Sign in with
Your question

Installed new CPU, system hangs during file transfer

Last response: in CPUs
April 30, 2007 7:17:12 AM

I just upgraded my system (from an A64-A64x2 S939). I have been having weird issues ever since the upgrade. First, my games were auto-minimizing and the like. I installed the Microsoft hotfix and the AMD dual-core optimizer. This didn't work, and then the system started rebooting randomly and told me that my GPU was being auto-throttled from a lack of sufficient power, so I thought that I would go ahead and reformat.

All of my problems seem to have been fixed by the reformat, other than the fact that, whenever I try to transfer something from the desktop to an external USB HDD or to my Ipod, the system almost always freezes. I checked inside the case, everything seems to be normal and firmly attached. I have doubts that the new CPU is causing this, but I out of ideas (PSU or MB, maybe?).

Specs:
AMD64x2 3800+
Abit AN8 Ultra (BIOS 1/19/06)
1 GB corsair RAM
NVidia 6800Gs (overclocked)
Seagate and WD interal HDDs
Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 100GB external drive
Antec SmartPower 500W PSU
Windows XP Sp2
April 30, 2007 8:40:42 AM

Get rid of the overclocking and try again.
April 30, 2007 9:16:11 AM

Quote:
Get rid of the (GPU) overclocking and try again.

True, as a first port of call.

If there is no change then you may be near the limits of your PSU or PSU failing.

Is the external HD self- or USB- powered? How many internal drives (you only state the two manufacturers)?

If mpilchfamily sees this thread he may have more info regarding power levels.

Q
Related resources
April 30, 2007 3:56:21 PM

I have two internal HDD's, one from each manufacturer that I listed. The external drive is self-powered. I tried transferring files in safe mode, it still froze up.
April 30, 2007 4:36:47 PM

Might sound stupid to ask, but did you unplug your GeF6800 power connector when you switch your cpu? I'm not exactly sure the GS model has a power connector, but if you unplugged it, that's most probably the source of your problems.

Open up your PC and make sure it's well inserted. Push on it to make sure. Maybe it's only partially out and doesn't give your GPU enough power.

Oh, and the Antec PSU is by no mean bad. It's in the above 30% of the PSU available quality wise. It'll give you what it's rated for, and your system shouldn't require this much energy. There are better product, but you shouldn't need to replace it.

Please no flaming, all I'm saying is that there is no shame in having an Antec PSU. To me and most reviewer, it's in the "good-enough" category, which doesn't equal to the "top-notch" category. Still, it's more then sufficient to not force you to replace it by a TT or FPS model of PSU, at least to my eye. :wink:
April 30, 2007 5:03:35 PM

Thanks for the info.

Right after the system told me that my GPU wasn't getting enough power, I shut it down and checked all of the connectors, everything seems fine.

I just ran my PC through a torture test, transferring 40+ GB between the two internal HDD's, and maxing out the CPU through mp3 encoding. It performed fine, the only problem seems to be when transferring to an external drive.

Using speedfan, the voltages coming from the PSU seem normal...
April 30, 2007 5:03:58 PM

That PSU should be more than enough.
April 30, 2007 5:48:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Right after the system told me that my GPU wasn't getting enough power, I shut it down and checked all of the connectors, everything seems fine.

I just ran my PC through a torture test, transferring 40+ GB between the two internal HDD's, and maxing out the CPU through mp3 encoding. It performed fine, the only problem seems to be when transferring to an external drive.

Using speedfan, the voltages coming from the PSU seem normal...

Did you reset all your clock speeds in the system to stock? Also, some boards have a problem with the SP2 USB drivers that come with windows. Check the driver install CD that came with your mobo for USB port mini-drivers. Keep us posted.
April 30, 2007 6:20:08 PM

Yes, I have reset my clock speeds.

I will give the mobo USB drivers a try, maybe that will work. Its strange though, because the only things i have changed since it worked last time are a new CPU (the A64x2) and a new Logitech G5 mouse. Additionally, I have tried setting the BIOS to optimized defaults, turning Cool n' Quiet off, but nothing seems to work.

My machine has randomly restarted two or three times in the last few days, maybe this is a PSU issue? I have never heard of a PSU causing a freeze during file transfer, but I guess anything is possible. The frustrating this is that I RMA'd my PSU last summer because it wouldn't let my system turn itself off. I am inquiring into the possibility of getting a new one from Antec again. Any thoughts?
April 30, 2007 6:39:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have reset my clock speeds.

I will give the mobo USB drivers a try, maybe that will work. Its strange though, because the only things i have changed since it worked last time are a new CPU (the A64x2) and a new Logitech G5 mouse. Additionally, I have tried setting the BIOS to optimized defaults, turning Cool n' Quiet off, but nothing seems to work.

