.65 when PC is brought out of suspend state.

That said, the 101.45 drivers were causing blue screens for me when watching xvid videos, so I've gone back to 100.65.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Sounds like a bad install - your registry or some of your system files have corrupted out on you if even drivers from the sites are not working. With the amount of time required to troubleshoot it, I would recommend a reinstall - quicker, easier and if the problem happens again, you can definitely say it isn't a file corruption issue but hardware instead.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
i have tried updating drivers from windows update site and latest from Nvidia (100.65)

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

They've fixed a lot of problems for people, both in games, and simple things like 8800's not waking up with 100.65 when PC is brought out of suspend state.

That said, the 101.45 drivers were causing blue screens for me when watching xvid videos, so I've gone back to 100.65.

Solution

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Sounds like a bad install - your registry or some of your system files have corrupted

pkellmey i have tried reinstall a number of times, clean install upgrade from MCE so i cant see there being that many corrupt installs

Thanks Nonymous ill give these a try, sounds like you use Vista have you had any problems like this and what vid card have you got?

TRENDING THREADS