Sign in with
Your question

System restarts

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2007 6:24:30 AM

I just built my system this past week and whenever I go to run CPU-Z or Core Temp, my system randomly restarts. Sometimes it will restart if I run them both and sometimes it won't, but it seems to occur most of the time when I run them both at once. Everything else on my system has been running fine but those 2 programs always cause my system to restart. Is there any reason why this would be happening?

My system specs are:

Asus p5ne32-e SLI
E6600
Mushkin 6400 EPP 2 x 1gb

More about : system restarts

April 30, 2007 3:53:00 PM

Check your event logs for any errors. If there are none that refer to this issue then update your bios.
May 1, 2007 1:43:35 AM

I don't see any errors in the event viewer and it still restarts even after I updated my BIOS. I can always get it to happen if I run Core Temp, log off, and as I go to try and log back in again my system will restart. I haven't had it restart except when I try and run programs that gives me detailed info about my system (CPU-Z, Core Temp, Asus Probe..ect). I still can't figure out what it is.
Related resources
May 1, 2007 3:15:19 AM

Is it overclocked?

Check the system logs again, and look for a memory dump. It might not show up as an error, just a report of a dump or a mini-dump.

If there is mem dumps, the memory is either bad, or is overclocked too much. I had this same issue, and first blamed it on my old 300W PSU thinking it was being overdrawn.

Found the dump errors, and tested the memory. Memtest ran for a few minutes fine, but a Eurosoft PC Check test failed both sticks running at 208 mhz. I down-clocked it a little so they would run at 200 mhz (DDR 400) where they're supposed to be and they both passed, and havent had a problem since.

I guess Patriot RAM doesnt like to be OC'ed.
May 1, 2007 6:36:26 AM

I haven't overclocked yet, but I did a little more testing and found that it only happens when I run Core Temp. Has this program been known to cause any issues?
May 1, 2007 7:14:17 AM

Phew! I was starting to worry that some of my parts were bad. Thanks for the link.
!