My machine has randomly restarted two or three times in the last few days, maybe this is a PSU issue? I have never heard of a PSU causing a freeze during file transfer, but I guess anything is possible. The frustrating this is that I RMA'd my PSU last summer because it wouldn't let my system turn itself off. I am inquiring into the possibility of getting a new one from Antec again. Any thoughts?

I think you're on the right track with the power thing, but try new mobo drivers first.
You may have dirty power coming into your home as well. If that is the case, a UPS system would take care of that.
500W is plenty enough for your system, and Antec is a pretty reliable company in my experience.

This is a toughie.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2007 3:35:39 AM

Antec make good psus if you get the right models. The smartpower series are poor quality psus, regardless of their power rating. Ask mpilchfamily about them, he will explain to you whats so bad about them. Notice also that they arent in the psu reference list.
May 8, 2007 2:00:30 AM

Update:

I purchased and installed a new PSU, the recommended FSP 450-PN. Unfortunately, this has not solved my problem. I took the opportunity during my overhaul to inspect my motherboard, etc: everything looks fine (no bulging capacitors, dust, etc). I am really stumped about this one. I even tried unhooking all of my peripherals during an attempted transfer, no luck.

The transfers do seem to be going a bit longer before hanging up. I tried the "performance" setting with caching for the drive, upon crashing, I got a BSOD. Lucky me. I also gave the external drive a rigorous checkup with my aging laptop, the drive checked out fine. I will attempt to roll back drivers on my desktop, etc to see if that clears up the problem. Again, the only things that I have changed since this last worked (besides the new PSU) are a new AMDx2 s939 and accompanying drivers, and a logitech G5 mouse.

Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2007 3:22:29 AM

Might be L(D)ogitech drivers, they have cuased other problems for people in the past.
May 8, 2007 8:11:47 AM

Check if your MB needs a BIOS update to support the dual-core CPU properly.
It wasn't clear to me if you reinstalled Windows after the CPU upgrade. If not, you *may* have to do that (as at least a "repair install") to get Windows to install the appropriate code for your multiprocessor CPU (the Windows HAL code is different than for a uni-processor CPU).
May 8, 2007 5:42:05 PM

My MB BIOS is current; I have reinstalled windows about 5 times now with different driver configs, nothing seems to work. I tried older nforce4 drivers, newer ones, using the AMD CPU driver, not using the CPU driver, etc. I had some success when only using nforce4 drivers and no video driver, but as soon as I tried to transfer from the removable after video driver installation, it froze again. I tried WHQL-certified, older video drivers, etc. nothing.

For some reason, my machine rarely hangs up during transfers while in safe mode. I am beginning to think that this is a software, rather than a hardware, issue. Maybe just windows being stupid, I don't know. Its strange, though, because a few weeks ago it was working fine with my current driver setup. Its just after I installed my new A64x2 S939 (and subsequently reinstalled windows) that it has been giving me issues.
May 8, 2007 8:21:08 PM

did you run a checkdisk and or format this drive?

I might sound like an idiot but a possibility of the drive your trying to transfer to having errors. Not saying this will be the problem but it is a thought.

Now the GPU being throttled was that fixed with power issue? It might also be that it gets heated due to it's OC or you could have minorly fried it.

Regardless they are 2 separate issues.
May 8, 2007 8:47:53 PM

When you install nforce drivers are you enabling the nvidia firewall and all that crap? I have an AN8-SLI board and I always went around that, causes way too many problems. Also, I can't help but mention that the AN8 series was discontinued very quickly after its release, and replaced with the KN8 stuff. My board has already been RMA'd once when a ram slot randomly stopped working, and I believe it is dying again. So you might want to consider that it could be a problem with your motherboard.
May 8, 2007 9:46:26 PM

I believe that the power issue with the GPU was resolved with the new power supply. Vash, you may be right about the MB. I am still getting random restarts and USB transfer lockups.

BTW, i do not enable the nvidia firewall, i heard that it can cause some real headaches.

One of my RAM sticks was a little dirty, i cleaned it and even swapped it for a brand new one. No difference.
May 9, 2007 6:10:47 AM

Further Update:

While watching divx files, screen often just goes black, sound continues, but can't get picture back. This only happens while watching video from disk Potential GPU problem?

Then i realized that the system only hangs/restarts during heavy HDD usage. Checked both disks for errors, both passed. I ran Prime95 +spyware checking + web browsing for a while, no problems. Watch movie from disk, transfer files = lockups. I didn't notice any bulging caps, but maybe this is all a MB issue?
!