Help with really weird beep/sound problem in windows.

sinister_evil

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Morning all.

I am experiencing a strange problem in windows.

I recently compiled a new comp and made a fresh install of windows xp home.
Specs are :
E6600
Evga n680i mobo
Albatron 8800 GTS
2 GB / 800 Mhz Ram
320 WD Sata2 HDD.

I installed most of my programs from back-up discs i keep with the exception of Outpost Firewall, Nod 32, Daemon Tools and uTorrent.
I also installed a new program No-IP update client which automatically reports my IP to No-IP service so i can have a DNS with a dynamic IP.

Drivers etc are all up to date.

And here comes the problem (which either appeared or i noticed after the 3rd day). Every now and then i hear 2 beeps/sounds with less than a second between them. There is no pattern to it. Its completely random. The next 2 beeps may come 2 seconds or 2 hours later.
The sound is coming from the sound card and is the windows media file "Windows XP ding.wav" which is the default windows sound for "default warning" (im guessing thats the name cause im using a greek version of windows)(its the default sound when you press backspace in MSN but there is no text to delete).
I tried changing the sound from the sound option panel in control panel and the random beeps would change to whatever sound i chose.

Now there is no pop-up window or anything. Ive tried monitoring my firewall, AV etc in case its an alert for a specific event but it seems its not.
Ive checked the nvidia control panel in case it was monitoring temperatures or something and alerting me but temps etc are normal and its not configured to alert me on anything.
Ive checked the running processes but theres nothing out of the ordinary.
As i said most of my programs come from my personal back ups and havent created problems before. Those that are newer versions dont actually have sound alerts at all.
System works fine beyond that.

Its just... getting on my nerves.
Plus i dont just wanna mute it. I could easily do that by removing the sound. Im thinking maybe its something i should pay attention to.

So... Any ideas?

sinister_evil

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Thought i said so in the first post.

Theres a bunch of stuff in the event logs nothing i havent seen before. Mostly that windows cant synchronize the time etc.
But none of the events match the time(s) that i hear the beeps.
Plus as i said there are 2 beeps with an interval of no more than 1 seconds so im expecting to see 2 events reported at the same time or with a second difference. None exist.

On a side note : browsing through the MSN forum here i found a thread with a similar problem about the computer ringing at random (MSNs incomming call sound) and i then remembered that i originally had installed MSN messenger 8.1 that lagged every 2 minutes so i uninstalled it and used v8.0 and that was about the time i started hearing the beeps.
I uninstalled v8.0 and replaced it with 8.1 which does not seem to lag any more but although ive done this for more than 10 hours i was at work so i dont actually know if there were any beeps.

EDIT. the beeps are still there. :(
i was playing Stalker today. Graphic intense game running on high. Didnt have any problems nor did i get the beeps more frequently. Thus i assume that its not mobo-gfx-temperature-gonna-blow-something related.

AtR Anarchy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
This Obviously a sound card problem what your going to want to to is Check the sound card to see if it is the right bit type for the motherboard if not there's your problem find the right type and replace it it should fix your problem
hope this helps. -Alex- my email is apawzun@yahoo.com